Chain catch question

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

addictR1

by addictR1

i've been emailing back and forth with Scott USA tech support on the use of SRAM chain catcher on my addict, which has a carbon FD hanger.

apparently if using the alloy shim that comes with the sram chain catcher, it will void the warranty. in the previous past, i've been using the CF shim, which wouldn't allow me to install the chain catch.

but since i'll be installing Rotor QXL on my SRAM cranks, Rotor highly advise installing the chain catcher.

so question is.. do anyone know if there's a CF version that will work with the SRAM catcher?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Ask the people at Canyon. They produced a really slick chain catcher that mounted under the seat tube bottle cage. Not sure if they still offer it, but it solved all of your problems if you can find one. They are pretty light too.

addictR1

by addictR1

Stolichnaya: you mean like this one? http://cdn.velonews.competitor.com/files/2014/03/85.jpg

addictR1

by addictR1

since they don't ship to USA. i was planning to get it shipped to Taiwan.. but shipping totally killed it for me.

guess i'll stick with my Deda Dog Fang... now if only if i can find that thread on WW about modding it lighter...

oreoboreo

by oreoboreo

The dog fang really does a pretty great job and the best part is you do not have to readjust your front shift once you take it apart to install the catcher.
Let's finish the ride with a 20% grade.

2011 Scott Addict R1 DA 7900 Matt black
2012 Scott CR1 Pro Ultegra 6700
2015 Specialized SWorks Tarmac Da 9000
2016 Specialized SWorks Tarmac DA 9100

skiezo

by skiezo

Not to hi jack this thread.
I have a Parlee FD cf clamp. Would it be advisable to mount a chain catcher on this CF FD clamp? I have heard both yes and no on this. My LBS has a cf campy catcher that mounts on the FD clamp. He also advised not to mount it on the CF fd clamp.
If not it will be a dog fang I guess. I do not really want to mount a metallic clamp-on type on my CF seat tube.

eric01

by eric01

If dog fang fits, stick with that. IMHO, dog fang is best chain catcher but biggest drawback is that it works only for round tubes -- won't fit on squarish/oval/tapered tubes
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

addictR1

by addictR1

Yup.. Installed the dog fang back on today along with the new rotor chainring.

rpenmanparker

by rpenmanparker

addictR1 wrote:i've been emailing back and forth with Scott USA tech support on the use of SRAM chain catcher on my addict, which has a carbon FD hanger.

apparently if using the alloy shim that comes with the sram chain catcher, it will void the warranty. in the previous past, i've been using the CF shim, which wouldn't allow me to install the chain catch.

but since i'll be installing Rotor QXL on my SRAM cranks, Rotor highly advise installing the chain catcher.

so question is.. do anyone know if there's a CF version that will work with the SRAM catcher?

What's the difference between using an alloy shim or an alloy FD directly attached to the carbon hanger? Most alloy FDs mount directly to the carbon hangers with no shim at all.
Robert

BRM

by BRM

addictR1 wrote:i've been emailing back and forth with Scott USA tech support on the use of SRAM chain catcher on my addict, which has a carbon FD hanger.

apparently if using the alloy shim that comes with the sram chain catcher, it will void the warranty.

Warranty of what exactly, where is this based on?
And Scott advice you to use a CF shim, something that does work on your bike? Strange story.
I would not bother and just install. I see no single reason this alloy shim could be a problem.
otherwise choose another chaincatcher, there are many . . . . can't be that difficult.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

addictR1

by addictR1

BRM: the hanger on the addict is very slim, so i can see why they would not want ppl to use the alloy shim on there to mount the chain catcher.

anyway.. since the rotor QXL will add more weight o my addict.. a little 5g dog fang won't hurt much.