Help buying bike, geometry charts...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

eyedrop

by eyedrop

Im buying a road bike in the coming months and need help. Ive been riding/racing for 3.5 years. I need a racing bike for long days in the mountains. Something fairly aggressive but still good for long days in the saddle. Im looking to get something light and stiff, twitchy aggressive formula 1 handling, a compact crank, 32t cassette (preferebly ultegra di2 long cage), stages power meter, a frame geometry that is as close to perfect as possible, and a professional 3D bike fit.

Problem is, Im only 5'2" (male) and its impossible to test ride bikes at shops because none carry my size. Its even hard to find used bikes in my size (except for WSD, yuck). Ive been stuck riding a slightly too big 50cm time trial bike the past 2 years because its the only thing I could find without buying online! So im basically stuck buying a bike sight unseen... I need help finding a great bike/frame. I realize it will be about impossible find a stock bike with di2 long cage and stages power, and light wheels. So im willing to build up from the frameset if I have to.

I dont want to spend more than is necessary to get good performance. Ultegra with a light aluminum frame, chinese carbon wheels and a power meter would be good enough for me...

Here are my measurements from competitive cyclist:
(inches)
inseam: 29.25
trunk: 22.75
forearm: 12.25
arm: 23
thigh: 20.75
lower leg: 18.75
sternal notch: 51
total height: 62

The Competitive Fit (cm):
seat tube range c-c: 48.1 - 48.6 cm
seat tube range c-t: 49.6 - 50.1 cm
top tube length: 50.3 - 50.7 cm
stem length: 9.8 - 10.4 cm
bb-saddle position: 63.4 - 65.4 cm
saddle handlebar: 46.8 - 47.4 cm
saddle setback: 2.6 - 3 cm

Im leaning towards the competitive fit because #1: Im racing and #2: I can always add spacers or adjust stem if I need more comfort.

Ive thought about getting a custom frame but the pricing and wait times are a little much. Id like to get mass produced if possible...

Can someone please help me decipher these geometry charts and narrow down some mass produced frames that would be a great match for me? I dont care what brand or color it is...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Birdman

by Birdman

Have you ever had a professional bike fit done? Totally worth it in my opinion if you find a good fitter. My fitter has a data base of A LOT of bike's geometry and plugs in my fit info for me. I'm able to calculate too but that's a nice service included with the fitting.
Cervelo R3 MUD ~ viewtopic.php?f=10&t=136544
Specialized Allez Gold ~ viewtopic.php?f=10&t=134419

Birdman

by Birdman

Everything starts with a professional bike fit IMHO. With the fit result, I plug the info into my spreadsheet.

Saddle height and seat back is easy, so I didn't bother with my calculation. I was more concern with the handle bar position, so that's what that one whole sheet is about, see image below.

From the info provided by CompetitiveCyclist I can get the "handle bar X" dimension, but I'll also need a "handle bar Y" dimension to make the proper calculation. Otherwise it will just be guessing.

Cervelo R3 MUD ~ viewtopic.php?f=10&t=136544
Specialized Allez Gold ~ viewtopic.php?f=10&t=134419

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Cannondale Women's frames are some of the smallest I've come across.

I am a small man and ride a 44cm Alloy Women's Synapse. I had to buy a complete bike and swap out the parts, but I have a fit that I am happy with.

wingguy

by wingguy

eyedrop wrote:... and a professional 3D bike fit.

Problem is, Im only 5'2" (male) and its impossible to test ride bikes at shops because none carry my size.

I may be missing something but I don't really understand your question. If you get a professional bike fit you wont need to test ride anything to know what fits and you don't need our advice yet on what might fit.

Until you have the dimensions of a riding position you are happy with then any sizing and geometry advice will be based on assumptions, and when your already towards the fringes of normal sizing you will have less margin of adjustment than most to correct the size of a bike you buy based on assumptions.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

Another vote for the professional fit. Asking a forum to do that over a post is not the way to get good results.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

eyedrop

by eyedrop

So you guys are saying to just go to a fitter first? There are local shops that do professional fittings such as Specialized BG, Trek precision fit, etc... But how would they be able to fit me if there is nothing in stock?? How would they know which model would be best?

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

if they know their craft, they will be able to translate your dimensions , flexibility and preferred riding style into an appropriate frame. Many shops also employ fitting systems that can assist in the process.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)

eric

by eric

Myself and a number of other people have gotten really funky results from that Competitive Cyclist fit calculator. I suggest getting a second opinion. A good local in person fit would be best. Many don't need to have a bike your size to do the fit- they use special stationary fitting "bikes" that are mega adjustable. If you don't want to spend the money for that, at least check out some other fit calculators. Keep in mind that fitters, and the people who write the calculators, work to certain theories. Your particular biomechanics and riding style may fit some theories better than others. A fit that includes observing you pedal and ride would be best.

You can fit yourself but it requires paying attention to how you feel and being honest with yourself, and also making some mistakes. When you pay for a pro fit you're paying for someone else to have already made the mistakes and learned from them.

No race bike will come with a long cage derailleur and a 32t cassette. You'll need to build a bike or modify one to get that.

What long races will you be doing that require a compact and a 32t cog? I like hard epic events like that.

eyedrop

by eyedrop

Okay, now the stationary fitting bike thing makes sense! That way they can order what I need... Ill find a place that has one of those.

I live in Prescott, AZ. The main local climbs are called White Spar mountain and Mingus mountain. There is the "skull valley loop challenge" which is 55 miles and 3000ft climbing. The Mingus Loop is 91 miles and 5800ft climbing. Then there is Mt. Lemmon in Tuscon which is 60 miles and over 8000ft of climbing.

There is a particular road in my residential area that gets up to 17% gradient! Right now Im on a compact with 28T and while its "enough" to get up it, Its very difficult to keep your cadence high and not blow up. I end up grinding my way up it or standing up.

I think a 32t would be useful when Im trying to stay in a specific zone while training. Around here, we find it difficult to find flat roads so its hard to stay in the right zone without the proper gears.

wingguy

by wingguy

eyedrop wrote:So you guys are saying to just go to a fitter first? There are local shops that do professional fittings such as Specialized BG, Trek precision fit, etc... But how would they be able to fit me if there is nothing in stock?? How would they know which model would be best?

Find someone who has an adjustable geometry fitting bike.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

17% is doable with your current set-up. What you need is practice.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)

wingguy

by wingguy

fromtrektocolnago wrote:17% is doable with your current set-up...

He says, knowing nothing about the guy's fitness, age, weight etc...

I used to do all my riding including 100 milers with 15kft of climbing and multiple 25%+ ramps with a 39/25 as a granny gear. Sure it was doable, but it was also really dumb and now I use gearing that does it better.

grover

by grover

If you can try and find a fitter that is just a fitter, not a bike shop. Firstly they won't be trying to make you fit on a particular brand that they sell. Secondly they're probably more experienced with fitting than whoever you get at the bike shop.

It's not an absolute requirement but a good place to start is someone that uses Retul or Guru systems. Both of these have an adjustable bike to fit you and a database of hundreds of brands/models/sizes to then give you some recommendations based on the fit you achieve on the adjustable bike.

On another note, many WSD frames have identical geometry to the unisex (mens) version. They are only WSD by other specifics like bar width, lever reach, crank length, saddle. Also, some look like womens bikes or have logos designating that but that is getting less common.

A good example is the Trek Emonda. I personally bought an SL5 WSD because I liked the blue colour. It has no WSD logos and has identical geometry to the non-WSD SL5. I stripped it to a frameset and rebuilt with what I wanted.

PS. My girlfriend is 5'3. She rides a 49cm Tarmac and a 50cm Boone. She does like a slightly more upright position though. For you I think a great place to start would be a 47cm Trek Emonda or Emonda ALR, 48cm Cannondale SuperSix EVO or CAAD12, 49cm Specialized Tarmac or Allez. The Trek has a higher 'stack' than the Cannondale or Specialized generally (unless you go to the top frameset designated SLR) hence the smaller size to allow your desired aggressive position. The Specialized may err on the too big size for you so Cannondale would probably be a better option.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

wingguy wrote:
fromtrektocolnago wrote:17% is doable with your current set-up...

He says, knowing nothing about the guy's fitness, age, weight etc...

I used to do all my riding including 100 milers with 15kft of climbing and multiple 25%+ ramps with a 39/25 as a granny gear. Sure it was doable, but it was also really dumb and now I use gearing that does it better.

op said nothing about the duration of the 17%'s. if it's multi-mile, I agree with you, if its short duration, not so much.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com