Campag Bora clinchers on a Colnago C60 - tyre size/clearance

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

DrJeffers

by DrJeffers

hi Good People,

I'm keen to buy some shiny new Bora One 50 clinchers for my C60 - currently wearing Shamal Mille. Brake calipers (and rest of groupo) are Campag Record (2015). I've seen a few posts about tyre clearance issues in the past - as much with the Campag brakes as with the Colnago frame, and this has held me back from making the purchase so far, although its not been clear if there are likely to be issues with own preferred gear combination. Given it's potentially costly, time-consuming and frustrating to have to go through loads of tyres trying to find a combination that works, I'm wondering if anyone is in a position to give me a definitive steer on the following questions:

1. Do i NEED 25mm tyres with the wider (24mm) bora clincher rims, or can i use 23mm without concerns?

2. Will i have sufficient frame clearance with obvious 25mm tyre choices? My go-to tyre of choice is Conti GP4000s.

I'm willing to look at other tyres if necessary, but puncture resistance and reliable wet grip are the big draws with the Contis- i have NEVER punctured one in many thousands of miles of cycling in all conditions, but had punctured within 200 miles of putting Vittoria Corsa CXs on as a trial, which was not confidence inspiring, and neither was their wet grip (awful!). So I'm loathe to change if i can get Contis on over Boras. If that means sticking to 23mm tyres on the wider rim (and if that's not a silly thing to try) i'll happily do it, although 25mm would be nice - i use 25mm on my other two bikes, but currently have 23mm on the C60's Shamals.

Any advice much appreciated based on others' experiences. I see an awful lot of photos of Campy-equipped C60s wearing the new, wider Boras, and i can't imagine these are all tubular versions, so someone must have some insight! :?: - thanks! DrJ

ps. have considered long whether i could make the change to tubulars, which i understand are less problematic with tyre clearance, but have reluctantly decided they are probably not for me at this time, after carefully weighing the pros and cons. I'm not a club rider and do the vast majority of my miles alone (and quite often late at night!), or in events, and neither scenario is attractive in the event of getting a flat tub on the road.

DrJeffers

by DrJeffers

And just cos she's pretty, here's the beast in question. Some dark label Boras are just what she needs for L'Etape or La Marmotte this year... :wink:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/795 ... AG2192.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/795 ... AG2178.jpg
Last edited by Frankie - B on Mon May 30, 2016 12:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: img tags deleted. piccie to biggie.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nga

by nga

I've posted a reply in another thread regarding C60 tyre clearance that might be of interest to you: http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127564&start=60#p1194806. There are also other comments.

I've used Vittoria Open Corsa SC's in 25mm size using DA9000 C24 clinchers with no problem. The clearance between the seatstay joint part and the tire is almost a problem but not quite. There is like 1 mm of clearance. I've heard that Continental tires are larger than many other brands so beware that you might encounter problems there.

You didn't ask but I'll still answer that I personally won't ever use 25mm tubulars with my C60 because of the lack of clearance between rear tire and the frame. Sometimes tubulars seem to require more clearance than clinchers. Maybe it's the amount of glue or something else; doesn't matter in the end.

geca

by geca

I have this combo on my C60.
To answer your questions
1) You can use 23 mm clincher on these wheels which i do on my frontwhell.
2) There will be enough cleareance to use 25 mm both front and rear.

I am using Conti 4000 GPIIS on my front and Conti Force 24 mm on my rear. :beerchug:

corky

by corky

DrJeffers wrote:hi Good People,

I'm keen to buy some shiny new Bora One 50 clinchers for my C60 - currently wearing Shamal Mille. Brake calipers (and rest of groupo) are Campag Record (2015). I've seen a few posts about tyre clearance issues in the past - as much with the Campag brakes as with the Colnago frame, and this has held me back from making the purchase so far, although its not been clear if there are likely to be issues with own preferred gear combination. Given it's potentially costly, time-consuming and frustrating to have to go through loads of tyres trying to find a combination that works, I'm wondering if anyone is in a position to give me a definitive steer on the following questions:

1. Do i NEED 25mm tyres with the wider (24mm) bora clincher rims, or can i use 23mm without concerns?

2. Will i have sufficient frame clearance with obvious 25mm tyre choices? My go-to tyre of choice is Conti GP4000s.

I'm willing to look at other tyres if necessary, but puncture resistance and reliable wet grip are the big draws with the Contis- i have NEVER punctured one in many thousands of miles of cycling in all conditions, but had punctured within 200 miles of putting Vittoria Corsa CXs on as a trial, which was not confidence inspiring, and neither was their wet grip (awful!). So I'm loathe to change if i can get Contis on over Boras. If that means sticking to 23mm tyres on the wider rim (and if that's not a silly thing to try) i'll happily do it, although 25mm would be nice - i use 25mm on my other two bikes, but currently have 23mm on the C60's Shamals.

Any advice much appreciated based on others' experiences. I see an awful lot of photos of Campy-equipped C60s wearing the new, wider Boras, and i can't imagine these are all tubular versions, so someone must have some insight! :?: - thanks! DrJ

ps. have considered long whether i could make the change to tubulars, which i understand are less problematic with tyre clearance, but have reluctantly decided they are probably not for me at this time, after carefully weighing the pros and cons. I'm not a club rider and do the vast majority of my miles alone (and quite often late at night!), or in events, and neither scenario is attractive in the event of getting a flat tub on the road.

Re PS...... Tubulars are easier to change than clinchers in the event of a flat...... You just pull off the flat tire and put on a spare, inflate and Bob's yer aunty's live in lover.......just sayin'

DrJeffers

by DrJeffers

Thanks all for the very helpful replies - much appreciated. Looks like i should be okay then. :)

I hear ya Corky regarding the tubulars. I am just wary that I don't know what I'm doing with tubs and don't have local expertise that i trust to put me on the right path. Clinchers seem the route of least resistance at the moment!

Cheers, J

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

No problems with 23mm Veloflex Corsas on my Bora Ultra 50s and that was with a C59.

cmcdonnell

by cmcdonnell

My Bora Clinchers marry perfectly with a 23mm Conti GP 4000. I tried a set of slightly worn 25mm Conti GP4000 SII's (90 PSI) and they came in at 26.7 on the 17C Bora's and looked noticeably wider than the rim, huge to my eyes, but more importantly would not clear my brakes (Super Record 2015 calipers) so that ruled them out. Put on a new set 23mm Conti GP4000 SII's (95 PSI) and they measured 24.8 and looked right as barely any wider than the rim and cleared by brakes by 3-4 mm. Very happy with the ride of the 23mm's and I'd say they feel as comfortable, in fact more comfortable, as the 25mm i'd been running on my 15C Shamals as they come up a similar width (the 25mm Conti GP4000 SII's at 90 PSI come in at 25.2 on the Shamal rims).

So overall for me the 25mm's were too wide and even if I could fit them the 23mm's are plenty comfortable enough as more aero so pretty much perfect on the Boras.
Bianchi Oltre XR2 + Campagnolo Super Record 11 + Campagnolo Bora 50C
Litespeed T1 + Campagnolo Chorus 11 + Campagnolo Shamal Ultra

markyboy

by markyboy

I use 23 mm tubs on my c60 no problems,i find the 25mm a little to close for comfort.
Colnago arabesque campagnolo super record 12
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

fogman

by fogman

According to the ETRTO chart, the smallest tire recommended on the Bora clincher (17c) would be a 25mm tire. I guess many people are using 23mm tires safely on the Boras though.
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

zirinpio97

by zirinpio97

I have this config. : C60 disk Veloflex 25 Arenberg no problem ; Schwalbe Pro One tubeless 25 ( 26 mm on rims ) no clearance problem .

DrJeffers

by DrJeffers

Thanks again all.

cmcdonnell - particularly helpful insight regarding my own situation, thanks!

Fogman - it was the ETRTRO chart that made me nervous, but even the manufacturers don't seem to abide by it in their recommendations, and Contis seem to run a bit large, so i find it hard to judge how much of a risk it is, if any in real terms. Relieved to hear that others are running 23s without issues!

sharkman

by sharkman

23c won't be a problem but keep in mind that on bad road you might damage the carbon rimedges sooner than with a 25c. It's just like a car tyre with rim protector, the tyres will protect the rim.

hekkie

by hekkie

It's not recommended to use 23mm on new Bora's. The rim itself is 23mm, therefore you must use a 25mm tire to prevent that the tire comes of from the rim.
I have the same set up, a Colnago C60 2015 with Campagnolo Super Record and Fulcrum Racing Zero Competition Limited Edition. With tose wheels there's no problem. But last month I bought a Bora clincher set and now I have zero clearance between the front tire and the front brake (left brakeshoe lever).
But here it comes. Michelin Pro tires have a higher profile then Schwalbe One tires. Second, The Campagnolo Dual pivot brakeset have the brakshoe with alu spacer mounted on top of the brakelever. Because the rim is wider the brakeshoe also must be adjusted in an wider position. By adjusting the brakeshoe, the brakelever comes down towards the tire. It actualy makes contact with the tire.
The Campagnolo single pivot brakeset have the brakeshoe with alu spacer mounted in a recessed position. With the brakeshoe in the same position the brakelever comes up a little bit. It will give you just enough clearance.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kojie

by Kojie

I have a c60 wit SR and Chorus brakes. Wheels are 2016 Bora one dark label with 25mm GP4000 S2 still has a few mm clearance on the seat stay and chain stay.