Velonews: Trek Madone vs. Specialized Venge ViAS

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

53x12

by 53x12

SLCBrandon wrote:So does the Venge? The bikes tested, the Trek was $4800 more than the ViAS. Four thousand eight hundred.

Did Specialized not have an S-Works ViAS to lend to Velonews at the time?

Madone 9.9 Di2= $12,000
S-Works Venge ViAS Di2= $12,900

No difference in the testing of the S-Works ViAS or the Pro ViAS as both are the same frame. Just the builds being different.

Madone is still the winner over the ViAS if comparing those two. But I would still take a Canyon/Cervelo/Felt over either of them.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

goodboyr wrote:+1. With almost the same aero as an s5, except with crap brakes . [emoji85]

My LBS mech's hate the venge vias.. stem is a nightmare. Brakes are shit , because they joke the bike is made to go fast not stop.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

jimborello

by jimborello

I would never ever buy one of those bikes, Im pretty sure most WW wouldnt buy them either.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

jimborello wrote:I would never ever buy one of those bikes, Im pretty sure most WW wouldnt buy them either.

I like the Madone - it's fast, it's comfortable, it looks good to me, why not. There's really no point to you commenting on this thread if you're not interested in either isn't it...

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

53x12

by 53x12

jimborello wrote:Im pretty sure most WW wouldnt buy them either.

There are WW members interested in both of those frames and members that own one of either of those frames. From my feel, I think most WW lean towards the Trek.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

The guys i have actually spoken to, only have had an interest towards Madone.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

ergott

by ergott

53x12 wrote: I think most WW lean towards the Trek.

When was the last time that statement was true?

:beerchug:

topflightpro

by topflightpro

The Madone also thought out the wiring and battery placement really well. I think the removable plate on the downtube to access wires/cables is really quite an advantage over the Vias, at least for set up.

Ahillock

by Ahillock

ergott wrote:
53x12 wrote: I think most WW lean towards the Trek.

When was the last time that statement was true?

:beerchug:

Yeah strange times indeed. The Emonda ALR looks like a nice alternative to those not wanting a CAAD. The Emonda looks like a nice option for those wanting to build a WW build. Trek has really stepped up their game.

From Specialized, that Allez Sprint is really their only road frame that interests me. Otherwise it is meh, for me.

joepac

by joepac

Interestingly enough, Kittel has been riding on a Vias without the cables hidden...

mile2424

by mile2424

Pro's have a cable port frame so that they can run FSA cockpits for sponsorship obligations

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Even though sponsorship obligations dictate a lot of what happens, I would bet that the externally run cables allow for kind of a win win situation here, allowing for significantly better performance, so the riders are happy, mechanics are happy, FSA is happy, and Specialized can save face over the substandard brake performance of the convoluted internal cable runs.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

joepac

by joepac

Calnago wrote:Even though sponsorship obligations dictate a lot of what happens, I would bet that the externally run cables allow for kind of a win win situation here, allowing for significantly better performance, so the riders are happy, mechanics are happy, FSA is happy, and Specialized can save face over the substandard brake performance of the convoluted internal cable runs.

I was wondering why TFR keeps the integrated cables handlebar/stem since it's such a pain; I have to assume it's a combination of Trek being the title sponsor and adequate braking.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@joepac: I'd agree with your assumption.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spartan

by spartan

no....

i suggest everyone read the excellent ridemedia #70 issue(buy digital version online). they built up both the madone/vias.

conclusion - madone brakes smooth/little friction, venge mediocre. a very good read. they also test a fuji sl/dogma f8.

cavendish comments about the braking on the vias was accurate. chrisyu's excuses about proto parts was to blame was complete BS...predict a new improved venge vias will be introduced this fall LOL

joepac wrote:
Calnago wrote:Even though sponsorship obligations dictate a lot of what happens, I would bet that the externally run cables allow for kind of a win win situation here, allowing for significantly better performance, so the riders are happy, mechanics are happy, FSA is happy, and Specialized can save face over the substandard brake performance of the convoluted internal cable runs.

I was wondering why TFR keeps the integrated cables handlebar/stem since it's such a pain; I have to assume it's a combination of Trek being the title sponsor and adequate braking.
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7