Vittoria Pave CG Tub issue

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bcmf

by bcmf

Just wanna see if can get some thoughts on this.

I have a set of pave cg tubs , the new ones with the black mid strip and green at the edge as per the link http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... itttuba873

They were bought from new from an ex-clubmate.
They are the 28 x 25 version,
Glued them up and mounted them with Mastik. No sealant was added.The absolute max pressure was 120psi.
After a very short time 1 flatted.The casing (not base tape) that is not in contact with the road but above the base tape split open and the tube popped out.
OK shit happens.
Changed that to the older version with the green strip in the middle.
Due to work and family commitments I only clocked up 5500kms last year.
No issues until today when I took out the wheels outta winter hibernation pumped up the rear with the newer version to 120 and 500 mtrs down the road almost exactly the same happens.
Casing at the base tape has split.
Both tubs with buckets of thread left - useless.
I understand that shit happens and tyres get ripped but its the casing thats ripped.
Is it worth taking a few pics and sending on to Vittoria?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

victorduraace

by victorduraace

Yes, demand cash return

em3

by em3

...unfortunately, once u glue and mount a tub nobody is going to warranty it, unless u bought it from
ur LBS and they don't want to test ur loyalty.

On another note , why r u using 120psi on a Vitt Pave? Try 90 or at most 95 and start enjoying what a Pave should really feel like.

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

What environment are these tubs being stored in - mounted or not? Where they subjected to extreme temps, moisture, heat, etc. for extended periods? (i.e. in an non-insulated garage?) Just trying to eliminate environmental as a potential culprit here.

MJB

by MJB

My take is that you have had both the new Pave burst open but the older Pave are still going strong....?

If that is the case, and your mounting/storage method is properly schmick then alas shit has indeed happened and you have a pair of Pave with clear manufacturing faults. There is nothing to lose by attempting to contact Vittoria about this issue.

I read this with interest as I have a pair of current model Pave tubs (like yours) mounted to my Bora 35's - mine a 25 up front and a 27 in the back. BTW I agree with em3 - you will get more joy from Pave if you back the pressures right down.

and..... FWIW - I have a pair of older Pave in 24mm width on a spare wheelsets with just over 5,000km on them and maybe they are just past half life :D

Better go out and check my new ones.................

bcmf

by bcmf

Thanks for the replies.
Will try and answer the questions.

Yes the 'older' style paves are still going strong with thread wear starting to show.
New 'style' barley thread worn but burst.
Storage.
They were brand new when I bought them , but as I said , not bought from bike shop but from an ex top class rider who was having a clearout.
Cant vouch for storage from him.
1 tub had only max 100km on it when it went. I had put the tub on more or less straight away after getting it.
Replaced that with current one and ran on it all last year.
Left on the rim and stored in my attic for the winter which here was inly from late october till now.

Enviroment wise.
I am in Ireland. No extreme temps. Lowest max temp this winter has been -1 or -2 c
We have had a very wet winter but they were stored indoors ,albeit in the attic.

Will take some pics and send them onto Vittoria and see what they say.

bcmf

by bcmf

Thread on the tub.
you can see the tube through the carcass.

you can see where the rubber is starting to seperate away from the basetap to reveal the carcass at another point

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

victorduraace

by victorduraace

What do you weight and what was the pressure you were riding on them?