Mechanical Discs on CAAD10 / CAAD12 Disc?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

iamalex

by iamalex

Does anyone know if the routing on the CAAD10 or CAAD12 disc is suitable for mechanical discs?

I'm on a budget so this would let me keep my current group for a while longer.
Would be looking at TRP Spyre SLC or Hy/Rd.

Took a CAAD12 Disc for a quick test ride at the weekend and was impressed.

Thanks for your help.

quadlt250

by quadlt250

there wont be any difference on the frame in the cable routing of a full mechanical brake line or hydraulic line

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Birdman

by Birdman

Agree with quadlt250. Modern disc brake bikes are all design to run full length brake housing, and that can be either mechanical housing, or hydraulic hose.

One thing to keep in mind, you may already know this. If you plan on running mechanical cable for the rear, you will want to use compressionless cable housing to maximize brake performance.

Yokozuna Reaction is what I used, and it worked GREAT! However Yokozuna Reaction's housing is slightly larger (outer diameter). There are other compressoinless housing on the market though.
Cervelo R3 MUD ~ viewtopic.php?f=10&t=136544
Specialized Allez Gold ~ viewtopic.php?f=10&t=134419

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Birdman wrote:Modern disc brake bikes are all design to run full length brake housing, and that can be either mechanical housing, or hydraulic hose.

The OP is right to do his homework.

My Synapse mechanical disc came with interrupted cable through the head and top tube. To fit hydraulic I have had to drill through the cable stop in the head tube, or else the hose would not go through. Many Cannondales feed cable/hose through a hole in the head tube. I know - bonkers.

However, I don't know the deal with all the CAAD10s and 12s. The ones with mechanical discs may well be interrupted to the rear, while hydraulic will, of course, be continuous.

Flapmeat

by Flapmeat

IIRC the CAAD12 does not offer a build with mechanical discs. This is just off the top of my head because I know the CAAD12 105 disc is hydro (probably the lowest spec CAAD12 disc offered). This should mean you're in the clear!

doubleD

by doubleD

Mechanical discs should work well on Caad12. Use compressionless housing and pick up a mechanical brake for the new flat mount standard. A mechanical brake with both pads moving, like TRP spyre will help improve heal clearance. Use a zip tie at the bottom bracket shell to keep the full housing away from the spindle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iamalex

by iamalex

Thanks for all of the feedback, appreciated it! I've been away so only just catching up.

Leaning towards a new-old-stock CAAD10 as that'll keep some suitable funds for reasonable wheels, cables etc.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

chanrio28

by chanrio28

just want to ask, the rear disc mount is very rare, for a very tight budget, what mechanical disc brake caliper can you put on without using an adapter on the rear post mount ?