Frame recommendations for wide rims

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mogwaiboi

by mogwaiboi

Hi All

Just after some info on any frames people can recommend that will accommodate wide rims. I've currently got a Cervelo R3 2012 running HED Belgium Plus. I initially transferred my Schwalbe Ultremo ZX 25mm tyres across but they were occasionally rubbing the seat stays. I now have GP4000s 23mm but as they run large anyway it is still a very tight fit. I've been thinking about a new bike for a while anyway so this seems like the perfect excuse! I don't want another Cervelo as I'm of the mind that it's good to mix it up and get something different when upgrading. The bikes I'm considering are below - if anyone has one and can let me know what sort of tyre clearance they have it would be much appreciated. Or something else they think I should consider. The bike is purely for recreational riding as I don't do any racing...more hills than flats. Thanks :D

Canyon Ultimate
Focus Cayo or Izalco
Scott Addict or Solace
Cannondale Supersix or Synapse
Canyon Ultimate CF SL
Canyon Grizl CF SLX
Open U.P.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikerector

by bikerector

Norco tactic is what I have an I've been running 28mm maxxis refuse for training and winter miles for a while now with good success. There's plenty of room left. I believe Norco is easily available in Australia as well since it seems like many pre-sale reviews come out of there, at least for mtb. The norco valence, the endurance road model, has decent clearance as well and I believe the new disc equipped valence can take up to 32mm tires. I was considering the disc valence as a gravel bike since I often do 50/50 road/gravel rides and I never cared for the more relaxed front ends on pavement and most gravel in my area is hardpack.

The cannondale synapse should have reasonable clearance as well from what I've discussed with friends that have them.

Ghost234

by Ghost234

I know you don't want another Cervelo; but they have made more tire clearance in the newer models. My S5 has Ardennes + with 25's on (they measure 27) and I have lots of room. I even tried 28's but they were 'just' touching (they measured 30.3).

Most of the bikes you have listed are very good. I used to race on a focus Izalco and I hated it. Very heavy frame and had a very "dead log" feel to the ride. Everything else there is top notch.

One bike I would consider if you are looking for something with lots of clearance is the Trek Emonda. My friend ran Belgium + rims with 28/30c tires and had no issue (he couldn't run 30 in the front because it was just a touch too close) on his Emonda SL.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I'll vouch for the Emonda SL as well. I got it specifically for three reasons... real road race geometry, plenty of clearance, and I just like the looks of it. Plus, it's a really well thought out frame, with good cable routing and it's easy to work on. I have full fenders on it (running 25mm tubulars) and have a really nice winter/rain bike. No regrets. But if you didn't want fenders, then theres even more clearance and you have a really nice fine weather road bike regardless.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

mogwaiboi

by mogwaiboi

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'll check out the Norco and Trek as well.
Canyon Ultimate CF SL
Canyon Grizl CF SLX
Open U.P.