Fitting di2 to an old frame

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

smoby

by smoby

I would like to fit di2 to my 2008 tcr isp.
I am more than happy that i can remove the rivet that holds the top cable stop on the down tube to route the wire from the shifters. My issue is the battery type and location. And will the junction box fit into and through the bsa bb?
Has anyone done this conversion on here?
I could buy a new frame but i happen to love my old giant.
Cheers weenies.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

smoby

by smoby

No advice from anyone?

Birdman

by Birdman

Why not just do external routing?
Cervelo R3 MUD ~ viewtopic.php?f=10&t=136544
Specialized Allez Gold ~ viewtopic.php?f=10&t=134419

jorisee01

by jorisee01

I also would like to know if someone has done an internal battery/wiring conversion of a TCR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smoby

by smoby

I would rather have internal as it is much cleaner and i dont think it would be too tricky. I might just go for it and post the pics here when i am done. I am thinking of using the external battery as my tcr has the integrated seat post and that is aero so the internal di2 battery would probably not fit.

shlammed

by shlammed

you can wrap the battery in some kind of packing foam and pop it in the top of the seat tube.

the foam will collapse when you compress it to push it in and expand to the tube to firmly hold it in place.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

smoby wrote:I would like to fit di2 to my 2008 tcr isp.
I am more than happy that i can remove the rivet that holds the top cable stop on the down tube to route the wire from the shifters. My issue is the battery type and location. And will the junction box fit into and through the bsa bb?
Cheers weenies.

I've done a bunch of conversions on older bikes. Typically, you will need to cut "windows" into the aluminum bb insert taking care not to harm the threads. This should open up the hollow frame sections and allow you to route cables and then close them up after routing and connection. I've done older cervelo R3s, Look 595, specialized tarmacs. Haven't done a TCR, but I'm sure the same principles apply. Search for my threads a few years back on internal di2 as well as 'coloclimber" and "pritchet74".

smoby

by smoby

goodboyr wrote:
smoby wrote:I would like to fit di2 to my 2008 tcr isp.
Cheers weenies.

I've done a bunch of conversions on older bikes. Typically, you will need to cut "windows" into the aluminum bb insert taking care not to harm the threads. This should open up the hollow frame sections and allow you to route cables and then close them up after routing and connection. I've done older cervelo R3s, Look 595, specialized tarmacs. Haven't done a TCR, but I'm sure the same principles apply. Search for my threads a few years back on internal di2 as well as 'coloclimber" and "pritchet74".

Top bloke!! Thank you for this. I will go have a look just now!

Birdman

by Birdman

I'm in the middle of fitting Campagnolo EPS Athena V2 internal battery into my 2012 Cervelo R3 MUD. The MUD is for external mechanical only, so going through some minimal modification now.
Cervelo R3 MUD ~ viewtopic.php?f=10&t=136544
Specialized Allez Gold ~ viewtopic.php?f=10&t=134419

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I've cut 'windows' in the aluminum threaded BB too. I never had an issue. Both were Tarmacs

sharkman

by sharkman

did this years ago to a giant tcr 2008 isp. Did an all internal install and had to drill (dremel) two small and one large hole in the alloy bb sleeve (biggest one to the downtube.
(left the cable stopt alone and drilled a hole in the top tube.

It's a lot of work and seeing the prices of 2011+ framesets I would sell and buy another frame (plus it's better rinding).

smoby

by smoby

sharkman wrote:did this years ago to a giant tcr 2008 isp. Did an all internal install and had to drill (dremel) two small and one large hole in the alloy bb sleeve (biggest one to the downtube.
(left the cable stopt alone and drilled a hole in the top tube.

It's a lot of work and seeing the prices of 2011+ framesets I would sell and buy another frame (plus it's better rinding).

Hey sharkman.
Mine is also a 2008. Did you use an external battery or an internal one?
Also you dont have any pics do you?

smoby

by smoby

Just had a look at coloclimbers time. Wow!

sharkman

by sharkman

Hey sharkman.
Mine is also a 2008. Did you use an external battery or an internal one?
Also you dont have any pics do you?

Internal battery (in the seatpost).
don't have the bike anymore so no pics (but it still is troublefree).

smoby

by smoby

Cheers sharkman. Even knowing that the internal will fit is great info. Cheers.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com