Hongfu FM098 2016 new Frame

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Steenj

by Steenj

Have any one of you Hongfu's new aero road frame fm098. It' s NOT the Dengfu fm098 frame, total new. It's look, from my point of view, very nice, but how is it perform? I will build a new bike this spring and the choice is between Hongfu fm098 and fm169, both aero road frames. I do not like the rear brake placement on the fm169 and its too heavy. The fm098 have a fair weight for an aero frame at 1050g, so I have this frame as favorite. Would like to hear yours comment about these two frames.
I have riding Hongfu fm001 frame in 4 years now and haven't had any issues, so have no concerns about Hongfu frames, but just want to make the best choice of those two frames.

Bluechip

by Bluechip

I hadn't noticed that one before. They only have computer drawings of it so far so I bet they haven't produced any yet. It looks a little odd in the geometry table. Very high stack for it size. More like an endurance/aero design. It could be what I'm looking for in a 24 hr type bike, but I'll probably wait until a few reviews come in.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

Really weird. Look at the wheelbase and head angle.

The FM169 has the best geometry I've seen, for me. I might be able to get rid of toe overlap and use a stem shorter than 140mm.

formerly rruff...

hornedfrog

by hornedfrog

And basically 80mm bb drop. Bold.

Ha but really, that's probably what is contributing to that monster stack.

That chart is whack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steenj

by Steenj

I can be concerned if the long wheelbase can couse slowly reaction under acceleration. Maybe a good frame for fast flat driving, but for climbing and change of speed, as is some of the strategy when you want to put the competitors of, when it goes uphill? Then the old dilemma what is best for average driving, road or aero? Maybe the fm069 is a better choice for alround bike?

euan

by euan

Someone has made an aero endurance road bike

Bluechip

by Bluechip

They also have a new gravel bike but at the moment it looks like it doesn't have disc brakes. Of course it's only a computer model. It probably will in the final version.

maxxevv

by maxxevv

euan wrote:Someone has made an aero endurance road bike

I would think so too !

Going to be extremely stable and probably steers like a boat too. But for guys who love carving lines down winding downhills, its probably be a sweet, stable bike.

DNT

by DNT

I just pulled the trigger on this HF-fm098 frame. I was in the same position, deciding between the fm169, and fm098. Since I already had an aero frame, a Ridley Noah Fast, i went with this one. We'll see how it goes.
Last edited by DNT on Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

Can that geo chart be right?

Bluechip

by Bluechip

They have an almost identical 028 carbon road gravel bike that has the same geo chart. Maybe they have the wrong chart on the 098. Or they are identical except for tire sizes and axle width.

Swano

by Swano

DNT wrote:I just pulled the trigger on this HF-fm098 frame. I was in the same position, deciding between the fm169, and fm098. Since I already had an aero frame, a Ridley Noah Fast, i went with this one. We'll see how it goes.

So, how's the HF-FM098 treating you?

Phil =)

justarider

by justarider

In the same boat as to what to go for here - any FM098 owners want to share how they're getting on?

Hexsense

by Hexsense

EDIT: didn't notice that this is an old topic digged up by justarider. i didn't mean to reply a post almost a year old.

Code: Select all

[quote="WMW"]
The FM169 has the best geometry I've seen, for me. I might be able to get rid of toe overlap and use a stem shorter than 140mm.

[img]http://www.hongfu-bikes.com/pic/other/image/2015-10-12-18-58-544.jpg[/img][/quote]

if you are interested in eliminating toe overlap, Workswell 081 is another option.
it has 1.5cm shorter chainstay and also ~1.5cm (depend on size) shorter wheelbase, thus similar length front center.
don't know how steeper head tube angle but more fork rake (thus more trail) will affact handling.
[img]http://www.21cnb2b.com/Pictures/2/17/60317754305-workswell_WCB_R_081_High_Quality_Aero_Carbon_Road_Bicycle_Frame_UD_Matte_BSA_BB30_Full_carbon_fiber_Road_Bicycle_Fram.jpg[/img]

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

what is the tire clearance?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com