Wide road shoes with Boa closure?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RedRacer

by RedRacer

I am looking for wide(ish) road shoes with the Boa closure system.

My feet are big (47) and aren't terribly wide but the Shimano SH-R320 and the new Specialized S-Works 6 are both a bit too narrow and cause a tingling feeling after 30mins on the bike.

I am searching for high-end, light weight and stiff racing shoes that offer relatively good comfort with a wider platform and the Boa dials.

The Fizik R1B UOMO and Lake CX 402 caught my eye but my LBS doesn't have either for me to try on.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kkibbler

by kkibbler

Fizik aren't known to be wide. Consider Sidi Mega, Bont wide & double wide.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Bont wide shoes. You can further mould them if necessary.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Also look at Lake.
(I think) All of their models are available in 'wide'
and
(I know) their wide lasts are actually wide lasts. Many companies, such as Giro, don't have a different last for their normal vs. 'wide' variations: they just add more to the upper, so your wide feet will end up splaying out over the sole. A true wide shoe will have a wider last so you foot is supported across the entire width.

Their prices are decent, too.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

brianthemagical

by brianthemagical

I found the Louis Garneau Course Air Lite Road Shoe to be wider than most. The issue I was having was too much volume for a given width, so the upper would be really pinched under the dials, and the toe box would have too much room.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

kkibbler wrote:Fizik aren't known to be wide.

Fizik now come in a half size. Where the last is actually wider too (not just a wider upper on the standard last). So yeah, their new stuff is certainly wider. And I say this as someone with a wide foot.

OP, how 'wide' is wide? Do you have a size you can throw at us?

Joelk

by Joelk

I have very wide feet, and have had great success with Lake. The only downside for the OP is that they may be too wide if his feet are just a little wide. Check out their web site as they give actual measurements or their wide and standard shoes.

RedRacer

by RedRacer

Tinea Pedis wrote:
kkibbler wrote:
OP, how 'wide' is wide? Do you have a size you can throw at us?

Thanks for all the input. The Lake shoes sound like a great option.

Re how 'wide' is wide, I just found this which should be helpful http://lakecycling.com/pages/sizing-charts

Treelegs

by Treelegs

No boas, but I normally wear 48/49 wide depending on brand.

For the Sidi Mega, I actually went down to 47. The 48 is seemingly significantly larger than most brands' 48's with the arch support noticeably further forward and a huge toe box.

I had to special order the 47 through my LBS from the factory, so don't be disappointed if it isn't immediately available from a regional distributor.

Rick

by Rick

S-Works now comes in a wide; although I don't know where available.

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

I got a pair of Lake shoes in Wide. They are kangaroo skin. Not the stiffest, I got the single Boa version. I still had to use a stretcher in the toe box to relieve some rubbing/discomfort, could of used a .5 size larger likely to resolve that. Otherwise, they have been good shoes.

Think I'm going to try Bont next next, I have a toe/foot like that shoe is designed. My middle toe is much longer than my big toe, and my third toe is as long as my big toe...so yeah...sucks finding shoes.

The Lakes have been good so far though otherwise. You can mold the heel only, which is nice, because my heal never lifts up after pressing/heating it on my foot/heel. The next highest version I though also can mold the sole?

I also have custom orthotics...so that helps as well. Because the standard insoles, like Bont and others, suck.

Rascal

by Rascal

I feel the pain of your situation RedRider; I have the same fit issues with my 3yr old S-Works with BOA's. They are just not wide enough for my wide foot & if I crank them down to tight I can have foot pain for a day or two. I was searching for new shoes recently & saw the new S-Works in wide, but not in the color I wanted (white/black). I've always heard good things about Shimano shoes & LBS had them in wide. I bought them & had them molded. I havn't ridden them yet but I know I'm going to miss the BOA closures big time...
-Giant TCR
-CAAD5
-Klein Rascal

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

RedRacer wrote:Re how 'wide' is wide, I just found this which should be helpful http://lakecycling.com/pages/sizing-charts

Maybe I wasn't clear. I was asking how wide is your foot? D? EE? Etc.

mogwaiboi

by mogwaiboi

I have some Lake CX237 in wide fit with the dual BOA. I also purchased the Shimano R321 wide as I was interested in the custom fit, and I liked the design. I thought I would miss the BOA dials but I actually find the Shimano easier to undo and get in and out of than the Lakes, and they are a better fit for me as well. The 321 have more give in them and never hurt my Hobbit feet.
Canyon Ultimate CF SL
Canyon Grizl CF SLX
Open U.P.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rascal

by Rascal

Guess I need to just mount cleats on my 321's & go ride...
-Giant TCR
-CAAD5
-Klein Rascal