How many wheels do you have per bike?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

skiezo

by skiezo

I was just wondering if most forum members have more than one set of wheels that they switch between per each bike.
As for me I have 2 road bikes with 2 sets of wheels for each.
Desalvo TI bike I have 1 set of alloy clinchers built with HED c2 rims and November branded WI T11 hubs and one set of alloy tubulars built with HED belgium tubulars on DT 240's with straight pull spokes.
For my carbon Sarto I also have 2 sets the I switch between also. Main set is a HED 5 stinger tubular and I also have a set of alloy clinchers that are Industry nine TL25 wheels built using HED C2 rims and straight pull hubs/spokes that I will put on depending on where I will be riding.
My Ti is still 10 speed campy record/SR. The carbon bike is 2015 11 speed chorus/record/SR. I have cassettes for each wheelset with different gears on each wheel for the type of terrain I will be riding.
For Instance, If i am going to the mountains of western North Carolina and eastern Tennessee I will always grab the alloy clinchers. Tubes are easy to come by in that area if I need to grab some.
Last edited by skiezo on Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

szazbo

by szazbo

Interesting question. I have 2 Hollands. 1 Ti and the other an Exogrid with Campy SR 11 with 3 sets of wheels for both. Shamal 2 way, HED Belgium 24/28 customs with DT hubs and a set of ENVE 3.4's with DT 240 hubs to move between bikes as needed. Other bike has D/A Di2 with another set of HED's 24/28 and shares the ENVE 3.4's. Have a DA cassette and a SR cassette mounted on separate cassette bodies with the end cap inside the lock ring. When changing the 3.4's from a Campy to Shimano bike, I just pop off the cassette by pushing on the backside to the large cog and pop the other one back on. Takes only a minute with the end cap captive. Dish is the same.
Also have a Ti Holland Di2 disc gravel bike with a set of ENVE 3.4's with 11-28 and 28mm Conti's for the road and for dirt, a set of ENVE M70's setup as tubeless with a 11-32 ultegra cassette.

jimborello

by jimborello

I have 1 set of wheels for each bike, I think thats enough and I hate changing brake pads. The nice part is that I have 9 bikes =) ajja

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

1 set of wheels for each bike.
However all but one run the same # of speeds and the same cassette range. Swapping in between bikes is rare, but if necessary for the conditions or circumstances it can be done quickly.

(excluding the mountain bikes)
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

BeeSeeBee

by BeeSeeBee

Only one set on my road bike, HED Jet 6+, but I have two for my cross bike, the stock Giant tubeless setup with WTB 40C Nanos and a November Nimbus TI CLD road setup with 28 GP4Ks (they measure 33!) for commuting in the winter (I string the bike up with up to 8 lights to make sure I'm seen :lol: ). Those are also my only two bikes, I'm not really the N+1 type of guy, as sacrilegious as that is!

Oswald

by Oswald

I have 4 sets of road/cx wheels and 3 sets of mtb disc wheels and 2 sets of mtb non disc wheels. I have 2 Road bikes, 1 cx and 3 mtb. And a pile of frames, forks and parts :'(

mimason

by mimason

divorce - 1 = 3 bikes(2 road, 1 29er) and have 4 sets for the road bike in the rotation.....and a Zipp disc( that I need to sell).

jrobart

by jrobart

Two bikes: Seven Axiom SL and Seven Mudhoney SL
Two sets of wheels each: Enve 3.4 tubular rims built of King R45 hubs and H Sons Plus clincher rims also built on R45s for the Axiom. HED Belgium Plus rims built on DT Swiss 240s and Stans Iron Cross rims also built on DT 240s for the Mudhoney.
Current: Seven 622 SLX | Seven OVRLND XX | Fondriest Carbon Magister | Yeti SB100 |
Retired: Litespeed T5G | Seven Axiom SL| Seven Mudhoney SL|S Works Crux |Fat CAAD 1 |

MoreRideTime

by MoreRideTime

I have 4 sets that move between two bikes on the road. Only have one set on the MTB.

toiyuet

by toiyuet

MTB - Seven Sola
Mavic Crossmax SLR(latest rim brake model).

RB - Seven 622SLX
3 pair of wheels :
Shimano DA C24CL, almost not riding it anymore;
LW Gipfelsturm Schwarz;
LW Obermayer Schwarz.

beanbiken

by beanbiken

2 bikes and 3 sets of wheels after selling a set last week, plan to add another set soon. Just "weighing up" [pun intended] the options.

Steve
BB

Coffee & carbon

nickf

by nickf

Only one for the mtb.

Road I have a set of alloy do it all clincher wheels for gravel, cx, traveling. H plus archetypes, bike hub store hubs, lazer spokes. Bontrager aeolus 5 tubular for go fast rides. Also a pair of super low end shimano alloy wheels as a backup.

lynton

by lynton

On the MTB I only have 1, but that bike is not really worth having more and with any luck I will be replacing the bike soon. The new MTB may end up with more than one set.

My road bike currently has one pair. The bike is a Eddy Merckx 1XM with the original D/A 9 spd and Campagnolo Eurus clinchers. I am in the process of upgrading the group set to a Campagnolo Record 11spd. I will be converting the Eurus wheels to campag 11spd. My plan is to buy a set of Campagnolo Shamal clinchers in the very near future. That will allow me to use the Eurus as a backup wheelset and also in crappy weather, the Shamals for good weather and particulalry on rides with a lot of verticle elevation.

F45

by F45

Two sets per bike. A bumpy road set with fat tires and an aero set with narrower tires for smooth roads for the road bike. For the CX bike, lots of sets with different tires.

But mainly just to hold different types of tires for specific road or trail surfaces.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

One bike 4 wheelsets all carbon