2016 Zipp 202 FC Clinchers vs. Enve Smart 3.4 CCL

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Morta

by Morta

Which one would you recommend? I read very good things about the Enve wheelset. I currently have 2013 Zipp 404 FC clinchers and like them. So far, I am not having issues with the hub or stiffness. Yes, they have little side play but they run smooth and are very solid. Bearings have been already replaced though. I run tire size 25 on them.

I am 188 cm and 83 kg.

I am looking for a great and every-day training wheelset since the 404's have some issues concerning side winds in my opinion. I want to ride this wheelset in the high mountains as well. So my plan would be to go with the 202's and swap the wheels when necessary. I like the firecrest design and they look awesome. Also, I love the sound of my 404's.

If I'd go the Enve route, I would need to get rid of the Zipp's due to incompatbility of the brake pads, right? And I am too lazy to change brake pads all the time. This wouldn't be an option for me.

Are the Enve's really worth the extra costs of pretty much 1000 Euros?

Cheers!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nejmann

by Nejmann

I would wait with the zipps, think there is a NSW version coming soon? :-)

DavidMLee

by DavidMLee

NSW version of 404, 303 came out in sequence. So 202 would be launched rather soon, I think.
Legend HT 9.5 RED 22
Colnago C60 Super Record
S-Works Tarmac 2016 eTap
S-Works Tarmac 2015 DA
Cervelo R3 2015 UT
Cervelo S2 2014 UT
Spesh Venge Elite 105

kova3023

by kova3023

Enve Smart 3.4 CCL really like.

Prices are expensive, but the performance is much recommended.

zip 202 does not compare.

spandexboy817

by spandexboy817

I wouldn't get the 3.4s. I would get the new revised 4.5s. They have a crazy redesigned brake track that is just just just coming out and are amazing. Just got myself a set last week and LOVE them. Super stable, stiff, and spin up real fast. I have them laced to dt240s and carbon clinchers

Krackor

by Krackor

Why are you looking at carbon clinchers for a training wheelset in the high mountains? How about some light, low-profile aluminum?

Tooslow

by Tooslow

Save yourself some weight and a whole pile of dough and get a set of Dura Ace c24's

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

1. I'm sure the 202s wouldn't sound like your 404s.
2. Yes I do think the Enve's are overpriced.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

wingguy

by wingguy

As far as the NSWs go Zipp have only introduced the 808 and the 404 so far, the 303 is yet to come so the 202 might be a while. If you went the Enve route I'd personally get either of the new designs, the 4.5 or 2.2 - but if you do want that in between depth then wait a few months for the new dimpled brake track design from the 2.2 to be introduced onto the 3.4s

cmcdonnell

by cmcdonnell

The ENVE's look great and I've heard nothing but good things about them but they certainly are expensive, also personally I really really hate the different wheel sizes. A ENVE 4.4 would be very appealing if I had the cash. I read a lot of negative stuff about the Zipps and have never ridden any but... I know many people who do ride them and have no issues so if I were you and they were my 2 options I'd go Zipps.
Bianchi Oltre XR2 + Campagnolo Super Record 11 + Campagnolo Bora 50C
Litespeed T1 + Campagnolo Chorus 11 + Campagnolo Shamal Ultra

rmerka

by rmerka

I have a set of 3.4s and 202s. The 202s brake better and are definitely better in a strong crosswind. I wouldn't be concerned about them at all in the mountains. I've ridden the 202s up and down Mt. Baldy and with heavy braking on some steep hills in the Santa Rosa, CA area. I'm 90kg. There was no problem whatsoever and frankly I heard lots of people bash CC but I've never seen anyone melt a firecrest rim. I'm sure it's possible but it would take an extreme situation. If I had to choose to keep only one set it would be the 202s.

Nejmann

by Nejmann

rmerka wrote:I have a set of 3.4s and 202s. The 202s brake better and are definitely better in a strong crosswind. I wouldn't be concerned about them at all in the mountains. I've ridden the 202s up and down Mt. Baldy and with heavy braking on some steep hills in the Santa Rosa, CA area. I'm 90kg. There was no problem whatsoever and frankly I heard lots of people bash CC but I've never seen anyone melt a firecrest rim. I'm sure it's possible but it would take an extreme situation. If I had to choose to keep only one set it would be the 202s.

Are your 202's tubs or clinchers?

rmerka

by rmerka

Both 202s and 3.4s are clinchers. The 202s are the some of the first ones Zipp produced. I did have them built to DT240s. Still some of my favourite wheels. I "gave" the 3.4s to my son who thinks the deeper look is cool :) You really can't lose with either though really.

Nejmann

by Nejmann

rmerka wrote:Both 202s and 3.4s are clinchers. The 202s are the some of the first ones Zipp produced. I did have them built to DT240s. Still some of my favourite wheels. I "gave" the 3.4s to my son who thinks the deeper look is cool :) You really can't lose with either though really.

Great! I'm the same weight as you. Glad to hear you don't have a problem with breaking. I will use my 404s in the mountains soon (yeah not a climbing wheels and neither am I, but holding of the money for new wheels, if this disc thing is here to stay) :wink:

Morta

by Morta

rmerka wrote:I have a set of 3.4s and 202s. The 202s brake better and are definitely better in a strong crosswind. I wouldn't be concerned about them at all in the mountains. I've ridden the 202s up and down Mt. Baldy and with heavy braking on some steep hills in the Santa Rosa, CA area. I'm 90kg. There was no problem whatsoever and frankly I heard lots of people bash CC but I've never seen anyone melt a firecrest rim. I'm sure it's possible but it would take an extreme situation. If I had to choose to keep only one set it would be the 202s.

Thank you very much. I guess I'll go the Zipp route. The other matching components (seat post, stem, bottle cage, etc.) I need are cheaper, too. And I can keep my 404's which I really like. So far I hade no braking issues and I've ridden them pretty hard in some low mountain areas here in Europe (e.g. Vosges, France). So I guess I'll be very comfortable with the 202's.
Would you recommend to rebuild my 404's with a DTSwiss hub?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com