Best bike case. interested in comparisons between the two

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

To those that have experience with these products. Any recccomendations as to which is better?

Scicon Aerotech vs Thule transition round trip?

Factors I'm looking at are ease of lugging through airport , train and metro and ease of packing.

Thanks.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

duvivr6

by duvivr6

Since you mentioned Scicon, did you look at the Aerocomfort bag?
Its looks to be pretty damn nice take off wheels and strap down.

I have the normal Traigular type giant plastic bike box and while bikes have traveled fine, you have to take it all apart.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rmerka

by rmerka

I've got and used an Aerotech and Biknd Jetpack. I like the Jetpack better but both are nice and the Scicon protects the bike very nice but it's heavy.

tomtom

by tomtom

Biknd Helium! Very satisfied :D
Canyon Aeroad CFR
Canyon Grail CF

topflightpro

by topflightpro

A friend of mine loves the transition because of the repair stand in the base of the case.

lannes

by lannes

tomtom wrote:Biknd Helium! Very satisfied :D

+1 Biknd Helium is by far the best of the soft cases, allows you carry 4 wheels and the air bags offer superior crush protection. It's more compact form factor and the lower shape easier to manoeuvre around a busy airport.

I can fit reassembly tools, pumps, helmet and shoes in the bag with no problems, there is a lot of room.
40 airline trips so far without a single problem. 9.5kg empty weight by itself helps with the baggage allowance.

http://biknd.com/en/products/bike-travel-case/helium
Last edited by lannes on Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DrJeffers

by DrJeffers

I can highly recommend the Velovault, if you are in the right part of the world (UK/europe). I flew my precious C60 to La Palma in it last October, with zero issues. The inter-locking anti-crush pole is a major plus, and crammed all sorts of other stuff in there whilst keeping it under the 23kg limit.

tinozee

by tinozee

Those both look quite good. I use a bikeboxalan, it's awesome.

The helium one that allows 2 sets of wheels, that is cool. Wheel trouble abroad can be a real pita.
Last edited by tinozee on Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

permaz

by permaz

Scicon has a good reputation. I would get Scicon.

arthurf

by arthurf

topflightpro wrote:A friend of mine loves the transition because of the repair stand in the base of the case.

This. The workstand alone is brilliant and makes assembling the bike at the other end much easier. When we have been away, they inevitably end up using my work stand to assemble their bikes! My friends all have the Bikebox Alan but they are both selling them to get the Thule having seen mine. It takes approximately 50-75% less time to pack and then reassemble the bike out of the transition than a Bikebox Alan plus there is more room around the derailleurs and other fragile parts that could easily be damaged in transit. There is plenty of room to get two sets of wheels inside the box and loads of clothes, shoes, helmet etc.

My only gripe with the Thule is that the pull handles are positioned very low on the case and there isn't much space for your fingers between the handle and the case. Also, four wheels would be good so that you can drag the case using a leash rather then just the two wheels which means you have to lift and wheel it each time. These are minor operational grumbles but I would buy the Thule again without any hesitation.

I haven't used a Scicon so cannot comment on how the two compare but I have no hesitation in recommending the Thule.

lannes

by lannes

How do you find the 35lb (16kg) empty weight of the Thule Hardcase, is that restrictive ?
How do you get around airline weight restrictions when you have the bike and wheels and other items in the box?
Does the size make it difficult to fit into a normal car e.g taxi

Can you confirm the ability to fit 2 wheelset in the hardcase, this review implies it can't fit 4 wheels, which I need as minimum

http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/08/ ... ses_300895

1415chris

by 1415chris

With some airlines' weight restriction of 23kg, Thule hard case with its 17kg becomes useless.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

Thanks Everyone. I feel there's no best answer here. Yes the Thule weight seemed excessive. I went with the scicon. I was surprised to learn how many fans there were of Bike Box Alan. The lack of a U.S. site or seller ultimately discouraged me. The Scicon seemed over-priced but a well thought out product that everyone said was easy to use.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

ARCANAAA

by ARCANAAA

Which of these boxes also fit a 29" mtb? Ive been trying to find a god hardcase for mtb but most of the times cnat find enough information if it would fit..

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9300 met Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sawyer

by sawyer

I used to have hard cases, but transport alone makes a hard case not worth it IMO. Storage is also a PITA for me.

A soft case, with the correct use of padding actually holds more, provides adequate protection, and is much more easily transportable (I can get a fully packed on in the boot of my car, seats up) ... and easier to store
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup: