Do Aero Road Bars look ok on Non Aero frames

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Aero Road bars on Non Aero frames

Looks cool, and it will be aero.
68%
Looks daft, don't build a frankenbike.
32%

Total votes: 109

Derf

by Derf

53x12 wrote:
Derf wrote:53x12--as the very guy harping on focusing on low yaw, you've got to be able to see that a downtube is going to be projecting an ellipse into a headwind. I mean, geometry an all? Sure, we can talk about all the other tubes on the bike, but at least the DT is going to sorta be elliptical.

I'm just saying reality works differently than we think it will by just looking at it and passing it through our "eye windtunnel." As I noted above with the kamm tail example, shapes behave very differently in reality than we might expect by just looking at them. I haven't seen any real windtunnel data (visual of what air does around and after the tubes) for a regular small diameter steel frame. Yes there is the Specialized test with Venge vs steel Allez, but that doesn't show you what the air is doing due to air flow interaction. Even a CFD would be fine.

Sure, and my point was that it's better than nothing. Probably not much better.

Then again, with enough used last-gen aero bikes (to whatever gain you get) on the market, I'd hope someone trying to budget-aero wouldn't be picking up a steel round tube bike for that purpose.

Marin

by Marin

wheelsONfire wrote:I kind of have a hard time looking at microscopic benefits when i know the UCI rules are hindering many things (it's what i was told anyway)!

If you forget the UCI rules, you get a recumbent with full fairing. MEGA fast - look up the land speed or hour records.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

Todd Reichert 2015 139.45 km/h (86.65 mph) Faired Recumbent,Flat surface, unpaced

Marin

by Marin

Just posting this to put potential aero gains into perspective. Recumbent hour record is 91.5 km btw.

NGtim

by NGtim

Much prefer traditional style bars on non-aero frames! Surprised at the results actually. 70% for and 30% against.

dak

by dak

My 2 cents; go with the bike and bars you think look and feel the best, and enjoy the ride. Unless you are paid to ride a specific bike or make a living riding bikes. I went back and forth b/w aero and non-aero bikes for my last build and I ended up going with a non-aero bike but with aero wheels and bars. It rides SUPER plush and still takes advantage of some of the bigger available aero gains. As far as esthetics, go with what makes you happy, not what others like. I think my bike looks awesome and it makes me smile every time I see it or ride it. That's what really matters! :beerchug:

My 2016 Evo Hi-Mod
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141400

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Aerobars are look great.. I run canyon h11 on my round tube Parlee z5sli.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package