GCN pro bike weights

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wingguy

by wingguy

If the Rotor group is really as light as the rumours then the DiData mechanics will be fitting some serious ballast later in the season :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jgilesband

by jgilesband

A few looked nervous and reluctant at first almost like they had done something wrong

DavidMLee

by DavidMLee

jgilesband wrote:A few looked nervous and reluctant at first almost like they had done something wrong

I felt that too. Kinda strange even if there was nothing wrong.
Legend HT 9.5 RED 22
Colnago C60 Super Record
S-Works Tarmac 2016 eTap
S-Works Tarmac 2015 DA
Cervelo R3 2015 UT
Cervelo S2 2014 UT
Spesh Venge Elite 105

clipsed

by clipsed

DavidMLee wrote:
jgilesband wrote:A few looked nervous and reluctant at first almost like they had done something wrong

I felt that too. Kinda strange even if there was nothing wrong.

Maybe they didn't want to feel like idiots guessing the weight was really low then making their sponsor look heavy/bad.

Or maybe they were just a bit nervous - looked like normal behavior to me.

srshaw

by srshaw

Maybe they didn't want embarrass their bike suppliers.

I was certainly impressed with the Cervelo. Take away the numbers and transponders and that would be close to 6.8kg.

stormur

by stormur

GCN exposed smth what was known but ignored : most "peloton" bikes are not even close to 6800g ;) and now looking at frames sizes & components of those bikes force me to believe in majority of weights given on this forum ;) BTW same was when Giant published weights for XS bikes - everyone (literally) ignored it - like it didn't happened at all.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

53x12

by 53x12

clipsed wrote:Maybe they didn't want to feel like idiots guessing the weight was really low then making their sponsor look heavy/bad.

srshaw wrote:Maybe they didn't want embarrass their bike suppliers.

And yet isn't that still what happened? They guessed too low and the real weight was higher. So their sponsor still ends up looking "heavy/bad."
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

AJS914

by AJS914

Hey, my heavy Colnago C59 is average in the pro peloton! I'm going to stop worrying about dropping another pound. :-)

I think they were hesitant because it's not information they know or keep track of. Most of those guys are not like us (except maybe Adam Hansen). They don' t spend their time researching the latest, most awesome parts. They don't weight stuff. The team gives them equipment, the mechanics build it and service it. They just have to show up to ride.

I know a guy who almost made it Pro. He was on a high ranking French amateur team. Anyway, their attitude was that they would ride anything that was handed to them. Shimano one day, Campy the next, change pedal system, change saddles, whatever. You just suck up any minor issues you have, don't complain, and get on with the riding. Of course, he wasn't a pro-tour superstar and couldn't call any of the shots in that way.

junchen

by junchen

srshaw wrote:Maybe they didn't want embarrass their bike suppliers.

I was certainly impressed with the Cervelo. Take away the numbers and transponders and that would be close to 6.8kg.

Same here for the canyon aeroad. 7.08kg on the weighing scale.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

AJS914 wrote:Hey, my heavy Colnago C59 is average in the pro peloton! I'm going to stop worrying about dropping another pound. :-)

I think they were hesitant because it's not information they know or keep track of. Most of those guys are not like us (except maybe Adam Hansen). They don' t spend their time researching the latest, most awesome parts. They don't weight stuff. The team gives them equipment, the mechanics build it and service it. They just have to show up to ride.

I know a guy who almost made it Pro. He was on a high ranking French amateur team. Anyway, their attitude was that they would ride anything that was handed to them. Shimano one day, Campy the next, change pedal system, change saddles, whatever. You just suck up any minor issues you have, don't complain, and get on with the riding. Of course, he wasn't a pro-tour superstar and couldn't call any of the shots in that way.

exactly... shut up and ride. Let your legs do the talking.

Ahillock

by Ahillock

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
AJS914 wrote:Hey, my heavy Colnago C59 is average in the pro peloton! I'm going to stop worrying about dropping another pound. :-)

exactly... shut up and ride. Let your legs do the talking.

^ There are many different reasons for why we are into cycling. Some of the exercise. Some for the enjoyment of being outside in solitude. Others for the competitive racing aspect. So there are some that enjoy tinkering with their bike and having the latest and greatest. Others like to tinker on their bike to make it as aero as possible. Others like to tinker to make it as light and efficient as possible.

There is no right or wrong way to ride. But please don't come on here and make this something it isn't

xena
Banned

by xena

Dan kept saying that it was a flat race day because he could see how disappointed some of the riders were.
I thought Dowsett was going to cry when he saw the difference between his normal race bike and his climbing bike. You would think as a pro they would be all over the weight down to a few grms.
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

srshaw

by srshaw

Since sky are into their marginal gains, I thought their bike would hit the limit. Even on a flat stage carrying an extra half a kilo is going to make a difference to rolling resistance.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

Weird. You always hear that they have to add weight to hit the limit but all these bikes were way over. What's going on? Also, what's with weighing them without the computer if they plan to race with it? Does the UCI not allow the computer to figure into the minimum bike weight?