light weight wonders?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Memphis

by Memphis

Hello, I new to this site and was hoping for some help. Does anyone have a opinion about Ax lightness products?

Thanks in advance,

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrgray

by mrgray

wonderful stuff. i have a seat post of theirs; the Daedalus. It is a 31.6 mm and only around 270 mm long and weighs 104 g (which is very light). it is only supposed to be used by those weighing 85 kgs and less but i am 90 (and have been heavier) and it is fine.

only problem is the stuff is quite expensive.

what sort of thing were you considering; bike or a component?
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

jerk
in the industry

by jerk

mrgray wrote:wonderful stuff. i have a seat post of theirs; the Daedalus. It is a 31.6 mm and only around 270 mm long and weighs 104 g (which is very light). it is only supposed to be used by those weighing 85 kgs and less but i am 90 (and have been heavier) and it is fine.

only problem is the stuff is quite expensive.

what sort of thing were you considering; bike or a component?

it's "fine"? i don't think those weight limits are prescribed on a whim...you certainly don't want it to one day not be fine. lay off the plate or find another post bub! i'm sure you like your prostate and other naughty bits as much as we do! don't risk it please!
the jerk is always right!
the jerk thinks your stem is too short!

arthurf

by arthurf

I have an srt24 tubular wheel set and can only say positive things about them. They float uphilldue to the 200g weight, they look incredible on the bike and brake as well as my Zipps (in the dry, haven't tried them in the wet). I used them for a week of climbing in Tenerife and they were an absolute joy to ride.

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

Their stuff is definitely very nice, and has a price tag to match. The bikes and parts are all handmade in Germany and tend to be well finished. Seems they're trying to appeal to a larger market nowadays and making products with higher rider weight limits, less flexy, more reliable etc.

I've only dealt with them directly twice, last time better than this time, Axel responded personally on that occasion (about same time last year). This time, I emailed him again, but he didn't reply, so I emailed their main enquiry email address after waiting a couple of weeks. I've got a bar on order, which I've paid for after getting invoiced (although no acknowledgment of receipt of my 400euro payment). I get they're expanding somewhat and there's been some recent upheaval, but it was a little bit disappointing service-wise.

The most important thing will be the bar itself though...I look forward to it (hopefully) arriving in the next couple of weeks!

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

Quality is top notch on everything I have used from them. Brakes saddles seat post cages stem

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

There are several guys over here running Ax bikes. I would suggest you look at the threads or contact them over PM.
In short, i am satisfied with my Ax parts. I am not mainly talking of it's weight, i also look at what i find most relevant, the ride feel.
The best guy at Ax is Nils Wiedemann. He is skilled and helpful so if anything i would suggest you mail him.
The best guys i've talked in the business is Nils (Ax), Craig of EE cycleworks and Andy of Open Cycle.
All very nice and helpful.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

Ok, received the handlebar today which was a very pleasant surprise. Quality is very nice indeed. I guess once you're on their radar all's good :beerchug:

themikoyan

by themikoyan

I've got some questions about AX-Lightness and I figured it'd be appropriate to post here instead of creating a new thread.

My LBS is a purveyor of AX Lightness wheels and has pretty much sold me on getting some 55 Tubulars (Zipp's Toroidal profile, low weight, dream-like ride quality, German-level engineering, what's not to like?). But because of the lack of reviews or any user accounts of the wheels I'm still a little bit skeptical...

From what my LBS told me, the pros of these wheels are:

• Easy maintenance/serviceability (every part is replacable; hubs, spokes, you name it)
• Using Zipp's patented profile so the aerodynamics are proven
• Waaaaaaayyyy lighter than Zipp's 202 wheelset (and twice the depth!)
• Ride quality is so damn good that he's had customers switch from Lightweights to AX Lightness wheels!

I mean, I realize it may be too good to be true, but I really wanna know for sure. I'm just wondering if there's anyone here that's got experience on riding their 55T wheels?

It's gonna be my first set of carbon wheels and I figured if I'm gonna shell out that kind of money I might as well get something that is REALLY good.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

zev

by zev

Good to read, looking to pick up some toys in the next week or so.