Chinese replica frames, warning

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

depressedfish

by depressedfish

I'm new here, so after watching the vids, is it a sign of bad frame?
I was expecting a crackdown or something.

stockae92

by stockae92

There are some decent Chinese frames, just search around and you will get all the info you need.

Count your blessing that nothing has broken yet. don't walk, run to replace that frame.

I much rather ride a no name well built frame than a bad frame with a (fake) brand name on it.

Unless the fake bike goes well with your fake Rolex, then by all means keep it the way it is.

(when you share that you bought a replica bike, be prepared to put your flame suit on)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eric

by eric

depressedfish wrote:I'm new here, so after watching the vids, is it a sign of bad frame?

Standing on the pedal like that is a useless test. So many other things besides the frame are flexing-tires, wheels, crank. The force applied is not measured and in fact many people just stomp harder until they see flex. And the force is not in the same direction as when a rider is pedalling.

That said, what I've seen about replica (as opposed to open mold) frames is that they duplicate the shape but not the layup of the original (see the VeloNews "counterfeit" article). Sometimes internal stiffeners in the original are left out of the replica as in the WorksWell R5 copy. While the resulting frame could well be perfectly safe, it may not be as stiff as the original. That's what VeloNews found with the Specialzed Tarmac clone they examined. I don't know how the WorksWell R5 copy fares in that regard but there's a number of people here happily riding them and no reports of failure.

srshaw

by srshaw

There are plenty of good Chinese frames (in fact aren't most frames Chinese?), I'm not sure 'replica' one will be engineered as well though.

Looking at how the tyre is almost touching the chainstay when pressure is applied would make me think this isn't the last word in stiffness though.

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

I reckon it depends on the type of riding you do. I can tell you that numerous times per week I'm internalizing; bike, please don't fail me now. It would be gruesome, or worse, downright deadly.

I've seen examples of fake failures.

Because of the demands I put my equipment through, I use only known quantity name brand products. End of discussion.

MikeDee

by MikeDee

Does the chain rub on the front derailleur when you're in the big ring, a high gear, and putting a lot of power to it? If not, don't worry.

Junior7

by Junior7

99% of Chinese frames are trash....

Buy a cheap or used original.

Birdman

by Birdman

Junior7 wrote:99% of Chinese frames are trash...

There are couple hundred pages worth of information on this forum will disagree with that statement.
Cervelo R3 MUD ~ viewtopic.php?f=10&t=136544
Specialized Allez Gold ~ viewtopic.php?f=10&t=134419

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Junior7 wrote:99% of Chinese frames are trash....

:popcorn:

Like a Specialized? That's a Chinese frame.
Or maybe a Bianchi? Chinese
Or a Cannondale? Chinese
Or maybe a Merida? Chinese
Or a Canyon? Chinese
Or, I know, a Rose? Chinese
Or a Boardman? Chinese
Or, perhaps, you were thinking a Cervelo? Chinese
We can keep going if you want.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

kgt

by kgt

As many others have said, a used hi-end carbon frame from a serious manufacturer is a much more clever choise than any no-name made in China frame.
One can find amazing carbon frames for like a half or even 1/3 of their original price.

breezerboy
Shop Owner

by breezerboy

http://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/components/catch-counterfeiter-sketchy-world-fake-bike-gear

Plenty of good Chinese made frames, many branded, many not. Unfortunately, I've never seen a "fake" that was any good. At best, they give a dull, lifeless ride. At worst, your next ride is also your last.

glepore

by glepore

Need to ignore posters like junior 7- he's one of the trolls posting nonsense in several threads at once to up post count. Its been a plague lately.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Can we really compare a no name frame manufacturer with a tested and clearly approved manufacturer?
Is that serious, really?
It's like comparing a hot dog cart to luxury restaurant (and that may also come down on the pricing).
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Fiery

by Fiery

eric wrote:Standing on the pedal like that is a useless test. So many other things besides the frame are flexing-tires, wheels, crank.

True in general, but no amount of crank and tyre flex can make the tyre touch the chainstay - only frame and/or wheel flex will do that. Then if the same thing happens with different wheels, the cause can quite confidently be narrowed down to just the frame.

Junior7

by Junior7

prendrefeu wrote:
Junior7 wrote:99% of Chinese frames are trash....

:popcorn:

Like a Specialized? That's a Chinese frame.
Or maybe a Bianchi? Chinese
Or a Cannondale? Chinese
Or maybe a Merida? Chinese
Or a Canyon? Chinese
Or, I know, a Rose? Chinese
Or a Boardman? Chinese
Or, perhaps, you were thinking a Cervelo? Chinese
We can keep going if you want.

But these frames undergo a strict quality control of factories.

Frames sold by the Chinese do not.

2 clenched've seen that with the use and 1 broke riding almost happens a serious accident.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com