What brakes with SRAM Red (10 speed) levers?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BlueNGT

by BlueNGT

Having just sold my old Giant TCR and replaced it with a used Specialized Tarmac (American Flyer version), it is fitted with SRAM Red from about 2012 so is 10 speed. I want to change the brakes to dual pivot and ideally wanted to be able to put 105 5800 brakes on it as they appear great value for money but what I am being told is they are not compatible due to pull ratio's of the new Shimano equipment. Currently has some old FSA brakes fitted.

The way I see it is I try and find a relatively cheap, and acceptable performing dual pivot or swap the whole Groupset out for a new 105 or Ultegra Groupset and sell the Red on aBay.

Has anybody come across anything like this before and come up wit a cost effective solution?

Thanks in advance.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

You can use 5800 brakes with old SRAM levers. Works fine. I would upgrade to SRAM Red brakes if you are not happy with the FSA's. Even the earliest versions (which should be available a low cost) are more then adequate for nearly all applications. I am heavy 180 lb and live in a hilly area and I am maniac obsessive about braking performance. I have Red brakes on my best bike and I would rate them as very good. If you have a need for extreme braking performance than I agree that a Shimano option will improve stopping power. My travel bike which sees a lot of extreme descending is SRAM Red (ca 2012) and had Ultegra 6700 calipers for this very reason. I recently switched to 6800 calipers and they also worked well although I cannot definitely compare them to the 6700 yet as they have only been lightly tested and the pads are not fully bedded in. 5700 or 5800 calipers should perform similarly.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BlueNGT

by BlueNGT

Mr.Gib wrote:Not sure what your motivation for the change is.

If the Red Group is performing well why change? Going to 105 5800 is a downgrade (at least in terms of weight) even if you must have 11 speed. I wouldn't make that change - I have both groups on various bikes.

As for the brakes you can use 5800 brakes with old SRAM levers. Works fine. But again why the need for a change? SRAM Red brakes, even the earliest version are more then adequate for nearly all applications. I am heavy 180 lb and live in a hilly area and I am maniac obsessive about braking performance. I have Red brakes on my best bike and I would rate them as very good. If you have a need for extreme braking performance than I agree that a Shimano option will improve stopping power. My travel bike which sees a lot of extreme descending is SRAM Red (ca 2012) and had Ultegra 6700 calipers for this very reason. I recently switched to 6800 calipers and they also worked well although I cannot definitely compare them to the 6700 yet as they have only been lightly tested and the pads are not fully bedded in.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately the SRAM Red is limited to front and rear derailleurs plus levers (and chain-rings)....the brake calipers are some nondescript FSA single pivot caliper. This is the reason for the switch, everything else I am happy with, just I am used to EE brakes on my other bike so find these poor.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I am using Shimano 105 brakes with Campy Super Record levers on one bike and they work fine, very well in fact. So if the 105 brakes will work with the SRAM levers as is suggested above I'd go that route. I'd take Shimano 5800 105 calipers over SRAMS current best Red calipers any day.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

BlueNGT

by BlueNGT

I contacted Merlin Cycles and Ribble Cycles and they both said 5800 won't work with the SRAM levers due to different pull ratio.

Maybe 5700 or Uktegra 6700 work?

I just want to sure if possible. I have only ever had Shimano before so no experience at all of SRAM or mixing components etc.

Cleaner

by Cleaner

First generation SRAM RED brakes are quiet good and will work with your levers. The second gen SRAM RED brakes are lighter and are also good brakes but they are more finicky to set up and keep centered. I still ride both and have not had any issues with the calipers of either vintage.

antprok

by antprok

Change Sram red for Shimano 5800? Is this a joke?

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Blue NGT - you quoted me while I was editing my post. Sorry 'bout that.

5800 calipers will work with any Red levers. What I cannot definitively tell you is if 5700 (or 6700) would be better. In a couple of months I will have that answer. I would still find some used first generation Red calipers to complete the groupset.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

permaz

by permaz

I had no problem with sram lever - shimano brakes and FD or shimano lever - sram brakes and FD. only RD should be the same with lever.

Birdman

by Birdman

+1 on this. I have the same set up now too (SuperRecord lever 6800 brakes). I used to have Rival 10 speed lever with Ultegra 6700 brakes, great stopping power.

You can get high leverage ratio with Campy 11 or Sram 10 levers pair with the current generation Shimano brakes, love those combos.

Calnago wrote:I am using Shimano 105 brakes with Campy Super Record levers on one bike and they work fine, very well in fact. So if the 105 brakes will work with the SRAM levers as is suggested above I'd go that route. I'd take Shimano 5800 105 calipers over SRAMS current best Red calipers any day.
Cervelo R3 MUD ~ viewtopic.php?f=10&t=136544
Specialized Allez Gold ~ viewtopic.php?f=10&t=134419

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BlueNGT

by BlueNGT

Thanks for the replies guys. Have tracked down a nice pair of the Dark Grey 6700 calipers that will do the job by the sounds of it.

Great price and comes with new pads which I will sell on as I have pads already :)