Anyone make a aero spider for Specialized S-works crank?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tranzformer

by tranzformer

Anyone seen a aero spider for a Specialized S-Works crank? I have looked all over and all I can find are the standard and compact road spiders made of carbon or aluminum. Can't find an aero version anywhere.

NealH

by NealH

I doubt the industry has instruments with the resolving power to differentiate between a standard S-Works spider and a hypothetical 'aero' spider.

Verdict: Focus your attention to areas that can make a difference (body position, clothes, wheels, helmet, etc).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tranzformer

by tranzformer

Verdict: Neal, don't jump to conclusions. I was not interested in a aero spider for my crank for any performance gains. I want it because I like the looks of it and want it for a build I plan on doing.

Can a man do that in this day and age? Buy something because he likes the look of it? Sheeesh.

Qman

by Qman

I don't know if there are any commercially available.

I've had two or three other people asking me if I could make an aero spider. If there's enough interest I might make some this summer. I posted a conceptual design in this thread: http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=128493

I would need to work out the details of the design, but I already have tooling that I can use to fabricate it. If people just want a smooth outside surface then it wouldn't be too much work. If they also want a smooth inside, then I'd need to add a fairing.

So, if people are interested, I can look into it...

newforker

by newforker

Count me in for one, Qman!!!

Just read the attached thread..count me in for one of the Shimano 110/ Specialized spiders as well!!

tranzformer

by tranzformer

Qman wrote:I don't know if there are any commercially available.

I've had two or three other people asking me if I could make an aero spider. If there's enough interest I might make some this summer. I posted a conceptual design in this thread: http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=128493

I would need to work out the details of the design, but I already have tooling that I can use to fabricate it. If people just want a smooth outside surface then it wouldn't be too much work. If they also want a smooth inside, then I'd need to add a fairing.

So, if people are interested, I can look into it...

That would be very nice. I like the conceptual design you have done. Looks very clean. I like!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com