Removing, fitting and adjusting Pinarello headset

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Jonny R

by Jonny R

Hi,

I have recently bought a Pinarello Prince frame with Vola forks and a Pinarello integrated headset. The forks seem to be adjusted ok but I'd like to mess around with them. I'm not sure how to remove them.

It seems they have a different clamping system than the a-headset on my c-40. There appears to be a cross-shaped spacer down towards the bottom of the head tube though I have no clue how to remove/adjust it!

Does someone know how to take such a headset apart? I've googled it but haven't had any luck finding a link to an instruction sheet.

A spacer is fitted and I'm not even sure how to get that off!! javascript:emoticon(':?') Do i just have to spin the forks or something stupid? Help?!?

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks a lot

Jonny R :?

jimmer23

by jimmer23

LOL good luck and get out the hammer! :lol:

They're a royal PITA in my experience. Just some patience and no hesitation to bang away at the fork will seat/unseat it. nexusheli is the resident expert and I'm sure he'll see this and help you out best he can. Great bike, hope you get is sorted out soon so you can enjoy it!! :thumbup: [/b]

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nexusheli

by nexusheli

The Pinarello integrated headset is a press-fit set-up. Get yourself a soft-faced mallet and just whack the top of the steerer straight down. Don't be afraid to whack it hard, just make sure you don't nail the frame.

One you get that out, everything else should come out fairly easily. Just make sure you don't wiggle the bearings if any of them get stuck in the head-tube, you don't want to ovalize the races. You may need to use a bearing puller, many good bike shops should have one.

Hope that helps.

Erez_Pinarello

by Erez_Pinarello

Jonny R wrote:Hi,

I have recently bought a Pinarello Prince frame with Vola forks and a Pinarello integrated headset. The forks seem to be adjusted ok but I'd like to mess around with them. I'm not sure how to remove them.

It seems they have a different clamping system than the a-headset on my c-40. There appears to be a cross-shaped spacer down towards the bottom of the head tube though I have no clue how to remove/adjust it!

Does someone know how to take such a headset apart? I've googled it but haven't had any luck finding a link to an instruction sheet.

A spacer is fitted and I'm not even sure how to get that off!! javascript:emoticon(':?') Do i just have to spin the forks or something stupid? Help?!?

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks a lot

Jonny R :?

if you think taking it apart is easy

wait untill you have to put everything back on :-)

if you don't need to replace anything - dont play with the set !!!

Jonny R

by Jonny R

Guys,

Thanks a lot for the help. I can't believe I'll have to whack it with a hammer!!

So, just how do you put it back togther? Just whack for the bottom?!

jimmer23

by jimmer23

That's putting it lightly. WHACK it! I never did get the Dog fork seated perfectly - I have a couple hundred miles on it now and it is almost in place. Slowly but surely the road bumps are helping me out... :roll:

Good luck!

Jonny R

by Jonny R

But where do you put the little widget with the cross shape that i can see down the head tube?

What advantage do pinarello see in this method? They got stock in a mallet company?

nexusheli

by nexusheli

Jonny R wrote:But where do you put the little widget with the cross shape that i can see down the head tube?

What advantage do pinarello see in this method? They got stock in a mallet company?

It's actually a really cool system. I doesn't need any adjustment once you get everything seated properly, though it can be a pain.

Yours won't be as bad as some of the newer frames, but yes, if you take it apart, when you go to put the fork back in, you'll want to put a 1x4 wrapped with some rags or an old piece of carpet between the legs against the lower crown and whack the 1x4 with a mallet hard.

It's a pretty foolproof system, it lasts a long time before you need to replace the bearings, and it's nearly impossible to mess it up like some other integrated systems through mal-adjustment.

Who knows, maybe one day we will see Pinarello sledge-hammers.

Jonny R

by Jonny R

Wow! It certainly seems smooth enough. Maybe i'll leave it alone for now...

Thanks again for all the helpful replies :D

Erez_Pinarello

by Erez_Pinarello

nexusheli wrote:
Jonny R wrote:But where do you put the little widget with the cross shape that i can see down the head tube?

It's actually a really cool system. I doesn't need any adjustment once you get everything seated properly, though it can be a pain.

Yours won't be as bad as some of the newer frames, but yes, if you take it apart, when you go to put the fork back in, you'll want to put a 1x4 wrapped with some rags or an old piece of carpet between the legs against the lower crown and whack the 1x4 with a mallet hard.

It's a pretty foolproof system, it lasts a long time before you need to replace the bearings, and it's nearly impossible to mess it up like some other integrated systems through mal-adjustment.

Who knows, maybe one day we will see Pinarello sledge-hammers.

Bearing press!!!!!
Ill post some pictures.

the best method is to that a headset presser - normally the cyclus one will do the trick

then to place two on the park tool crown tool (the blue ones are in the exact pinarello bearing size) put the two blue crown setters on the headset cups presser and allign them on the outer area

then you just converted the headset press into a PINARELLO HEADSET press and voila!!!

4 minutes and you have the entire system mounted back on!!!

now to press the fork in:
1. you push the fork in as much as it goes in
2. use the Pinarello cup as a fork puller - now you know why its so heavy.
mount the internal part on the fork
put two spacers
rotate the cup -->> the fork will move up - more correct the fork will be polled updards.
3. release the tension and add or remove one more spaces and reture section to 2.
4. do this 2-3 section untill the fork is mounted correctly!!!

please do not wack a pinarello frame or I'll come looking for you :-)

I'll see if I have some photoes for you about the procedure

Erez

Jonny R

by Jonny R

Erez,

that would be greatly appreciated.

I'll try not to whack the frame... way too nice for that :lol:

A e o l u s

by A e o l u s

I take it you have recieved the frame ok then?

Jonny R

by Jonny R

Hi Jack

It arrived really quickly. Seat tube is a little longer than anticipated but top tube looks fine so it should fit ok! Just got to get it set up the same as my C40 which is shorter on the seat tube but just a few mm smaller on the top tube.

Thanks for packing it so well.

J

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com