Do Aero Road Bars look ok on Non Aero frames

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Aero Road bars on Non Aero frames

Looks cool, and it will be aero.
68%
Looks daft, don't build a frankenbike.
32%

Total votes: 109

istigatrice

by istigatrice

I think what prendrefeu means is that it's more accessible when you only have a total budget of $4000 (or less). Chalking up $350 is doable, whereas an 'top end' aero frame isn't (at this price range).

Getting back to the original question, I'd say it looks cool. It won't be super light though...
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

Marin

by Marin

I think he meant to that 300 is less than 4000, which I think is correct.

Edit - to slow

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stoney

by stoney

So regarding the Zipp SL-70, if you can save 6 watts for $300.00 that sounds like a pretty good watts per dollars when you consider what a top end aero frame or wheel set would cost. I think that may be my next upgrade.

53x12

by 53x12

istigatrice wrote:I think what prendrefeu means is that it's more accessible when you only have a total budget of $4000 (or less). Chalking up $350 is doable, whereas an 'top end' aero frame isn't (at this price range).

Sure a aero road frame is accessible in a total budget of $4000, buy used. Or, don't buy the top end AR FRD but buy the cheaper AR1 which is the same aero as the AR FRD.

The discussion at hand was based off the statement that: "Is it not the case that often aerodynamic handlebars will have more advantages than an aerodynamic frame all things being equal?" The answer is no, aero handlebars don't have more advantages than an aero frame. An aero frame will save you >>>>>> compared to a non aero road bike vs. an aero road handlebar >> over a traditional round non-aero bar.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Maximizing $/g (in terms of aero) is an advantage.

Chill out with the extremes.

Here is a very basic scenario in which we take a 'regular level' ride setup from someone who is somewhat serious about their riding (ie, they maintain their bike) and see what they may need to do to 'go aero'... and look! Just look at that advantage in getting the aerobars ($/second here) vs. getting that aeroframe! That's a hell of an advantage as far as money is concerned, budget or not. Yes the data is a little more interested in Tri situations, but it's close enough in concept.

Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

53x12

by 53x12

~ 6 watts (top end aero road bars) vs. ~20-30 watts (top end aero road frame).

Which is more advantageous, 6w or <<< 20-30 watts?

"Is it not the case that often aerodynamic handlebars will have more advantages than an aerodynamic frame all things being equal?"

Now a different discussion has come up, where we are including price. That is a completely different discussion. But an aero road frame has "more advantages" than an aero road handlebars all things being equal.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

Skunkworks

by Skunkworks

In my opinion, only aero shaped dropbar (w/o TT bar) looks nice.

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

I'm surprised nobody mentioned wheels yet. If you have aero wheels on your non-aero frame an aero drop bar won't look out of place. If you have a very traditional style frame and wheels the aero bar will stand out.

dreden513

by dreden513

Lelandjt wrote:I'm surprised nobody mentioned wheels yet. If you have aero wheels on your non-aero frame an aero drop bar won't look out of place. If you have a very traditional style frame and wheels the aero bar will stand out.

Good point. However I will be running deeper (Zipp 404) and shallower (Shimano C35) wheels, depending on condition, so I guess that doesn't really determine things one way or the other.

emcardle

by emcardle

prendrefeu wrote:Maximizing $/g (in terms of aero) is an advantage.

Chill out with the extremes.

Here is a very basic scenario in which we take a 'regular level' ride setup from someone who is somewhat serious about their riding (ie, they maintain their bike) and see what they may need to do to 'go aero'... and look! Just look at that advantage in getting the aerobars ($/second here) vs. getting that aeroframe! That's a hell of an advantage as far as money is concerned, budget or not. Yes the data is a little more interested in Tri situations, but it's close enough in concept.

What website is that?

Lieblingsleguan

by Lieblingsleguan

Tour mag tests don't show the advantage of the frame alone, they test systems of frame, wheels and handlebars.

The only slightly aerodynamically optimized Canyon Ultimate with the integrated Canyon handlebar and Zipp 404 wheels did test better than some of the aerobikes in the last test.

The worst of the bunch, the new Merida Scultura with Fulcrum Racing Zero wheels and standard handlebars is 29W worse than the best aerobikes in the test. So, 29W is the sum of wheels, handlebars and frame.

53x12

by 53x12

Lieblingsleguan wrote:Tour mag tests don't show the advantage of the frame alone, they test systems of frame, wheels and handlebars.

The only slightly aerodynamically optimized Canyon Ultimate with the integrated Canyon handlebar and Zipp 404 wheels did test better than some of the aerobikes in the last test.

The worst of the bunch, the new Merida Scultura with Fulcrum Racing Zero wheels and standard handlebars is 29W worse than the best aerobikes in the test. So, 29W is the sum of wheels, handlebars and frame.

From Cervelo, they have said their S5 is ~25 watts faster than their R series. The R series with the Squovel shaped tubes is around 10 watts faster than a typical round tube road frame.

From Felt, they have said their AR frame is ~35 watts faster than their F series.

This is frame against frame, with the same components on the frame and same size of aero frame vs. size of regular frame.

AndreLM

by AndreLM

I recall SuperDave mentioning that they used a Zipp aero bar and wheels to compare with the other aero frames when the AR was launched.

I don't remember if there was anything specific when he compared the AR and F series.

coneill0422

by coneill0422

My opinion is that if you can make incremental aero upgrades it all adds up, much like the WW idea of every gram counts down to the amount of bar tape and end plugs. If you can add a little aero advantage for the same money and not too much weight penalty, doesn't it all add up? Lastly, if your have a good non-aero high-end bike your getting some comfort which might negate some fatigue (most of the new top tier aero bikes are going in this direction as it is, i.e. Trek ISO Seatpost).
Last edited by coneill0422 on Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.

rainerhq

by rainerhq

Exactly :beerchug:
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com