Velonews: Trek Madone vs. Specialized Venge ViAS

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

53x12

by 53x12

spartan wrote:cavendish comments about the braking on the vias was accurate. chrisyu's excuses about proto parts was to blame was complete BS...predict a new improved venge vias will be introduced this fall LOL

I think the next edition of the Venge ViAS will be with a new fork for traditional front mount brakes and possible small change to the downtube to get rid of the cut out for the front brake. I bet Specialized is realizing the market isn't as excited about the Venge ViAS as they had hoped.

New Venge ViAS 2.0 with a new fork for regular mounted brake. Watch.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ergott

by ergott

53x12 wrote:New Venge ViAS 2.0 with a new fork for regular mounted brake. Watch.

So it's a 2015 Venge for 2017?

Bourquek

by Bourquek

Venge has "significant toe overlap" according to the article. That could be a factor in favor of the Madone.

BlackMadone

by BlackMadone

There are a lot of both of these where I ride and the owners of the ViAS are meh... now the novelty has worn off and they are stuck with a expensive really heavy and harsh riding marketing trap that doesn't stop very well. On the other hand the Madone riders are fast and seem to be loving every moment of it. I've ridden both and I'd take the Madone all day everyday. When I talking to a Venge owner at a rest stop he lifted my F8 that's at least two sizes bigger than his ViAS and disappointment in his face was palpable. That being said congrats to Kittle on taking the first stage of the Dubai Tour on that heavy beast!

When said owner bought his Venge Image
Last edited by BlackMadone on Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kgt

by kgt

BlackMadone wrote:There are a lot of both of these where I ride and the owners of the ViAS are meh... now the novelty has worn off and they are stuck with a expensive really heavy and harsh riding marketing trap that doesn't stop very well.

Sorry but it's 100% their fault.
When someone was trying to state the obvious (that there are too many compromises for a nonexistent advantage) all those marketing victims were praying their new technological marvel.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Agreed. A friend who wanted a new bike just went through this. He had the previous version madone ( nice light bike, but those rear brakes behind bb). He looked at new madone, Vias, pinarello, etc ( the usual suspects for a rich lawyer). He asked me about Vias ( his lbs was selling him on how great it was). I gave him the caveats at the time ( complicated build, questionable brakes, heavy, etc). He ordered it anyhow. I don't think he'll be happy.

Kermithimself

by Kermithimself

Well it depends on what you expect. The Venge isn't made to be light, and Specialized never claimed it to be so. So if you're complaining about it not being as light as the Madone, etc, then you're just an idiot. I'd take the Vias anyday over the Trek. Don't know why, I guess I just like the looks better. But I would never choose any of those bikes as my primary bike. I'd always opt for something more neutral that I can use in any terrain, and then have a killer bike like the Venge Vias for days when I know it'll end in a sprint.
------------
If you dream of being famous - think of what birds do to statues.
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kermithimself/
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdCPaXwpeXT_LpuEF0REjqw
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/gotlegscycling/

ergott

by ergott

Kermithimself wrote:So if you're complaining about it not being as light as the Madone, etc, then you're just an idiot.

I guess I just like the looks better.

Great rationalization right there.

BlackMadone

by BlackMadone

Kermithimself wrote: But I would never choose any of those bikes as my primary bike. I'd always opt for something more neutral that I can use in any terrain, and then have a killer bike like the Venge Vias for days when I know it'll end in a sprint.

The Madone works over the same terrain as the Domane so pretty much everything despite being an aero-road bike.

wingguy

by wingguy

BlackMadone wrote:When said owner bought his Venge Image

Going Stackasaurus Rex on that 'aero' bike! :P

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

BlackMadone wrote:There are a lot of both of these where I ride and the owners of the ViAS are meh... now the novelty has worn off and they are stuck with a expensive really heavy and harsh riding marketing trap that doesn't stop very well. On the other hand the Madone riders are fast and seem to be loving every moment of it. I've ridden both and I'd take the Madone all day everyday. When I talking to a Venge owner at a rest stop he lifted my F8 that's at least two sizes bigger than his ViAS and disappointment in his face was palpable. That being said congrats to Kittle on taking the first stage of the Dubai Tour on that heavy beast!

Hard to argue, unbiased, cold, hard, facts.

trilocus

by trilocus

BlackMadone wrote:There are a lot of both of these where I ride and the owners of the ViAS are meh... now the novelty has worn off and they are stuck with a expensive really heavy and harsh riding marketing trap that doesn't stop very well. On the other hand the Madone riders are fast and seem to be loving every moment of it. I've ridden both and I'd take the Madone all day everyday. When I talking to a Venge owner at a rest stop he lifted my F8 that's at least two sizes bigger than his ViAS and disappointment in his face was palpable. That being said congrats to Kittle on taking the first stage of the Dubai Tour on that heavy beast!

Cavendish in etixx team??

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Kermithimself wrote:Well it depends on what you expect. The Venge isn't made to be light, and Specialized never claimed it to be so. So if you're complaining about it not being as light as the Madone, etc, then you're just an idiot. I'd take the Vias anyday over the Trek. Don't know why, I guess I just like the looks better. But I would never choose any of those bikes as my primary bike. I'd always opt for something more neutral that I can use in any terrain, and then have a killer bike like the Venge Vias for days when I know it'll end in a sprint.

That is exactly my point. Perhaps not going to call my friend an idiot...but it was very frustrating trying to give him a factual view, only to be told his lbs convinced him it would all be great.

packetloss

by packetloss

According to the tour magazine test the Madone is significantly better than the VIAS. The other takeaway was that none of the bikes differed by more than a couple of watts so neither the Madone nor the VIAS are worth their exorbitant price.

53x12

by 53x12

packetloss wrote:According to the tour magazine test the Madone is significantly better than the VIAS. The other takeaway was that none of the bikes differed by more than a couple of watts so neither the Madone nor the VIAS are worth their exorbitant price.

That is incorrect. There was a 18w difference from the fastest (Trek and Specialized) to the slowest (Storck).

Want a fast and reasonably priced aero road bike. Cervelo (S5 and S3) and Felt AR are still the best two options. Not to mention the Felt AR FRD comes in under 900g.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com