Campagnolo Record 10 Speed Ultra Torque Chainset

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

The frame is defective. If people insist on using round chainstays for TIG welding, you get problems like this from time to time, especially as BB standards have moved on. I sold frame tubing for years.

The only workaround is to source a suitable crankset which will work. Like ones where you can fit DS spacers, or even ones for disc brake chainline, like those from FSA or SRAM.

What don't people get about this issue? Why would a Campag crankset be defective in some way so to cause this issue?

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Valbrona, I'm totally agreeing with you that it's a frame issue.

But not that it's anything to do with BB's. This is a 2006 frame.

Campy and Shimano chainlines have not changed since the '80's regardless of what the BB was.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Fantasy Island... "Da Frame, it's da Frame". :)
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

Definitely genuine Litespeed?

cmcdonnell

by cmcdonnell

I can only assume it's genuine as bought new from a reputable store and had to wait a fair while for it and I've got the weight certificate.
I'm going to ask another LBS to have a look as even if the frame is faulty I just can't see how the FSA 8000 BB and SLK crankset would give such a different chainline to the UTBB and Record cranks. It's at least 5 mm further out and has been working fine for years. The front mech looks in the right place so it appears to me that the UT cups are putting the Record Chainset in the wrong place, but that doesn't make sense, surely if they are the same standard (as they appear) they should put their retrospective cranks in the same place?
Bianchi Oltre XR2 + Campagnolo Super Record 11 + Campagnolo Bora 50C
Litespeed T1 + Campagnolo Chorus 11 + Campagnolo Shamal Ultra

Tenlegs

by Tenlegs

A quick way to check your chainline(43.5) is to measure the gap between the seat tube to the inside of the small chainring
Working from a seat tube Ø of 35mm it should be approximately 21-22mm, after I did the math I checked two bikes I have with that size seat tube
one with an SRAM red the other Campy record chainset, both fell within this limit,
I would guess your FSA crank will be larger than 21-22mm and the record crank about right,
If that's the case the chainstay is definitely at fault.

...probably