Campagnolo Eurus 9spd to 11spd conversion

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

lynton

by lynton

Sorry if this question has been asked before, I did a search and could not find it.

I have a 2003 Campagnolo Eurus wheel set that is still in very good condition and it is currently set up for Shimano 9spd.

I am changing the Dura Ace 9spd group set on my Merckx to a 2015 Campagnolo Record 11 spd group set. My question is will a free hub body to suit a 2007 Campagnolo Eurus wheel set fit my 2003 model wheels or did they change the design?

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

A conversion from the Shimano freehub is possible.

There was a change to the spindle at some point after 2003 and you need to change this as well. The later spindle is p/n FH-BO001 which is used in conjunction with freehub FH-BO015. Some sellers had the spindle and freehub as a kit. This one shows both parts in stock.

http://www.bikeman.com/FW9850.html

The hub is easy to dissassemble. Only quirk to know is that the freehub retaining nut is reverse threaded.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

To confirm and add a little detail to Bikejulio's answer - Any 2006 or later Campagnolo cassette body will require an axle replacement as Bikerjulio indicates - when Campagnolo migrated away from a two-piece steel-and-alloy cassette body to the one-piece alu item in 2006 it was necessary to re-design the area at the heels of each pawl - reinforcement was added that necessitated a small but important re-design of the axle, meaning that the pre-2006 cassette bodies could be used with the new axles but not vice-versa.

On the upside, the new axle and cassette body will fit the older-pattern Eurus that you have - if you are migrating to Campagnolo 11s, you *may* need to add a 1mm spacer in behind the cassette so that the biggest sprocket will not foul on the Eurus hub flange (the same problem occurs with Proton and Electron wheels) but apart from that there are no issues.

We have stock of the FH-RE415 axle-and-cassette-body kits that Bikerjulio refers to, so if you are in the UK, we can assist.
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

lynton

by lynton

Thanks for the replies.

I did some research in the Campag tech docs which seem to take forever to download.

I found the conversion kit with the new body and axle on Ebay from The Cycle Clinic. It does not appear to come with the 1mm spacer so I hope that is not going to be an issue.

This is driving me nuts, I have a brand new group set sitting at home but I can't fit it because I have to wait for the freehub body to be delivered, I guess good things come to those that wait.