Removing glue residue from carbon tubular rim

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

fogman

by fogman

I forgot to mention, you need to use "Bicycle" playing cards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

Chazandrews

by Chazandrews

I'm not sure about carbon rims, but the following worked well on a set of aluminum tubulars. I started by brushing on some finish line citrus degreaser (big orange can) with an acid brush. I went around the rim twice and let it sit overnight. The next morning I went back with a small plastic bristle brush. It looked just like one of the wire bristle brushes most people use but I personally didn't want to use anything too abrasive. I put a little more degreaser in a small plastic container and let the bristles soak it up. A few times scrubbing around the rim got enough of the mastic and Belgian tape loose that I could easily wipe the rim clean (mostly clean). Finished up cleaning the rim with some acetone and a scotch brite pad just to be sure I had it all as clean as possible. Then wiped clean again with a rag and acetone.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Chris7718

by Chris7718

AlMost remover is the same chemical component.
Most important point is how long it was exposured by remover liquid.
I Recommend that leave it on gauze wetted by remover liquid over 20 minute.
there are no effects to wheels.

Kaboom

by Kaboom

I used Tufo glue remover last night to clean up the mess I made of the brake tracks while installing a new pair of tubies.

While it removes the residue well enough I wouldn't really call it "magical", it took me close to an hour to get all 4 brake tracks perfecto.

I've used it once before to restore a rim to "fully clean" condition. Applied liberally, left to act for 15 minutes, came back and wiped with rag and it did work decently but it definitely required a decent amount of elbow grease.

I really wanted to try Schwalbe's flavor but I can't find it anywhere in Spain, and I'm not about to pay 20€ shipping for 10€ worth of glue remover...

Eclat

by Eclat

Please use glue remover, not fingernail remover.
It's really bad for your health and some meterials such as plastic.

trimenc

by trimenc

What mechanics and rim manufacturers should be recommending is the use of VM&P Naptha to remove glue residue. It’s a petroleum distillate that is available anywhere you can purchase Acetone, and commercially available Nitrile gloves provide up to an hour of protection for its use. VM&P Naptha also turns out to be a better solvent for the adhesives used for gluing tubulars (removes glue easier). I have tested this in the lab and with practical use cleaning rim surfaces. The next question one will undoubtedly ask is “is VM&P Naptha safe for use with carbon rims?” The answer is yes, the epoxy matrix present in carbon fiber rims is resistant to dissolution or “attack” from any of the hydrocarbons present in VM&P Naptha. VM&P Naptha also evaporates much slower than Acetone, and leaves no residue behind.

1415chris

by 1415chris

Effetto Mariposa, turpentine, sand paper, table knife, tyre lever, small screwdriver, kitchen sponge, cloth and here we go.

Rim has never been cleaned before. Four seasons and a bit, 4-6 gluing. The only reason I took the tub off was I wanted to inspect the rim after hitting the pothole quite hard last weekend.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

I just spent about 2 hours with naptha getting about 70% of the glue off of the worst glue job I've ever seen. I'm hoping that WD40 and/or heat make the remaining 30% more reasonable tomorrow. Nobody around here seems to carry Scwhalbe or Corogna remover!

sungod

by sungod

Imaking20 wrote:I just spent about 2 hours with naptha getting about 70% of the glue off of the worst glue job I've ever seen. I'm hoping that WD40 and/or heat make the remaining 30% more reasonable tomorrow. Nobody around here seems to carry Scwhalbe or Corogna remover!

a few people have said citrus degreaser works, should be more widely available

addictR1

by addictR1

I used the Goof Off on my Aero72 last night. It’s the liquid form and some spilled on the outside of the rim leaving a white streak.

I tried to use a water soak tag to try and wash off but it was still on there. Finally used acetone and it came off and ended up using acetone to clean the rim last night.

Took me close to two hours and felt light headed even in an open vented space.

End result was still not totally clean but still have some residue left behind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sungod

by sungod

yes, you need to think before using this sort of stuff...

i once used white gas to take glue off, after a while there i was with clean rims, surrounded by paper towels with glue/white gas on them, white gas soaked into the newspapers i'd used to protect the floor, and an open can of white gas next to it all

of course i was too stoned on white gas to think about exactly how flammable/explosive this all was, lucky i didn't burn the place down with me in it!

after any cleaner like this on rims, always use acetone on clean wipes to remove any residual oil/grease, it may take a few goes to get the final traces off, then you'll get good glue adhesion

KCookie

by KCookie

I used Goof off and acetone then on the other wheel the Schwalble glue remover. The Schwalble worked really well but it's really hard to find anyone selling it, I managed to find a company in Korea, terrible communication and very slow delivery but worth it in the end.

beanbiken

by beanbiken

Automotive wax and grease remover. PPG's product name is Prepsol [in Australia anyway].......... and rags.

BB
BB

Coffee & carbon