Chinese replica frames, warning

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Getter

by Getter

Wondering if its the wheels more than the frame. The tires also look pretty big.

I tired that with my S2 and I can't get it to move like that. My wheels (404 tubs) don't look to move like that either.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

glepore

by glepore

That lateral load shown in the video is a test of nothing, really. That force vector isn't something that happens in riding.

However, some of this thread is talking past each other. Manufacturing in China is diverse now. You can get whatever level of QC you want, from the type that Spec and Cannondale want (just be wary of where your IP goes, that's a cultural difference) to knockoff stuff with no QC. And even with the knockoff stuff, some of it is perfectly usable. Even the knockoff watches are perfectly usable.

There is no pedigree with the knockoff frames. There are plenty of vids on youtube of what you get with replica Colnagos (no lugs) Venges (poorly finished interior layup) and Williers. However, none of those videos prove that the frames are dangerous, just that they are not made with the care and advanced layup of the better bikes.

I rode a generic bike (fm066) for 2 and a half years, went down a couple times on it, and it was fine. But the ride, although perfectly acceptable, wasn't as refined as other non-generic bikes that I've been on. Of course, it was 1/3 to 1/2 the price.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

kgt

by kgt

glepore wrote:That lateral load shown in the video is a test of nothing, really. That force vector isn't something that happens in riding.

It is true that this is something that does not really happen when riding but this is definitely a way to 'test' a frame's flex. Certainly a stiff enough frame will not flex like that.

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

darnellrm wrote:That is ludicrous. Any impact with enough force to damage a carbon frame is certainly going to leave evidence on the surface.

Not even remotely true.
formerly rruff...

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

kgt wrote:Certainly a stiff enough frame will not flex like that.

They do. It's normal. I have carbon, titanium, and aluminum road bikes that all do it, and a carbon TT bike that appears to be the worst.
formerly rruff...

kgt

by kgt

Maybe I am lucky because mine do not.

Dr.Dos

by Dr.Dos

So Planet-X puts its business in danger by selling painted Chinese counterfeit Cervelo R3/5 that are prone to failure? Really?

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Last I checked, Tarmac and Allez have a sticker "handmade in Taiwan". Historically, Chinese could care less about quality, whether it's a frame or grape juice. As a matter of fact they could care less about their own nation with such population. Last thing they are going to do is worry about quality control of the frames they slap together.
In contrast, Germans, French, Swiss and Italians take pride in anything they produce. They take their sweet time, that's how they were brought up from generation to generation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by mpulsiv on Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

euan

by euan

You are right, Cervelo and Pinarellos are junk

wingguy

by wingguy

Dr.Dos wrote:So Planet-X puts its business in danger by selling painted Chinese counterfeit Cervelo R3/5 that are prone to failure? Really?

Planet X don't sell chinese counterfeit R3/5s. They sell chinese open mold frames - there is a difference.

wingguy

by wingguy

mpulsiv wrote:In contrast, Germans, French, Swiss and Italians take pride in anything they produce. They take their sweet time, that's how they were brought up from generation to generation.

So why do German, French, Swiss and Italian companies outsource their frames to get made in China?

wingguy

by wingguy

glepore wrote: Even the knockoff watches are perfectly usable.

Yeah, but I never heard of a knockoff watch breaking someone's collar bone or smashing their front teeth out when it stopped working :wink:

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

wingguy wrote:
mpulsiv wrote:In contrast, Germans, French, Swiss and Italians take pride in anything they produce. They take their sweet time, that's how they were brought up from generation to generation.

So why do German, French, Swiss and Italian companies outsource their frames to get made in China?

I illustrated a broad statement about culture differences. Production of carbon frames is the not the pivot here. Not 100% of frames are made in China, needless to say it's not about the origin but lack of quality control. When it comes to knockoffs and open mold, quality control must be non-existent because no one gives a shit.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

wingguy

by wingguy

Oh I agree that a lot of fakes have no quality control whatsoever (though I'm not so sure about open molds) but the issue is a lack of accountability, not simply the location of the factory.

That's why the europeans who you say take so much pride send frames out to get made by the Chinese - because they know they can do a good job.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kgt

by kgt

The main reason they send frames out to get made by the Chinese just because that's cheaper.