New wheels - Enve or lightweight

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

What wheel set would you choose?

Enve SES 4.5 - Chris King
56%
Lightweight MEILENSTEIN Clincher - 16/20
44%

Total votes: 103

djqgmffj

by djqgmffj

i vote for ENVE 4.5
chrisking hub good

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kgt

by kgt

spud wrote: And I sure would rather not spend the $ on LW - random shit can happen when riding/racing, and wiping out a mega $ wheel set would really bum me out.

I can understand that but in case of a serious accident I would care more about damaging my frame - or even breaking parts of my body - than destroying my wheels.
I mean if someone is afraid of the 'bad moment' then he should also ride a cheap alu frame and a 105 groupset and not expensive carbon frame and parts.

ebsilon

by ebsilon

Hello All :D

Lightweights are coming in soon - I was afraid that the Enve was to wide for my old frame. Only 2mm clearance on each side of the rim (Enve 4.5) to the stays.

Now I hope that I will be satisfied with the Lightweights.

Thank you all for participating to the thread.

Ciao

Esben
Speed of Lite

Timujin

by Timujin

markyboy wrote:
cmcdonnell wrote:Agree 100% on the Bora's! Couldn't be happier with mine, considered all the usual options and went with the Bora Ultra 50C darn label. Best looking wheels out there imho and can't fault the performance.

Yes I agree with this,i have had the enve 6.7 wheels and the braking was absolute shite, enve wheels very overpriced and nothing compared to campy bora ultra imo.

if only they did a 60mm profile... i have a set of 35mm, hard to press the buy 50mm button!

colster

by colster

Hey Ebsilon - I think you made the sensible wheel choice in regards to tyre clearance.

I say this as I have a 2004 Litespeed Vortex, and rode it with Zipp 404 Firecrests for a while, and when riding with 25mm tubs they rubbed the chainstay - admittedly not enough that I could definitively feel it while riding, but a mark was clearly visible on the tub sidewall from this rubbing. Having said that I found Zipp 404's lateral stiffness appallingly poor for such an allegedly premium wheelset, so that issue may not necessarily apply to Enve and other wide rimmed wheelsets.

Still I would be hesitant about fitting wide rims to my Litespeed Vortex after that experience, and think you're Lightweights will be a fine choice - be sure to post once you've finished the build!

Ahillock

by Ahillock

colster wrote:Hey Ebsilon - I think you made the sensible wheel choice in regards to tyre clearance.

I say this as I have a 2004 Litespeed Vortex, and rode it with Zipp 404 Firecrests for a while, and when riding with 25mm tubs they rubbed the chainstay - admittedly not enough that I could definitively feel it while riding, but a mark was clearly visible on the tub sidewall from this rubbing. Having said that I found Zipp 404's lateral stiffness appallingly poor for such an allegedly premium wheelset, so that issue may not necessarily apply to Enve and other wide rimmed wheelsets.

Still I would be hesitant about fitting wide rims to my Litespeed Vortex after that experience, and think you're Lightweights will be a fine choice - be sure to post once you've finished the build!

Probably flex from the Vortex frame and not the wheels.

colster

by colster

May well be a case of it takes 2 to tango - some flex from the wheel, some from the frame. The rear triangle of ti frames is usually their achilles heel, though the fact remains that I have ridden other (much cheaper) wheels than Zipps, such as mavic Ksyrium SL's and Fulcrum Racing Quattro's, and am able to run the brake calipers much tighter. The Zipp's looked really good, but were never a good match for that frame.

kgt

by kgt

That's an area were LWs are miles ahead of most other hi-end wheels: stiffness.

jwfinesse

by jwfinesse

Didn't Lightweight announce a revised Meilenstein "Pro" model at Eurobike last summer?

From what I can remember, Meilenstein Pros will maintain the "old" rim shape, but with spokes resembling a sock-line carbon tubing.