Do Aero Road Bars look ok on Non Aero frames

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Aero Road bars on Non Aero frames

Looks cool, and it will be aero.
68%
Looks daft, don't build a frankenbike.
32%

Total votes: 109

dreden513

by dreden513

Looking for the opinion of the collective Weightweenie wisdom. Do Aero Road Bars look ok on Non Aero frames or does it look silly?

I am talking about running bars such as the Zipp SL70 Aero, Enve SES Aero or Easton EC90 Aero; on non aero frames like Cannondale Super Six, Specialized Tarmac or Felt F1. Let's hear it.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

dreden513 wrote:Do Aero Road Bars look ok on Non Aero frames?

Oui. Est-il pas le cas que souvent un guidon aérodynamique aura plus d'avantages que d'un cadre aérodynamique toutes choses étant égales?

(you can translate that) :wink:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dreden513

by dreden513

prendrefeu wrote:

Oui. Est-il pas le cas que souvent un guidon aérodynamique aura plus d'avantages que d'un cadre aérodynamique toutes choses étant égales?

Yes, I've heard that, but was under the impression, it depends on which frame vs which bars.

It seems the consensus so far thinks it looks fine aesthetically, and doesn't look out of place to pair the two.

stef

by stef

Mine with cervelo aero handlebar
20160208-0003.jpeg

Tenlegs

by Tenlegs

"Yes of course. Alice is the case in many instances the aerodynamic handlebars, there will be more advantages than the aerodynamics and equal framework"

How did I do????

dreden513

by dreden513

Tenlegs wrote:"Yes of course. Alice is the case in many instances the aerodynamic handlebars, there will be more advantages than the aerodynamics and equal framework"

How did I do????

Not bad, but this is slightly better translation:
"Yes. Is it not the case that often aerodynamic handlebars will have more advantages than an aerodynamic frame all things being equal?"

Tenlegs

by Tenlegs

hvala ti moj magarac ću te voljeti zauvijek !

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Correct.

@tenlegs :lol: That's more of a saddle issue.

53x12

by 53x12

prendrefeu wrote:

No that isn't the case.

Two of the top aero road handlebars on the market, Zipp SL-70 aero and the Cervelo S5 aero bar don't save more than going from a non-aero frame to an aero frame.

Zipp SL-70 saves 6.4 watts @ 30 mph over a round tube handlebar per Zipp: http://zipp.com/bars/sl-70-aero/

Cervelo S5 aero bar saves 4.4 watts @ 25 mph over a round tube handlebar per Cervelo: http://fitwerx.com/2015-cervelo-s5-review/

So all things being equal, a top end aero road frame will save more watts over a round tube frame than a top end aero road handlebar will save over a round tube handlebar.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

jekyll man

by jekyll man

I'm running a set of aeronovas on my full on winter bike with mudguards...
Its mean as f*** :lol:

Every second counts and all that on the commute :wink:
Actually its an experiment to see if I liked the shape before I lash out on an expensive pair for the summer bike. Tops get a bit cold with no bartape at 0°C :?
Official cafe stop tester

Tenlegs

by Tenlegs

If you have aerobars you're not allowed to use the tops. I'm sure it breaks one of the Rules.
As for using them with mudguards??? there's just no hope for people like you.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

@53x12,

How much does an 'average' (ie, affordable) "aero" frame (ie, not the Madone 9.9, Felt AR, S5, Vias) save over a typical non-aero bike?

While this is a comparison of apples and oranges, let's at least compare relative range of upgrade, no?

53x12

by 53x12

Pre,
That is why I said compare a "top" end aero road bar vs. a "top" end aero road frame as that does the best job for this comparison as it is a comparable relative range of upgrade; top vs. top. No?

Also, it is hard to rank "average" aero road bars as there are only a few aero road bars on the market now and only a few of those have made aero claims from the wind tunnel. I haven't seen any aero data from Specialized regarding their Aerofly or from 3T regarding their Aeronova or from Enve regarding their SES aero road bar.

If the top aero road frames save 25-30 w over a traditional round tube frame, then you can get an idea of what average would be from that. Also you can look at this year's and past year's Velonews and Tour Magazine aero tests if you want to get an idea of what an "average" aero road bike does.

Also of note, remember your translation statement is: "Yes. Is it not the case that often aerodynamic handlebars will have more advantages than an aerodynamic frame all things being equal?" If you want all things being equal, you would have to compare top vs. top or average vs. average and we don't have data for average aero road bars.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

I guess while the SL-70 is a top aero handlebar, on pure cost alone it's a heck of a lot more accessible to go "top aero" on handlebar than go "top aero" on a frame, which may be why in my head I'm not thinking of a handlebar, even if it is the most aero, as being the same category of tier as a Madone 9.9 for example... which has its own handlebar anyway.

53x12

by 53x12

^ Why is it not accessible to go "top aero" on a frame? Plenty of guys spend +$10,000 on their bikes on here. Plenty of guys spend +$4,000 on their 'regular' road bike frames. A top end aero road frame is no more expensive than a top end traditional road frame. Not sure why this expense issue keeps getting raised.

Also, the $350 for a Zipp SL-70 aero (can find it for $300) is no more expensive than other top end 'regular' road bars. Look at the price of the Enve road road bar at $350 or Zipp SL bar @ $350.

So again, price for a top end aero piece of equipment is no different than what people spend for 'top end' regular non-aero equipment.

Next complaint please.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com