Wide road shoes with Boa closure?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

topflightpro

by topflightpro

Have you thought about custom?

After going through Specialized, Sidi, Lake, and Shimano, as well as ordering and returning Bont, Fizik, Northwave and Diadora, I bit the bullet and bought Riivo Semi-Custom shoes with the custom insole. I went for the version with the buckle and two velcro straps, but they do offer versions with dials.

I liked them enough to order a second pair late last year when they were offering 10 percent off.

They are pricey, but I figure that I put about 500 hours in on the bike each year, and my shoes generally last 3-4 years, so that works out to 50-75 cents per hour of use. And really, I've spent way more on other parts of my bike that have much less impact on my comfort.

Also, my wife got sick of me complaining about my feet hurting and me ordering and returning shoes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bourquek

by Bourquek

RedRacer wrote:I am looking for wide(ish) road shoes with the Boa closure system.

My feet are big (47) and aren't terribly wide but the Shimano SH-R320 and the new Specialized S-Works 6 are both a bit too narrow and cause a tingling feeling after 30mins on the bike.

I am searching for high-end, light weight and stiff racing shoes that offer relatively good comfort with a wider platform and the Boa dials.

The Fizik R1B UOMO and Lake CX 402 caught my eye but my LBS doesn't have either for me to try on.

Have you checked out DMT shoes? They have a Boa closure system and fit relatively wide compared to Sidi. Unfortunately, I don't think a lot of local shops carry them.

nohands

by nohands

Tried fizik they are definitely not wide. I currently have some Sidi Mega's and they work great. There's also a new Mega model - Ergo 4 which has boa and a strap.

noctilux

by noctilux

Bourquek wrote:
Have you checked out DMT shoes? They have a Boa closure system and fit relatively wide compared to Sidi. Unfortunately, I don't think a lot of local shops carry them.

I got my DMT with BOA closures at ebay. It's true that the DMT's are wide. Really wide.
My first purchase was a 44 as I wear a 44 Sidi Mega. However, the DMT's were wider than my normal wide shoes so I sold them and bought another pair in size 43.5.

jeffy

by jeffy

shimano do a wide fit version (if your 321s are not already)

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

Zigmeister wrote:Think I'm going to try Bont next next, I have a toe/foot like that shoe is designed. My middle toe is much longer than my big toe, and my third toe is as long as my big toe...so yeah...sucks finding shoes.

If this is the case, Bonts will be no good for you in my own, almost identical, experience.

Bonts are fine if your 2nd toe is long, but if your 3rd toe is long too I believe it will touch the end of the toe box - this is what I always suffered with in Bonts.

To the OP: I have quite a wide foot (a long time since it was measured, so I'm not sure if I'm an E or EE, or whatever), and I got on ok with S-Works shoes - although that was back in 2010. I now swear by wide fit Lake 402s (and get on ok with wide Shimanos), so much so that since I got my Lakes I haven't bought a pair of shoes in almost 2yrs, which for me is unheard of.

I plan to try the Fizik RB1 as I have been told the last was widened for this new design, but it depends what the retail price is in Aus when they land.

JensW

by JensW

my vote is for Bont Wide, haven't tried Lake wide, but a lot of other wide shoes, and for me, the bont is far best, specially after baked in the owen

kode54

by kode54

i just got an email saying that all Specialized S-Works 6 shoes are in stock. i checked and are available. the regular S-Works shoes worked well for me and i have a wide foot, E. not sure if the S-Works Wide is E or EE.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Bourquek

by Bourquek

noctilux wrote:
Bourquek wrote:

I got my DMT with BOA closures at ebay. It's true that the DMT's are wide. Really wide.
My first purchase was a 44 as I wear a 44 Sidi Mega. However, the DMT's were wider than my normal wide shoes so I sold them and bought another pair in size 43.5.

Just curious, which set of DMTs did you buy? Are they one of the newer models or the older Vega?

EdGr

by EdGr

kode54 wrote:i just got an email saying that all Specialized S-Works 6 shoes are in stock. i checked and are available. the regular S-Works shoes worked well for me and i have a wide foot, E. not sure if the S-Works Wide is E or EE.

I just looked at the Specialized site & it looks like they got in a good bit of inventory, but still not fully stocked on wides.

And after searching the Specialized FAQs, it looks like the regulars are D, and the wide are single E.