Stem/bar question (new Emonda build) + wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

clipsed

by clipsed

Hi Guys,

So I just purchased a built up Emonda SLR 9 with Enve's / Di2 / XXX bars and stem and was looking for some options.

As a rider, I do a lot of climbing, but have quite a high peak power for my size (75kg, 1500w = 1 sec, 700w = 60 sec for reference).

I currently have 3T bar/stems which I don't find too flexy. however, after trying my new bont carbon setup it seems VERY flexy.

I came with a 100mm stem (I need 130mm) so I will buy a new one, I was thinking of going the 130mm bont xxx to keep with the theme, but I am having doubts...

I do have a spare 3T alloy stem lying around I could put on, but it might not look right. To remove/reduce the flex, is it more related to the STEM or the BARS?

Regarding the wheels, I currently run 303/404 with the 2015 v9 Hub. How will the 3.4s laced to dt240 compare? I am most concerned with power transfer/stiffness. So far the zipps seem fine to handle 1500w.

cheers,
Last edited by clipsed on Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

jdc5r

by jdc5r

I would highly recommend you having a read of Fairwheels stem/handlebar review :)

http://blog.fairwheelbikes.com/reviews- ... em-review/

http://blog.fairwheelbikes.com/reviews- ... ar-review/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

clipsed wrote:...To remove/reduce the flex, is it more related to the STEM or the BARS?

cheers,

I think it's a combination of both. Not sure which is more important; if you've got a flexy stem but stiff bars, it's still going to feel flexy. And vice versa. Plus, don't rule out the superlight wheels either. There's a reason they have a 180lb weight limit on the SLR. Even if you are well below 180lbs, it's still not going to be as strong as something without that restriction.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

clipsed

by clipsed

SLR frame is 275lbs limit.

clipsed

by clipsed

Updated topic to include enve vs zipp wheels.

2015 v9 303/404 vs. enve 3.4 SES. I currently use the zipps, seem ok.

Main critera in order.

1. Stiffness
2. Durability/Robustness
3. Aero
4. Weight

russianbear

by russianbear

The XXX stem is probably stiffer than the 3T - which is no slouch, but it's also quite a bit heavier. A bar stem combo like the PRO Stealth is the stiffest option, especially if you're putting weight last.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

clipsed wrote:SLR frame is 275lbs limit.

I stand corrected. OP does not have the SLR10 with the ultralight wheels etc. That is the model with the weight limit on it, as a complete bike (due in part to the superlight wheels etc). Sorry.... Just double checked and it's the Tune components on the SLR 10 that have the weight limit of 90kg (198lbs), so I was wrong about the 180lb limit as well.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

clipsed

by clipsed

No worries.

I took the bike up for a few short power climbs (1200w peak) and I noticed some clicking noises, perhaps 3-4 per pedal stroke maybe coming from the front wheel. Could that be the spokes moving around inside the drill holes of the rims? The rear actually felt stiffer than the zipps!

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

If you know the stem length & bar you want, consider sending them to Predator to bond together (i.e. their "Major" integrated setup).
Or there are others who do this service.

They are currently out of in-stock integrated bars, but they still do the custom service, and even offer a DIY kit:
http://predatorcycling.com/collections/carbon-supplies

Most everyone who gets their stem & bar integrated are amazed by the increased stiffness and control.

(no affiliation whatsoever to the company)

But if integrated is not your cup o' tea, then the Pro Vibe stem would certainly help add stiffness.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com