Lynskey Factory walk through...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

romalor

by romalor

The tubing comes from China now with lynskey ( they can do great titanium tubing even 6,4 , so not necessarily inferior quality , but inferior price for raw materials )

CharlesM

by CharlesM

That's interesting in that I just walked through and looked at material rolling in and it was US domestic.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Look565w

by Look565w

Thanks CharlesM, I liked my Lynskey Sportive, after reading the article, I now LOVE it! :-)

CharlesM

by CharlesM

I have the Viale which is basically the sportive you have... I bought it a couple years ago and asked them if, when they made the next stock run, if they would do ma a favor and make one in my size but make it for hydro lines rather than for wire brake cables because that was the brake set I had sitting round the house. because they make everything on the frame ih-house, they agreed.

Despite it costing less than half of the other bikes in the house (actually a quarter of a couple of my other bikes) and I use it for my work bike, it has far more milage on it...

My commute in to work is a little over an hour each way and running 28 c tires with slime tubes and tire liners on this bike, built like this means that there's very little chance of mechanical or flatting issues and maintenance is pretty easy. My commute is also through the worst neighborhood in Phoenix, so I use this bike because if it gets stolen, it's by far the least expensive bike I own.

I know where my two old Litespeeds are and they're still getting regular use. They're 9 (custom Lynskey), 12 and 15 years old (an Ultimate and A Palmares)...

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

spookyload wrote:Most people who take the time to write reviews are doing it because a product failed. For the thousands of happy customers, the only owners you usually hear from are the ones who were not happy with the product. So product reliability and quality gets judged from those people, and not the ones totally content with their product (not just Lynskey I am talking about here).

Mine didn't fail, their customer service did. Never built it up, sent it back and got my money back.
Speedplay is the devil!

RussellS

by RussellS

CharlesM wrote:My commute is also through the worst neighborhood in Phoenix, so I use this bike because if it gets stolen, it's by far the least expensive bike I own.

Are you worried someone will attack you, knock you off the bike, and steal your bike as you are riding through this bad neighborhood? I'm guessing most bikes are stolen when they are left alone. Not while you are riding them. I assume you have a secure place to put your bike when you are at home or the office, so not much chance it will be stolen from one of those places. Odd you are so worried about your bike being stolen while you are sitting on it and riding it while moving.

I am a Litespeed owner. A bike made by the evil corporation that bought the Litespeed name and company from the sainted Mr. Lynskey. Litespeed being the first titanium bike company Mr. Lynskey started. Lynskey being the second titanium bike company he started after he came out of retirement or his non compete clause expired. My Litespeed is a good bike. Carried me through Paris Brest Paris just fine. And several thousand miles of brevets and other rides. Fine bike.

CharlesM

by CharlesM

RussellS wrote:
CharlesM wrote:My commute is also through the worst neighborhood in Phoenix, so I use this bike because if it gets stolen, it's by far the least expensive bike I own.

Are you worried someone will attack you, knock you off the bike, and steal your bike as you are riding through this bad neighborhood? I'm guessing most bikes are stolen when they are left alone. Not while you are riding them. I assume you have a secure place to put your bike when you are at home or the office, so not much chance it will be stolen from one of those places. Odd you are so worried about your bike being stolen while you are sitting on it and riding it while moving.

I'm not "worried about being attacked". But people get bike jacked here and the route I have to take is through the highest concentration of violent crime and theft.

In fact I've seen a person get bike jacked by 3 people at a stop light. I've also come up on an intersection where police lights were flashing and I recognizd a rider standing with them because I see him on the commute. I stopped and asked what happened... A few people in a pickup truck pointed a pistol at him and said "get off", so he did.

I've been approached at a stop light and had 2 people see that I have a mace can and a medium sized push knife attached to the straps of my backpack... They just stopped walking toward me and went and leaned back against the wall where they came from. In that case it was two skinny tweakers with nothing in their hands so I just squared up put my hand on the knife handle and that was that. They just stopped, turned around and walked away. If it were multiple, much harder looking people and or a single person with a gun, I would just climb off and smile and let her go. I have more defense training than probably 90% of the population but I'm not stupid and life ain't what we see on TV... :lol:

53x12

by 53x12

Wingnut wrote:Yep...I have seen quite a few complaints of them breaking over the years so they have lost their luster to me...

+1. If I was dropping this kind of cash on a ti frame, I'd be more tempted elsewhere either with Carl Strong or with Kent Eriksen to build me a ti frame. Lynskey has also lost its luster with me.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

RussellS

by RussellS

CharlesM wrote:I'm not "worried about being attacked". But people get bike jacked here and the route I have to take is through the highest concentration of violent crime and theft.

In fact I've seen a person get bike jacked by 3 people at a stop light. I've also come up on an intersection where police lights were flashing and I recognizd a rider standing with them because I see him on the commute. I stopped and asked what happened... A few people in a pickup truck pointed a pistol at him and said "get off", so he did.

I've been approached at a stop light and had 2 people see that I have a mace can and a medium sized push knife attached to the straps of my backpack... They just stopped walking toward me and went and leaned back against the wall where they came from. In that case it was two skinny tweakers with nothing in their hands so I just squared up put my hand on the knife handle and that was that. They just stopped, turned around and walked away. If it were multiple, much harder looking people and or a single person with a gun, I would just climb off and smile and let her go. I have more defense training than probably 90% of the population but I'm not stupid and life ain't what we see on TV... :lol:

I'd suggest not riding in that part of town. Move to another part of town so your commute does not go near that part of Phoenix, or maybe even drive the bike to some part of town where you can commute into work without going near that part of town. I was lucky I guess, my commute was on empty streets and short. Even the worst parts of my town aren't anything like you describe. Of course it is 14 degrees right now, couple inches of snow on the ground, and a 30 mph wind out of the NW. The weather might kill you on the commute just like the thugs.

AZR3

by AZR3

CharlesM wrote:
RussellS wrote:

I'm not "worried about being attacked". But people get bike jacked here and the route I have to take is through the highest concentration of violent crime and theft.

I've lived in Phoenix almost my entire 34 years and never seen anything like you described, not saying it can't happen anywhere but what part of Phoenix are you riding through? (so I can avoid that like the plague! Lol)

Ahillock

by Ahillock

CharlesM wrote:
RussellS wrote:

Sounds like someone needs to start working on his CCW/CPL quick.

AZR3

by AZR3

No need for CCW/CPL in AZ, we have a "Constitutional Carry" law

CharlesM

by CharlesM

I have a CCW and shoot regularly (500-1000 rounds a month). I just don't want the weight (even for a chest carry of something like the single stack Glock 43 that is a part of what I have on hand) and honestly, I would rather have someone steal the bike than have to shoot them for trying. The chances of a theif being as quick and accurate is very small but there is no bike in the collection worth even pushing things to that point (and nobody that's had a bike stoled has been shot for it around here despite AZ being near the top for both theft and bike deaths).

I live in North Paradise Valley and don't plan on moving despite having an office in southwest Phx... The best commute route is what it is. I don't mind. I'm fairly practical about it and the likelyhood of losing anything more than a bike for me is pretty low. Just not so low that I want to be riding around on $10k versus 2-3-4.