S-Works Road or S-Works Road 6

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ryecyclist

by ryecyclist

I have the chance to buy last years S-Works road shoes for $300.00 or wait for the new S-Works Road 6 and pay $400, for those of you that have tried the new model is it worth the additional $100?
Also I noticed that with the 2015 model I need to size up from a 44 that I wore on my older Experts to a 45 in the S-Works as my toe was touching when I tried the 44 and even the 44.5 do the S-Works run that small :?: or is it normal for your toes to be a little cramped in road shoes? :noidea:

Thanks

han1337

by han1337

Last years shoes where great - (thats an understatement)

Cant tell you about the new ones - still waiting for mine unfortunately :/
When i get them i will write a few lines about them.

Most important is with shoes - they should fit really well - everything else is a bonus.
Try on both if possible.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

EdGr

by EdGr

I don't care what shoes cost anymore, I just want happy feet. So I'd go with whatever fits best.

The fit b/t last year & the 6 is quite different. Previous model was quite narrow, and the 6 has an aggressive heel lock in addition to a wider toebox.

EightFiveTwo

by EightFiveTwo

ryecyclist wrote:I have the chance to buy last years S-Works road shoes for $300.00 or wait for the new S-Works Road 6 and pay $400, for those of you that have tried the new model is it worth the additional $100?
Also I noticed that with the 2015 model I need to size up from a 44 that I wore on my older Experts to a 45 in the S-Works as my toe was touching when I tried the 44 and even the 44.5 do the S-Works run that small :?: or is it normal for your toes to be a little cramped in road shoes? :noidea:

Thanks

IMO -- you have to size up that much because your foot-type does not fit well with this design, which means your feet are not sitting at the right spot (inside the shoes). Therefore, it feels "tight".

I have both 2015' version and S-Works 6, both same size 44. While the length is the same, everything else fit/feel differently. I have skinny/low-volume feet, and I can say the thickness of the 6's is lower (thinner) while the toe area is actually wider than 2015's. Also, the material used for the 6's is different, which feels stiffer.

jekyll man

by jekyll man

2015 sworks shoes are a different shape than previous ones.
2016 has reverted back to what they were before.

Seems a lot of people didn't get on with them, so try before you buy :thumbup:
Official cafe stop tester

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

2016 narrower in the heel due to reinforcement. You should consider laces over boa http://specialized.com/us/en/ftr/shoes/ ... works-sub6
Cleats can be moved extra 5mm rearward like on Shimano shoes (ultra wide fit).

Overall the fit is fantastic, I can't think of a reason to go back to older 2015 pair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

cerro

by cerro

The 2015 shoes is great but the new 6 is just a step above. Looks tighter but more space for your toes and the heelcap feels amazing. I got a pair of 2015 S-Works shoes in size 42,5. Had to go down to 42 for the new ones to feel perfect. But I bought a pair of Sub6 instead ;)

ryecyclist

by ryecyclist

Thanks all, where the 2015's feel like slippers, I'm a little concerned that I had to go up to a 45 to keep my toes from touching. Maybe I'll wait until I can find the new 2016 model before I pull the trigger.

ohhyeok90

by ohhyeok90

they advertise improvements, but some people says old one's better.

mostly due to hill cup.

it make shoes more durable and solid grip, but make some people uncomfortable.

i recommend wear shoes over 10min before buy.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

ohhyeok90 wrote:they advertise improvements, but some people says old one's better.

mostly due to hill cup.

it make shoes more durable and solid grip, but make some people uncomfortable.

i recommend wear shoes over 10min before buy.

I'm not sure how wearing shoes for 10 minutes is going to dictate purchase decision. It's not a pair of slippers to walk around in. If you really want to test a pair, dedicate ~ 30 min for low/high cadence, hill repeats and sprints, then make the call.

Besides heel cup, rearward cleat adjustment was introduced and sub-6 model with laces (precise adjustment over BOA, lighter and cheaper $325). I'm not going to get into biomechanics and bike fit topic as to why you'd want to move the cleats rearward + 5mm extra introduced in 2016 models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by mpulsiv on Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

ironman1

by ironman1

I have called around seems no one has the 2016 sub 6 in stock yet. Anyone know when dealers in US should have them in stock?

cerro

by cerro

ironman1: They should have now or it's strange. We got them in stock in stores in Sweden.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

1swiftvelo

by 1swiftvelo

Yes the shoes are in stock. Specialized has a great inventory at the moment.