Fitting di2 to an old frame

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

I did my own internal di2 conversion on a Tarmac SL2. It was dead easy.

Cutting a window into the aluminum BB shell took a little work, but just take your time and it's no problem.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Danza

by Danza

Did this to a system six.

Slightly open up rivet hole for head tube cable stop, open up internal BB into DT and ST, open up chain stay drain hole and drill one final hole in ST for FD.

kdne80

by kdne80

I am going for di2 as well

2old4this

by 2old4this

I see quite a lot of us going with these custom modifications but the bottom line is, one would need
- one hole in the down tube (6 mm)
- one hole on the seat tube (6 mm)
- at least one bigger hole on BB (8x16 mm if my memory is correct)
Isn't that taking too many chances while going down on a hill 40-45 mph? It may be ok if the roads are perfectly flat but would the frame be really safe if you hit a pothole?

I recommend going with eTap. Yep, the front derrauleur is not as good as DI2, and the rear one is not as fast (I have both.) Nonetheless, you've got to be able to trust your bike, right? Then again, it is just my opinion...

glepore

by glepore

No, its not taking too many chances. These holes are trivial if done correctly. I've converted several bikes, no big deal. Most bb's are seriously overbuilt, and the holes in the tubes are negligible.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record