Anyone make a aero spider for Specialized S-works crank?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tranzformer

by tranzformer

Anyone seen a aero spider for a Specialized S-Works crank? I have looked all over and all I can find are the standard and compact road spiders made of carbon or aluminum. Can't find an aero version anywhere.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NealH

by NealH

I doubt the industry has instruments with the resolving power to differentiate between a standard S-Works spider and a hypothetical 'aero' spider.

Verdict: Focus your attention to areas that can make a difference (body position, clothes, wheels, helmet, etc).

tranzformer

by tranzformer

Verdict: Neal, don't jump to conclusions. I was not interested in a aero spider for my crank for any performance gains. I want it because I like the looks of it and want it for a build I plan on doing.

Can a man do that in this day and age? Buy something because he likes the look of it? Sheeesh.

Qman

by Qman

I don't know if there are any commercially available.

I've had two or three other people asking me if I could make an aero spider. If there's enough interest I might make some this summer. I posted a conceptual design in this thread: http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=128493

I would need to work out the details of the design, but I already have tooling that I can use to fabricate it. If people just want a smooth outside surface then it wouldn't be too much work. If they also want a smooth inside, then I'd need to add a fairing.

So, if people are interested, I can look into it...

newforker

by newforker

Count me in for one, Qman!!!

Just read the attached thread..count me in for one of the Shimano 110/ Specialized spiders as well!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tranzformer

by tranzformer

Qman wrote:I don't know if there are any commercially available.

I've had two or three other people asking me if I could make an aero spider. If there's enough interest I might make some this summer. I posted a conceptual design in this thread: http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=128493

I would need to work out the details of the design, but I already have tooling that I can use to fabricate it. If people just want a smooth outside surface then it wouldn't be too much work. If they also want a smooth inside, then I'd need to add a fairing.

So, if people are interested, I can look into it...

That would be very nice. I like the conceptual design you have done. Looks very clean. I like!