U shape/toroid profile aluminium

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

I'm looking at 4 set of wide, somewhat aero to handle crosswinds better than my 27mm deep V shape wheels. I weight 165lbs/75kg and prefer to overbuild (e.g. Front 24 radial / Rear 28 3x lacing). I keep coming back to FLO 30 due width, shape and 28h 3x lacing but difficulty to mounting tire is a con, especially during rainy and cold winter training rides. Next runner up DT Swiss R460 rim.

$645 DT Swiss R460 24h/28h with WI T11 hubs (~1580 grams, easy to mount tire, U shape/toroid profile) http://www.novemberbicycles.com/alloynimbus
$500 Kinlin XR31t 20h/24h with Aivee SR5 hubs (~1500 grams, easy to mount tire, somewhat U shape/toroid profile) http://www.fairwheelbikes.com/xr-31t-aivee-wheelset
$780 H Plus Son Archetype 24h/28h with WI T11 hubs (easy to mount tire, 3x lacing, far from aero due to V shape) http://www.prowheelbuilder.com
$550 FLO 30 20h/28h with loud Vortex hubs (~1625 grams, difficult to mount tire, 3x lacing, more aero) http://www.flocycling.com/wheels_front_flo_30.php

Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MNX1024

by MNX1024

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Yes, I have been eyeing SL23 V2 for quite some time. Its off my list for being thin and PITA to mount tire on it. Screenshot below. Many reported cracks.

Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

rmerka

by rmerka

I only have experience with the DT 460 rim. It's a really big value for price kind of rim. Quality is top notch. Can go tubeless with it is a bonus. I'd say it's average as far as tire mounting ease goes. Not too hard but not the easiest either. I enjoyed using them quite a bit until I trashed my front rim in a spill. Just haven't got around to replacing it yet. Great rim for training rides. And if I had to choose between the SL23 Pacenti (have a set of the V1 rims) and the DT R460 it would be the DT. Slightly better quality and less than half the price.

mythical

by mythical

Or the 460g Aileron rim from Velocity. It's sleeve-jointed but not welded though.
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

RimClencher

by RimClencher

The Aileron is a disc brake rim. The Quill fits the bill.
http://www.velocityusa.com/product/rims/quill-622
Haven't read anything about ease of tyre fitting though.

mythical

by mythical

Anyway, I have Pacenti SL23s in 20/24H and that's the rim I would recommend.
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

RimClencher wrote:The Aileron is a disc brake rim. The Quill fits the bill.
http://www.velocityusa.com/product/rims/quill-622
Haven't read anything about ease of tyre fitting though.

These Quill do look interesting with internal width 21 mm!
$630 for wide and U shape/toroid profile, 1600 grams. Rim is really light ~415 grams, sidewalls look pretty thin like on Pacenti SL23. I'm somewhat concerned as other rims 470+ grams.
In-house hubs must be heavy ~100 grams weight penalty on these. 24h/28h Pacenti SL23 (~425 grams) with WI T11 hubs ~1500 grams.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

[quote="mpulsiv"]Yes, I have been eyeing SL23 V2 for quite some time. Its off my list for being thin and PITA to mount tire on it. Screenshot below. Many reported cracks.

You are both out of date WRT v2 tire mounting and grossly exaggerating a rarely reported problem with v1 cracking that occurred with some big guys on 24 spoke rims.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

pavel

by pavel

those flo rims are super heavy.

FLO 30 Rim Rim
Weight* 570g
Rim 700c Aluminum Clincher
Brake Track Width Angled (24.0-25.82mm)
Depth 30mm
Max Rim Width 25.96mm
Drilling Options 20, 24, 28 and 32 hole.
* Wheel weights are subject to a +/- 5% variance.

Krackor

by Krackor

How about the Hed Belgium Plus?

I have a set of the Flo 30s. They have been a great training wheelset. I haven't noticed any particular difficulty mounting tires. They're reasonably fast wheels for an aluminum rim, crosswinds are utterly unnoticeable.

I'm building up a new set of training wheels and I picked the Hed Belgium Plus. I've received rims but not hubs yet, so I can't offer ride impressions. The rim itself seems nice. The central point of the profile is quite a bit sharper than the Flo 30, but the transition from brake track to the rest of the rim is smooth with no ridge.

Marin

by Marin

* You really have issues with a 27mm rim in crosswinds?

* Every rim that has noticeable aero properties will be carbon, or incredibly heavy, see Flo. No way would I get a 30mm "aero" alu rims when I can have 38mm carbon rims that weigh 280g less per pair.

duvivr6

by duvivr6

100% of what @Marin said

If you are having issues with 27mm wheels on cross wind there is other stuff you need to work on before changing rims.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

I didn't mention that I'm on standard 13 mm inner and 19mm outer rim wrapped in Conti 25mm tire. Talk about bulb shape...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com