Finishing Kit, Supersix 2015 Team.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MisterMuncher

by MisterMuncher

Cutting a long story short, I've decided that the KCNC bar and post I've transferred from my CAAD10 doesn't cut it on the SuperSix (2015 Black/white/green "Team" colours), and I've decided to get something a little more attractive.

I've been weighing up the options, and I've a budget of around £300.

Stipulations:

I can manage without a stem. I've a stripped Uno7 with Ti bolts that I'm quite happy with. I remain wholly unconvinced by carbon stems in concept and execution.
I'd prefer black kit, as silver or white aren't really in keeping with frame, group, saddle or wheels colour.
I'm flexible enough on seatpost setback.
Bars should be reasonably deep drop. Current setup is 85 reach/145 drop, which suits my flexibility ok. I'd take a shorter reach over a lesser drop if push came to shove.
Ergo or classic shaping preferred. Ambivalent on flat tops and aero features.
Minimal logos, or at least "stealthy" ones.
Post below 160g. Bars below 230. Because it's not really an upgrade if it's heavier.

Current thoughts:
3T Quite expensive for the weight range I'd like, bars in particular. Extra hardware for carbon railed saddles is a bit silly.
Deda: As above. It's lovely looking gear, though. A bit cautious that my scales aren't magic Deda scales powered by moon gravity. Don't know what to make of the "35" rnage.
Fizik. R1 Cyrano with Snake bars looks like it ticks my boxes up and down.
Enve: way, way above budget.
Tune: Above budget, again. BArs would be Wiggle's "Black Series".
FSA: SL-K looks cheap and a little tacky. K-Force very expensive to look not much less cheap

Is there something out there more suited than the Fizik that I'm missing?

Sleepless

by Sleepless

For these weights and looks there's also Ritchey.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Galatzo

by Galatzo

Zipp do beyond black ?

MisterMuncher

by MisterMuncher

I've always liked Ritchey kit, but I'm not massively keen on their higher end bars at the minute. All a little shallow for my taste.

Zipps are similarly nice, but I've always felt might go better with the wheels to match. A bit shallow on the drop, too.

I ordered a set of Fizik to look at more closely (my LBS isn't great. I miss the days when I was twenty flat miles from Chain Reaction Cycles main warehouse!), and put on the scales. If it's not meeting my needs, it can get sent back.

cdtf

by cdtf

My Fizik 00 Bull are 183g. Claimed weight was 175.

Seatpost is a bit porky tho, at 178.

MisterMuncher

by MisterMuncher

Good to know. In theory, my post should be a good weight, being the shortest and thinnest they do. We'll see.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MisterMuncher

by MisterMuncher

Well, it's arrived.

It's packaged, built and finished beautifully. Really classy looking.

Internals are a little rough. Not awful, but I've certainly seen better. Bars are a great shape, short and deep. 210g for a 42 Snake, which is kind of what I expected. Seatpost is, and there's no way round it, a bit of a lump at nearly 220g. Cradle/clamp system is nice and solid, easy to set up, certainly less fiddly than more minimal solutions.

I've a few Ti bolts and such lying in the parts bin, and a little carbon cradle that might fit. A little tuning might make the weight more acceptable. The real excess weight is all in the head, so it's a matter of keeping the functionality whilst trimming weight.