Road/Light Gravel allround tire

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Miller

by Miller

I've just started trying a pair of Schwalbe G-One 35mm tubeless. For a gravel tyre they roll really well on tarmac, they give away very little to a pure road tyre, I am impressed. Tubeless-wise they mounted pretty easily, no especial problem there.

Since a gravel tyre has a range of technical requirements placed on it, eg low rolling resistance, high puncture resistance, grip over a range of conditions, etc etc, I would question whether an aesthetic choice like 'must have tan sidewalls' is wise in this context.

spookyload

by spookyload

I ride two tires on different wheels. Specialized Roubaix Pro 30/32 is damn fast. I also ride a Schwalbe Sam 35mm Slick if there is going to be more gravel or dirt.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Fisherfreerider

by Fisherfreerider

I have 2 sets of Schwalbe S-One tires. I am extremely impressed by them. They are fast, grippy, and handle gravel well.

jeanjacques

by jeanjacques

How about the Schwalbe Kojak ? Listed at 330g for 700x35c (350-360g real), puncture protection and seem to have low rolling resistance and good durability.

bluesky6

by bluesky6

+1 for Panaracer Gravel King

I've the 26 on RR440 rims on my general purpose bike. Will upgrade to 28 in the summer when I finish building a wheelset with wider rims.

shlammed

by shlammed

could try continental cyclocross speeds.

measure 32c on 15mm inner rim.

F45

by F45

Those Contis look good.

My problem with the Strada Bianca is in any loose gravel it SUCKS. Gotta have some side knobs for control. I ride the Parigi Roubaix on chip seal but for gravel I use the Ritchey Speedmax 700x35 (actual), 700x40 advertised. The center has good durability on asphalt. And they're cheap.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Rode my new bike first time today. First thing that hit me is that i feel they require more effort than typical road race (bike) tires.
But when i hit the gravel, shieet!
This was traction in spades and speed. I run Schwalbe G-One tubeless (35mm) on a set of No tubes Avion Pro (38mm on my wheels).
I must admit, this thing was crazy fun! Comfort was also fantastic. I must say i am impressed.
But for tires that is both fast on tarmac and handles gravel, puh, that must be tougher.
I also have Schwalbe S-One (30mm) which i will try later on.

I might be wrong here, but knobby tires seems to be less than ideal for tarmac.
How's less knobby tires riding gravel? Seems a very mild thread can equal really lousy grip and traction...!?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

shlammed

by shlammed

wheelsONfire wrote:Rode my new bike first time today. First thing that hit me is that i feel they require more effort than typical road race (bike) tires.
But when i hit the gravel, shieet!
This was traction in spades and speed. I run Schwalbe G-One tubeless (35mm) on a set of No tubes Avion Pro (38mm on my wheels).
I must admit, this thing was crazy fun! Comfort was also fantastic. I must say i am impressed.
But for tires that is both fast on tarmac and handles gravel, puh, that must be tougher.
I also have Schwalbe S-One (30mm) which i will try later on.

I might be wrong here, but knobby tires seems to be less than ideal for tarmac.
How's less knobby tires riding gravel? Seems a very mild thread can equal really lousy grip and traction...!?

I find that width has more to do with how it handles hardpack than tread profile. once the going gets slippery (mud or wet rock) treads will allow the tire to compress a bit and grip where a slick will slide.

There just aren't many slicks in large sizes right now.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Panaracer Pasela 38mm tires might be a good choice. I ordered a set and will report my impressions. For mixed road/gravel I prefer a wide slick to anything with tread.

jeanjacques

by jeanjacques

shlammed wrote:could try continental cyclocross speeds.

Some review here: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/fr/f … -prod39398
"Worst tyre I've ever used for puncture protection"
"Wear fast and puncture often"
"Didn't live up to reputation"
"A grippy tyre, but prone to warm weather punctures"
"complete lack of puncture protection"
"five punctures in a month topped today with double punctures! By far the worst tyres i have ever owned. Very disappointed."
"they are useless in mud and have very little resistance to puncture."

But the patern seem good for a mix gravel / paved road. A similar one is the Mavic Yksion Allroad (tubeless, 30c): http://www.mavic.fr/pneus-route-yksion-elite-allroad

If rolling resistance on paved road matter, there is the Vittoria Voyager Hyper (32, 35, 38): https://www.vittoria.com/tire/voyager-hyper/
A rolling resistance test: http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com ... hyper-2016

shlammed wrote:There just aren't many slicks in large sizes right now.

Schwalbe Kojak: 35c slick: http://www.schwalbe.com/fr/tour-reader/kojak.html

shlammed

by shlammed

jeanjacques wrote:
shlammed wrote:could try continental cyclocross speeds.

Some review here:
But the patern seem good for a mix gravel / paved road.

Ive been riding them on sharp crushed limestone, albeit not very long to give a long term review but I haven't had an issue yet. they come in at the rated weight but -along the same lines of other continental tires- they do run a bit more narrow than the rating as I mentioned. In my case that was fine because im maxing out my fenders.

Im using them for commuting, which is where I have been most likely to get a flat-fwiw.