Roval Control SL SCS Carbon Wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

robo

by robo

Hi WW

This is my first post and hope someone can help!

I've got a new set of wide Roval 700c disc brake carbon wheels (Control SL SCS) which I'm wanting to run tubeless. The rims are wide (22mm internal width) and on paper looks like they'll be a great lightweight road/off road wheelset - they weigh 1350 grams.

The problem is I can't get any tubeless road/gravel tyres to come anyway close to fitting on the rim, the circumference seems just too great. I've tried both 30mm Schwalbe S-Ones (preferred choice) and Hutchinson Secteur 28s but there's no way the tyres will fit, there's just too much rim to stretch them over! :o

Has anyone experience of these wheels/rims and if so do you have any advice? I"m used to using tubeless rims/tyres and expect the tyres to be that bit tighter to fit but this seems a bit amazing.

Any advice welcome!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

victorduraace

by victorduraace

Make sure whole tire bead is on the deepeest middle section part of rim when mounting. This will make rim little smaller.

nlouthan

by nlouthan

Initial install of tubeless tires can be very difficult. As above, make sure the tire is in the center channel. I have also used Schwalbe's tire lube (can't remember what it's called) and that makes it a bit easier.

robo

by robo

Many thanks both, I'll take your advice and keep persevering including using some 'Easy Fit' lube.

Tom14

by Tom14

I had the same problem with Challenge Grifo's (non tubeless ;) ).

It was hard to mount them, and when I finally got the tires on they weren't exactly in the middle if you know what I mean.
But then I inflated them to aprox. 4 bar and sculled them a bit and they fitted perfect.

robo

by robo

Thanks for the advice all, after some Dutch Courage I managed to get the Secteur 28s mounted although it took a while. They feel really good to ride combined with the wide rims. :D

Jeffy - I've ordered a Koolstop Tyre Mate, many thanks. I'll have a got at forcing the S-Ones on when it arrives!

pegleg81

by pegleg81

Hi robo. Any updates on installing S-one? Also do you race on your wheels? No burping? I'm interested in getting a set. Much thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robo

by robo

Hi pegleg81

I gave up with the S-ones, just too tight on my wheels despite using a tyre-jack to stretch them on, I've stuck with the Sector 28's which have been fine, although a bit slippery in the wet.

I haven't raced them but did a fast ride at the Flanders sportive last year and they coped with that no problem. I've stripped the rear hub down and replaced all the bearings, it seems like it's either a DT Swiss 240 hub or at least an identical copy of it, so easy to service.

Overall I've been pleased, they spin-up to speed pretty quickly and they feel pretty fast to ride on.

Hope this helps, robo

pegleg81

by pegleg81

Yes, definitively helps! I'm very close to getting them for my Specialized Crux. What would totally convince me is if I can run a tire for riding on the road in addition to cx (with different tires). Would you mind sharing your weight and the air pressure for your Sector 28?

One person seems to run his tires higher than the recommended 45psi max (see bottom of webpage):

http://specialized.desk.com/customer/po ... scs-wheel-

I already have the Control SL (non SCS) for my mtb bike and it has a 36 points of engagement ratchet. I bought and I'm about to install a 54 ratchet which will give off a higher pitched sound. Kind of like a polite way to say "move out of my waaay!".

robo

by robo

Not sure of the exact weight but it's around 280g per tyre. I've ignored the recommended pressure and tyre width from Specialized, mine are the 2016 model and have hook-less side walls which I think is why tyres are a struggle to stretch onto them (the rim sidewalls look quite high due to there being no hook). I usually run around 80/75psi for riding on the road, and around 45/40psi for off road, and have had no problems.

I recommend them and would give them a go. I haven't found anything else that comes close to the weight, width and tubeless compatibility in one wheel package - even if choices weren't limited with an SCS frame.

pegleg81

by pegleg81

Much thanks for your detailed reply. You must me very light at 560 grams! Lol i was thinking about your weight as my internet search tells me that air pressure on road tires are dependent on weight.

But it's good to hear that another person had been successful in using the wheels for road tires.

I've decided now to get these Roval wheels. I was actually thinking of custom zipp 303 tubeless with hope scs hubs but paying all that money for 1500g plus wheels seems hard to swallow.

robo

by robo

Sorry! 68KG weight. Good luck with the wheels!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

robo

by robo

Sorry! 68KG weight. Good luck with the wheels!