Help: Giro Empire SLX - do they stretch?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nemeseri

by nemeseri

So I got the giro empire slx and I love everything about it. Well... Almost everything.
When I tie them properly, it feels ok, just a tad thight in the toe box. I'm kinda worried that the one size larger would be too big and loose, and I like my shoes thight. If it stretched just a bit, I think it would be perfect. I'm worried to send it back and get a one size larger just to get back the original pair later.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nejmann

by Nejmann

I don't think they stretch. Mine hasn't. Why don't you get a 1/2 size then? :-) But you could also try a shoe stretcher?

istigatrice

by istigatrice

From anecdotal evidence, the Giro Empire shoes do stretch slightly

In my personal experience (with the Trans E70 - not sure if different upper) they stretch within a season.
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Cycling shoes do not stretch in length, they are designed not to do so.
Especially with carbon fiber soles and toe reinforcement in the shoes.
I have taken a few shoes to a very skilled shoe maker and we have discussed this.

Some shoes using carbon soles, they are so stiff that his machine made for stretching shoes, would simply brake if he tried to stretch these.
So stiff are these shoes.
So in short, if it pushes at the big toe, the shoes are too short.
For example, i have 46½ Giro Factor and Empire VR-90 and my feets are 285mm long. I can't use shorter shoes.
I have tested Mavics Maxi-fit and normal size and i brought some of the normal sized in for stretching.
It is not even possible. This is the information i got from this shoe makers and he had all shoes at hand.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

Sorry, I think my post may have been a bit misleading then - I meant the uppers stretch, or 'wear' in terms of volume, no expansion in terms of length. If you don't have enough room in the toe box you won't get any more. But if they're too tight around the uppers then that may stretch out a bit.
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

ichobi

by ichobi

Some shoes have soft heel cup (not Bont). They are padded and this area can be stretched due to long term use. Just the material degradation, especially the lower end model so you might get some comfort here if you keep using them.

Bogan

by Bogan

Leather stretches. Most cycling shoes these days have synthetic uppers it appears. The synthetic materials used will stretch only marginally if at all.
MAMIL? Never. O.F.I.L. yeh! (Old F**ker in Lycra)

nemeseri

by nemeseri

Thank you all for the info. I bit the bullet and bought half size larger too. I will trade the one I don't want later on ebay. I usually don't create threads this stupid, but it was around 2mm I was talking about. We will see.

The conversion chart on Giro's website is kinda useless. It put me in size 41 and I'm ended up testing 41 1/2 and 42. (My feet is 259mm long).

Maybe this can be useful for someone later (just to compensate for the stupid thread):
Giro Empire SLX - Mavic Zxellium / Galibier => Giro is 1/4 size smaller.
Giro Empire SLX - Bont Vaypor Sprint => Giro is 1/4 size larger.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

nemeseri wrote:Thank you all for the info. I bit the bullet and bought half size larger too. I will trade the one I don't want later on ebay. I usually don't create threads this stupid, but it was around 2mm I was talking about. We will see.

The conversion chart on Giro's website is kinda useless. It put me in size 41 and I'm ended up testing 41 1/2 and 42. (My feet is 259mm long).

Maybe this can be useful for someone later (just to compensate for the stupid thread):
Giro Empire SLX - Mavic Zxellium / Galibier => Giro is 1/4 size smaller.
Giro Empire SLX - Bont Vaypor Sprint => Giro is 1/4 size larger.

Buying shoes is a nightmare when it comes down to finding correct size and fit.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

prebsy

by prebsy

My OG empires and empire ACC's and empire vr90s have stretched just slightly. As for sizing definitely try before you buy.

rheosibal

by rheosibal

They do! I only use empires (2 vr90s, 1 empire, 1 empire slx), and I've noticed that all of them stretch EXCEPT the slx's. I have the most miles in my slx's and they still fit as snug as when I bought them.
Instagram: joserheo

|| Mosaic RT-1 || Cannondale Evo || Cannondale CAAD10 ||

zev

by zev

I haven't noticed much stretch in 4 months

zev

by zev

X2, minimal change

blatchcorn

by blatchcorn

Get the S-works Sub 6. The Giros were to narrow for me and the Sub 6 has laces and fits amazing. I ended up buying the dialed version though as high end dials are better than laces (although laces do beat budget dials).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dr.Dos

by Dr.Dos

No "stretching" here.

Just a guess, could it be the inner padding wearing out instead of the outer material stretching?