New (Spring 2016) NeilPryde BURAsl, Facebook teaser

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jrennie

by jrennie

glam2deaf wrote:Interesting the Neil Pryde wheelset. Carbon clincher at (quoted) 1390 grams.

I have a set of the clinchers, but I don't think they made it into the production stage. They are Reynolds attack hoops nearest I can tell. Actual weight was 1365.

Skunkworks

by Skunkworks

Is there any change about folk?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Birdman

by Birdman

More photos from NeilPryde

Cervelo R3 MUD ~ viewtopic.php?f=10&t=136544
Specialized Allez Gold ~ viewtopic.php?f=10&t=134419

Birdman

by Birdman

Frameset: $2,800 USD

Currently out of stock.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

It's a bit of a pity Bura SL is so expensive in EU. I checked Bura SL when i built a light weight bike. But even though many of the brands are built in Asia these days, they still cost to close to a Vial EVO D frameset.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

wheelsONfire wrote:It's a bit of a pity Bura SL is so expensive in EU. I checked Bura SL when i built a light weight bike. But even though many of the brands are built in Asia these days, they still cost to close to a Vial EVO D frameset.

I'll actually still choose Neilpryde over Ax Lightness in that case, friends says it rides great and in terms of company reputation I'll trust the former, but that's just me. Wonder what others think?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

Birdman wrote:
mythical wrote:Just use BB4130 bearings to use, say, a Clavicula SE or Rotor 3D+ crankset...

Cool info, never heard of BB4130. Thanks!

I used those skinny bearings (2 on each side) to put a lightning crank in a BB86 frame. They wear out sooooo quickly. Like, I've never killed another bottom bracket bearing in my life but I'd go through a couple sets of those a year. Unless you only want to use Dura-ace cranks BB86 seems like a big downgrade.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Just me or are others not thrilled with the cable entry top of down tube so close to the head tube? Makes aero sense of course, but I hate running cables in a big loop and back on the same side of the head tube. I get a much neater finish, using less cable, with less steering interference, and no cables rubbing the frame when I can cross them in front of the head tube and enter opposite side of the down tube. If those cable ports were an inch further back and angle outward slightly I could make it work, but not as is.

PF86 will accommodate SRAM. That's a good light crank. Sure some of the exotics are out but PF86 is as good as any of the many new standards. Been good on Giant, Scott and others.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Birdman

by Birdman

I agree that the cable entry is probably better if it moves towards the BB more, but wouldn't you still want to keep the entry inline with the cable exit at BB to minimize cable friction?

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Birdman wrote:wouldn't you still want to keep the entry inline with the cable exit at BB to minimize cable friction?

Yes good point, (Mr.Gib got it a bit wrong :oops: ) I guess what I really prefer is entry more on the side of the down tube. An aero no-no but short of a TT situation, the Bura SL arrangement isn't going to save anybody any time and will result in a sub optimal cable job. If we are talking electronic than the point is moot, (but I am sticking with mechanical as long as I can hold out).
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Birdman

by Birdman

I agree with Mr. Gib

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Kayrehn wrote:
wheelsONfire wrote:It's a bit of a pity Bura SL is so expensive in EU. I checked Bura SL when i built a light weight bike. But even though many of the brands are built in Asia these days, they still cost to close to a Vial EVO D frameset.

I'll actually still choose Neilpryde over Ax Lightness in that case, friends says it rides great and in terms of company reputation I'll trust the former, but that's just me. Wonder what others think?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I think many here have misinterpreted the state of Ax Lightness current status. I have spoken to Nils and a few dealers so i am set in this a bit.
Ax make a hell of a frame with Vial EVO D. There are deep pocket guys in Germany who owns both Vial EVO D and RCA.
More than a few prefer Vial EVO D but it is not something in the open.
Talking warranty of different brands and also Ax, i must say that warranty is probably ok for most brands.
But fact is that warranty matters are dealt with a bit differently and it comes down to how you handle it yourself in more than a few cases.
There is IMO no problem going with Ax Lightness. There are a few people in the business who seems to set aside making some comments
of Ax Lightness. For my own, it does not matter as i have checked things up.
Talking the frames, i would not go for a Bura SL over an Ax Lightness as Bura SL cost too much.
If Bura SL was hand-built bye them it would cost much much more.
Just imagine what any frame would cost sold by any company/ brand, but built by Ax Lightness
IMO, Bura SL should cost less than what it does for a frameset.

http://www.vandeyk.de/index.php/vdc.html

or Swift carbon Sculp.

But i am not here to boost Ax or talk about them. As they say, each to his own.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Birdman

by Birdman

Btw, no idea if the price I was told ($2,800 USD) will be the official MSRP.

mythical

by mythical

Lelandjt wrote:
Birdman wrote:
mythical wrote:Just use BB4130 bearings to use, say, a Clavicula SE or Rotor 3D+ crankset...

Cool info, never heard of BB4130. Thanks!

I used those skinny bearings (2 on each side) to put a lightning crank in a BB86 frame. They wear out sooooo quickly. Like, I've never killed another bottom bracket bearing in my life but I'd go through a couple sets of those a year. Unless you only want to use Dura-ace cranks BB86 seems like a big downgrade.
@Birdman: You're welcome. :thumbup:
@Lelandjt: Those were mere 6706 (37x30x4mm) bearings and not proper BB4130 ones with a similar load capacity to 6806 (42x30x7mm).
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Birdman

by Birdman

@wheelsONfire

How much was BURAsl in EU when you looked at it? Curious.