Dura Ace 9000 front shift

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

oreoboreo

by oreoboreo

Is there any reason not to remove the little black plastic shift slider within the front derailleur on my Dura Ace 9000? You know that it may save 2g. It really bugs me that it rubs in the smallest gear slightly with several adjustments tried. Once removed it does not touch at all.
Thanks in advance for opinions

Scott
Let's finish the ride with a 20% grade.

2011 Scott Addict R1 DA 7900 Matt black
2012 Scott CR1 Pro Ultegra 6700
2015 Specialized SWorks Tarmac Da 9000
2016 Specialized SWorks Tarmac DA 9100

breezerboy
Shop Owner

by breezerboy

Removing it may impact upshifts, possible chaindrop on downshifts and give more noise/wear during shifts. A properly setup 9000 front mech will not rub unless you have very short chainstays (or are not using a 9000, 6800, 5800 chainset).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Agree with Breezerboy above. Question... are your DA9000 issues on your Cannondale using a non-Shimano crank? Specifically, if you are using a pre SiSl II crankset, with the 104mm spindle, you will likely never get DA9000 to work as perfectly as it should. The newer ones use a 109mm spindle. I have one guy with a 2012 Supersix EVO with a Hollowgram SiSl crank with DA9000 and even though he thinks it's shifting great at this point, I can tell you it leaves a lot to be desired compared to how it really should be. The chainline is just too inboard, and you can't push it out with the 104mm spindle because of the shoulder on the spindle on the NonDrive side. Hope that might at least let you ride knowing that it's not you, it's them.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

oreoboreo

by oreoboreo

It is on my Cervelo R5 (size 48cm short stays) with DA 9000 (50/34) cranks and a Enduro conversion. I will put it back in and live with the slight rub, that I really can not hear, just knowing it is rubbing on a 20% grade makes me think about it. By the Way My Evo did not come with the little black shift glide. The Evo has Sisl2 with spidering chain rings, really did not know it was missing until I looked closer at My R5.

Thanks all for jumping in her with the thoughts

Scott

eric01

by eric01

Shouldn't rub. Dura ace front derailleur setup can be a little tricky but once setup properly you shouldn't have rub. I thought the chain stay length on cervelos were consistent across the sizes?
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

oreoboreo wrote:It is on my Cervelo R5 (size 48cm short stays) with DA 9000 (50/34) cranks and a Enduro conversion. I will put it back in and live with the slight rub, that I really can not hear, just knowing it is rubbing on a 20% grade makes me think about it. By the Way My Evo did not come with the little black shift glide. The Evo has Sisl2 with spidering chain rings, really did not know it was missing until I looked closer at My R5.

Thanks all for jumping in her with the thoughts

Scott

my c59 (45 cm sloping) has short chain stays as well. no rub. I did upgrade to dura ace a while back and at first the front derailleur was not set up properly and there was some rub. brought it back and made sure it was properly adjusted. no problem what so ever now.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

oreoboreo

by oreoboreo

Thanks all, I did a little more tweaking and found a sweat spot and no rub now. Sometimes the LBS cranks out adjustments too quickly and you have to do it yourself.

I sure appreciate everybody telling me that it should not rub and keep the little black shift glyde

Scott