do you guys keep your shift inner liners in the frame

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Delorre

by Delorre

Maybe a dumb question, but with a frame with internal cables, you have to use a liner to track the cables through the frame. But, do you guys keep some liner inside, or do you pull it out once the shift cable is run? I ask because on my Canyon, there is a plastic cable guide inside the BB shell, but the when shifting, the cabels tend to make a lot of noice going through them. Chain lube work for a couple of rides, but after every wet ride, the noice is back. I would try to keep a large amount of the liner inside the frame, so the cable run through the liner and not come in contact with the cable guide inside the BB + no dirt can get stuck between cable and cable guide. Good or bad idea? To get water and dirt out, I initially had taped down the whole cable guide area, but so good, all the water that got in the frame, also stayed there and accumulated. Not good for the BB bearings :shock:

To make it visual, the Canyon BB shell. In this pic in found on the web, it's to difficult to see, but there 'seems' to be a liner.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

modman

by modman

I've always run internally routed frames without liners. The sole exception is on one of my wife's bikes -- she complained of the cable banging inside the top tube. I installed a liner and it's be happy-wife-happy-life ever since. She didn't notice any difference in performance.

dntong

by dntong

I do the exact thing you described, but I don't use the liners that came with the frame. I remove the liner inside some extra shifter cable housing, and cut to length. For the front derailleur, I use enough to cover the bottom bracket piece in the pic you attached, and end it right after it comes of the frame near the front derailleur.
For the rear derailleur, i use enough to cover the bottom bracket, but you can use more if you want.

Asymptotic

by Asymptotic

Those liners are only provided to help you route the cables. A lot of people assume they are like the old Gore liners that you keep the cables in but the ones provided with a new bike are tight enough that you will degrade your shifting slightly. If youare worried about dirt etc, gore outers can still be found in places
Norwood & Adelaide Uni CC

1swiftvelo

by 1swiftvelo

No pull them. I've found they move around and can collect dirt.

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

I use liners wherever there is contact, including at the cable guide under the BB shell. No point when cable is passing through air.

ms6073

by ms6073

For me, the answer depends on the frameset. Wife and I have Scott Solace framesets with internal cable routing and under the bottom bracket rear brake caliper. Inside the downtube, there are no guides of any kind to route the cables to the ports at the other end, and while we run Di2, after a several attempts at fishing the rear brake cable when I built up the frame, I opted to run a Jagwire liner with nosed ferules at each end for the rear brake cable.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

VengeSWrks

by VengeSWrks

When I built my first venge I decided to use liners and on my second venge I ran without the liners. Without liners definitely felt smoother and if cable noises bothers you I would use rubber cable protectors but again the tension is enough to keep cables from hitting the frame.

rpenmanparker

by rpenmanparker

The Workswell R-066 frame came without guides inside the frame, but it was stupid easy to run the cables through anyway. So I don't get the whole liner thing.

But worst case you should remove the liners, but keep them. If you think you will need them to replace the cables, you would then run them back onto the cables to put them in place, before you pull out the cables.
Robert

mattr

by mattr

Asymptotic wrote:Those liners are only provided to help you route the cables. A lot of people assume they are like the old Gore liners that you keep the cables in but the ones provided with a new bike are tight enough that you will degrade your shifting slightly. If youare worried about dirt etc, gore outers can still be found in places
You can actually buy the teflon/gore type tubing similar to the stuff gore used on ebay/amazon/elsewhere.

Usually have to buy 10m or something.

Used it on the only internally routed frame we have, took the supplied plastic guides out.

jrmynthn

by jrmynthn

Mine are taken out of the frame. I keep a small section of it only around the bottom bracket bend as others have described. This is only so the cables can move smoothly through this point of friction. The rest of the cable is run naked through the frame.

I did keep the liners that came with the frame. I use them when changing the cable so I already have precut liners to put in while i'm working on the bike and changing cables. Then they go back in to a bag.

Delorre

by Delorre

jrmynthn wrote:Mine are taken out of the frame. I keep a small section of it only around the bottom bracket bend as others have described. This is only so the cables can move smoothly through this point of friction. The rest of the cable is run naked through the frame.

Do the stay in place on the long run? I was temped to do the same, just keep a piece of 20cm on the BB area, but nothing more.

rpenmanparker

by rpenmanparker

There is little difference between the bottom bracket guide area on frames having internal cables and frames with external cables. The liners aren't recommended for external cables where they pass through the guides. Why would they be needed or helpful for internal cables. I suspect the lowest friction solution is bare cable throughout.
Robert

fh8425

by fh8425

for the expose part it is better to have the liner, it helps to keep the environment(dirt/rain) out so it can shift smoother and not corrode.

Delorre

by Delorre

Had to do without liner :evil: Even for the initial cable routing. The liner i bought seemed to be a little to large in diameter to clear the internal cable guides. Had to remove the crankset and use the fishing method and liner from rear to BB area. All in all, spend hour for a simple cable job. But oh boy, do new cables make a world of difference :shock:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com