Removing glue residue from carbon tubular rim

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

+1 on the Schwalbe Glue Remover. Apply, wait 30 mins, rub off with a rag (may need a second application depending on the amount of glue on the rim). Final wipe down with acetone to remove any remaining residue (I wipe the brake track with acetone as well to remove any pad residue).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

zev

by zev

acetone with gloves x2

nickf

by nickf

Just cleaned a carbon tub with the Carogna Remover. Looked like a new rim. Apply and wait over night. Pushed off with a tire lever. Finished with acetone to remove any residue. Used that new tape they came out with to mount the new tire. http://www.effettomariposa.eu/en/produc ... a-remover/

spookyload

by spookyload

After it is gone, hit it with denatured alcohol to get any clean residue off. Not the weak stuff you clean wounds with but the higher strength 80 or 92% strength stuff.

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

jimborello wrote:Ive always used Schwalbe glue remover , I let it work overnight and the next day I brush the rim with a copper brush and finally I use a little acetone to leave the rim as new. Ive done it that way for years (I only do it on my wheels) it is by far the fastest and best way to remove the glue.

I've tried schwalbe, using their instructions...never worked worth beans. Still have a tube, it was really useless. Maybe let it sit overnight like you did would help? But I want to get my tires glued up the same time after removing the glue. Waiting 24hrs for some remover to work is not the point I thought of that stuff?

I end up using Goof-off, then acetone for a final clean. PITA, it ruins a shop micro fiber towel every time, and requires a lot of elbow grease, but make it super clean and like new the rim. Plus wear rubber gloves while doing it.

After that though, you end up with those glue balls inside the rim. So I then use a vacuum to try and suck all the old glue balls out of the wheel, works well.

Then, I apply two coats within 30 minutes on the rim/tire, and mount. So really, in about 1-2hrs time, I have the rim cleaned/stripped, and a new tire glue/mounted. Then wait 24hrs after, always a solid and nearly impossible removal of the tire without major hassles when I need to do a tire change using that method. Never had an issue.

Frankie13

by Frankie13

I use a plastic tire lever and just scrape it off. No chemicals needed at all.

excel11

by excel11

I used a hair dryer to heat the glue and remove it. It worked, but was slow because the hair dryer continued to shut off when it got to hot. At that point I purchase a heating gun. This device allowed me to remove the glue quickly, however when I was done removing the glue I noticed that I had warped the carbon rim in two places. Therefore, I never use heat anymore.

The only product you need is Goo Gone Spray Gel. I spray it on and use a old tire to keep it applied over night. In the morning the glue wipes off with ease.
What happened to you after you fell? - Steve Porino
"I got back up and started chasing" - Geraint Thomas

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

^ I think next time I will leave the schwalbe remover on overnight at least, or try that goo gone gel method and do the same, and hope for a quick/easy wipe off. Just deal with the extra time lost to get a new tire mounted...it truly is the only part about tubulars I despise, the removal of old glue, except a flat out riding!

spookyload

by spookyload

I will second the Carogna remover. Just did a wheel while in my cubicle at work. Nobody could smell a thing. No need to leave it over night. I left it on for about 20 minutes and it came right off. Looked to be a mixture of Mastik, Tubasti, and some form of rim tape. It was a GP-4, so had probably had glue since the late 80's. Stuff is magic. Wanted to give it a go before I tired it on my Boras at a later date. No sense messing around with expensive wheels if the stuff is too strong.
Here are some before and after shots. This is a twenty minute application.

sungod

by sungod

looks good, may get some of that to try next time

on their website it says it doesn't drip, is that correct? the schwalbe remover tended to ooze down the rim and drip off, so something that stays in place would be better

Suwoni

by Suwoni

schwalbe tubular glue remove
Of users..
Had disappeared when we came in twice removed cleanly.

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

[quote="spookyload"]I will second the Carogna remover. Just did a wheel while in my cubicle at work. Nobody could smell a thing. No need to leave it over night. I left it on for about 20 minutes and it came right off. Looked to be a mixture of Mastik, Tubasti, and some form of rim tape. It was a GP-4, so had probably had glue since the late 80's. Stuff is magic. Wanted to give it a go before I tired it on my Boras at a later date. No sense messing around with expensive wheels if the stuff is too strong.
Here are some before and after shots. This is a twenty minute application.

Wow, OK. Looks like a diff solution. Little pricey though??? $20 for a tube. But hey, not sure how much you used?

But it is just wipes off...I'm in!!!

Next time, will get a tube and see.

Never heard of the stuff..good post.

audiwithbmc

by audiwithbmc

You dont need to heat up the rim, just a chemical/product to remove the glue. When I run out of Tufo glue remover, I use clean streak.. :) hey it works.

fh8425

by fh8425

If all else fail , you can maybe try this. Always use to remove glue or sticky tape when i needed to. Though not tried on carbon wheels so please do test on a small area first. Spray on and soak for a while and it will rub off easily.

fogman

by fogman

Anyone ever try using a deck of playing cards and a fan?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5vdUPvw7zwY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com