Specialized Allez Race crank installation.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Sambo1967

by Sambo1967

I just purchased a used Allez race frame and starting a build. First time build for me have always just bought a bike from LBS. I'm installing a FSA SL-K crankset. Frame came with out BB installed but came with 2 cups and 2 bearings. The crank set came with BB bearings that are to small for the frame and the bearings that came with frame seem to small for crank spindle would have to really force them on. The cups that came with the frame don't seem to be of any use for this crankset. Maybe I'm missing some type of cup to fit the FSA bearings to frame? I would really appreciate any help.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Birdman

by Birdman

Allez Race has BB30 interface. Not sure what you mean by "2 cups" that came with the frame. I installed my BB with only the snap rings and bare bearing pressed directly into the frame. The PF30/BB30 kit that I bought came with plastic cups for PF30 frames, which does not apply to Allez Race.

What's the spec on your FSA SL-K?
If is BB30 then it should fit.
If is Mega Exo then you will need adapter to fit in the BB30 bearings.

A picture is worth a thousand words.
Cervelo R3 MUD ~ viewtopic.php?f=10&t=136544
Specialized Allez Gold ~ viewtopic.php?f=10&t=134419

antprok

by antprok

Perhaps its an older year model and the BB is bsa type for 24mm spindle cranks
If this is the case you cant install a crank with 30mm spindle (you actually can but it's not so easy or perfect option).
If your crank has a 30mm spindle try to get one with 24mm
If your crank is the "365" version then with the proper bottom bracket you can fit it in your frame

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

Sambo, post pics of all the various bits you already have.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

Sambo1967 wrote:I just purchased a used Allez race frame and starting a build. First time build for me have always just bought a bike from LBS. I'm installing a FSA SL-K crankset. Frame came with out BB installed but came with 2 cups and 2 bearings. The crank set came with BB bearings that are to small for the frame and the bearings that came with frame seem to small for crank spindle would have to really force them on. The cups that came with the frame don't seem to be of any use for this crankset. Maybe I'm missing some type of cup to fit the FSA bearings to frame? I would really appreciate any help.

I'm guessing the bearings that came with the frame are the ones that were pressed into the frame and the cups are the adapters that you'd use if you wanted to run Shimano cranks with those bearings.

I'm guessing that the person you bought the frame from, pulled the stock bearings out and ran a Praxis adapter or something like that.

Its hard to say without seeing pics of any of it though.