what are you using for cleaning bike from winter road salt?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kode54

by kode54

with the odd weather patterns, its above 40 degrees in the northeast. snow is melting and with the snow melt run off, there's so much salt in it...when i get back from a ride, my matte black Parlee is almost white from the dried salt.

i've never seen it so bad. but again, i've never ridden in February when its usually 10-15 degrees out.

any suggestions for a non corrosive bike wash? any of the WD-40 bike wash or Morgan Blue stuff any good?
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Delorre

by Delorre

I would start with lots of COLD water to get rid of all that salt. After that, use your regular cleaning method. Never use warm water first, it activates the corrosive action of salt.

kode54

by kode54

Delorre wrote:I would start with lots of COLD water to get rid of all that salt. After that, use your regular cleaning method. Never use warm water first, it activates the corrosive action of salt.

thx for the tip. i've never seen this much salt on the roads, but after the big 2 feet of snow, and 55 degree weather yesterday...its all melting away, along with the salt.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

victorduraace

by victorduraace

Yes, lukewarm water with bit of washing up liquid, then wash down with water. Use proper mudguards if possible , at least assaver and small fork fender. I would consider some sort of wax polish to keep salty grime at bay, but dont know if it is safe for carbon.

glepore

by glepore

Lots of rinse. doing it immediately is the key. Its hell on bearings and cables, carbon frame is pretty much immune. Makes sure you've got carbon paste on the interfaces though as salt between post and frame or stem and frame is not good. As warm a it is, I try not to ride a "good" bike on these wet salty roads. Big rain today will help.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

glepore wrote:Lots of rinse. doing it immediately is the key. Its hell on bearings and cables, carbon frame is pretty much immune. Makes sure you've got carbon paste on the interfaces though as salt between post and frame or stem and frame is not good. As warm a it is, I try not to ride a "good" bike on these wet salty roads. Big rain today will help.

OHHHH Yes... hoping for a warm day and lots of rain today here in NJ. Get rid of all this crap on the roads and leave us with some halfway decent roads for the weekend.

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

I normally do a brief taste-test on the down tube. Salt means a wash, if even everything looks clean.

Cold rinse, soapy warm wash, relube, wax weekly.

Just frustrating though to have to do this so many times.

jekyll man

by jekyll man

Have months of it in the uk.

Salt eats alloy parts very quickly, so at least hose your wheels down or next time you come to it, the braking surfaces will be pitted.
Spoke eyelets start growing, and your nice rear mech etc will not be so nice rather quickly.

Tyres go greasy too, after the salt becomes active when you bring your bike into somewhere slightly warmer
Official cafe stop tester

PSM

by PSM

I'm just telling my commuter to shut up! Sometimes I give the chain some lube. Cheap lube. :)

Bourquek

by Bourquek

kode54 wrote:with the odd weather patterns, its above 40 degrees in the northeast. snow is melting and with the snow melt run off, there's so much salt in it...when i get back from a ride, my matte black Parlee is almost white from the dried salt.

i've never seen it so bad. but again, i've never ridden in February when its usually 10-15 degrees out.

any suggestions for a non corrosive bike wash? any of the WD-40 bike wash or Morgan Blue stuff any good?

This stuff is pretty good https://muc-off.com/clean/10-bike-clean ... ?ref_cat=8

skiezo

by skiezo

I do not ride my carbon bike in the winter. I have a TI bike that I ride in the winter and spring. I have been out in PA the last few weeks as well.
I use a bucket with cool water and car wash soap for the wash with a large sponge and a soft scrub brush and rinse with a power washer on low pressure.
I put a latex brush on tire treatment on the tire side walls and it seems to help to keep the tires in better condition.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

victorduraace wrote:Yes, lukewarm water with bit of washing up liquid, then wash down with water. Use proper mudguards if possible , at least assaver and small fork fender. I would consider some sort of wax polish to keep salty grime at bay, but dont know if it is safe for carbon.

To the bolded, absolutely not. Salt dissolves in warm water rather than being washed away, as it is with cold. Washing up liquids actually contain salt so are not an ideal cleaning agent at the best of times. On an already salted bike this can make for an even worse situation. Use cold water only.

corky

by corky

ultimobici wrote:
victorduraace wrote:Yes, lukewarm water with bit of washing up liquid, then wash down with water. Use proper mudguards if possible , at least assaver and small fork fender. I would consider some sort of wax polish to keep salty grime at bay, but dont know if it is safe for carbon.

To the bolded, absolutely not. Salt dissolves in warm water rather than being washed away, as it is with cold. Washing up liquids actually contain salt so are not an ideal cleaning agent at the best of times. On an already salted bike this can make for an even worse situation. Use cold water only.

Indeed if a detergent of any kind is used, use a car washing shampoo as it has much less salt than washing up liquid/detergent.

sawyer

by sawyer

While it is better to use car shampoo, and it will leave a nicer finish, washing up liquid contains a tiny amount of salt, and washing the bike with that and warm water is far far better than not washing it, and will not eat your parts ...
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

The rinse should always be with cold water to remove the salt. Warm water dissolves the salt allowing it to get into places you don't want it, whereas it doesn't dissolve in cold water.

It's amusing to see customers spend thousands on Record, Dura Ace or Sram Red only to skimp on aftercare. Washing up liquid is for dishes which have no bearings, seals & the like to damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk