Back on the bike after 25 years, Baum or Passoni

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

liam7020

by liam7020

Apologies to the OP if this is a case of mistaken identity but get the Passoni - there's already one Baum in the team Route catchment!!
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eaglejackson

by eaglejackson

AJS914 wrote:Personally, I'd have trouble buying a very expensive custom bike that I'd never seen before nor ridden. I once bought what I thought was going to be my dream bike and it wasn't.

Totally agree. Custom works best when you know what you want fit wise.

fa63

by fa63

I am guessing you are in the UK. I suggest a trip to Italy to visit Darren Crisp to get fitted for a custom titanium frame. Then a return trip to pick it up in person, and ride around Italy for a week on your new bike :)

http://english.crisptitanium.com

Multebear

by Multebear

midelifec wrote:
Hi Everyone,

1. best Ti bike......

2. a comfortable bike........

3. and something that looks good.......

I have a budget of 15k GBP max....

Some crisis :lol:

Interesting projekt though, and with that budget, anything is possible.

1. Best in which way? If you're not going to do some racing (which you probably arent't since you want Ti), you're better of finding something that fits you perfectly. This will also help you with no 2.

2. I guess most Ti bikes are comfortable hence the material.

3. Looks good? Do you mean something that you think looks good? Or something we think looks good? I think both options look good. But if you look for something, that is more special than the other, I would choose Passoni. Besides that it's italian.

Since no 1. is the only real debatable option, you might elaborate on what you mean by best.

rpenmanparker

by rpenmanparker

AJS914 wrote:Personally, I'd have trouble buying a very expensive custom bike that I'd never seen before nor ridden. I once bought what I thought was going to be my dream bike and it wasn't.

Despite my complimentary comment about Baum I agree with you. For custom I think he is it. But I think you will get a better riding bike by test riding many different bikes and picking out the one that works for you than by trying to communicate to a builder what you think you want. Soooo many places for the custom process to go wrong. Unfortunately the test riding process is basically unrealistic for Ti and steel these days.
Robert

RussellS

by RussellS

Agree on the remarks about custom bikes. ONLY buy custom if you know EXACTLY what you want. Right down to the millimeter for tubing length and tenth of a degree for angles. Only people who have been riding for twenty years or more on a variety of bikes should buy custom. They might know what size bike they need. All others are just throwing a penny into the air and hoping it comes down on its edge. And people who are way outside the normal range of humans may need a custom too. People like Kareem Abdul Jabbar, the 7'2" basketball player, or Shawn Johnson, the 4'9" gymnast.

Multebear

by Multebear

RussellS wrote:
Agree on the remarks about custom bikes. ONLY buy custom if you know EXACTLY what you want. Right down to the millimeter for tubing length and tenth of a degree for angles. Only people who have been riding for twenty years or more on a variety of bikes should buy custom. They might know what size bike they need. All others are just throwing a penny into the air and hoping it comes down on its edge. And people who are way outside the normal range of humans may need a custom too. People like Kareem Abdul Jabbar, the 7'2" basketball player, or Shawn Johnson, the 4'9" gymnast.

+ 1

But if you have (or know of) a mass produced bike/frame, that fits you perfectly, you might just tell them to copy the dimensions... For me that's the Caad 10/Evo size 56.

RussellS

by RussellS

Multebear wrote:
RussellS wrote:

+ 1

But if you have (or know of) a mass produced bike/frame, that fits you perfectly, you might just tell them to copy the dimensions... For me that's the Caad 10/Evo size 56.

True. I have no need for a custom sized frame. But still want one! I would give them the dimensions for my Waterford 1200, or Litespeed Tuscany, or Cannondale CAAD9, and tell them to make the frame exactly like these. Exactly.

midelifec

by midelifec

liam7020 wrote:Apologies to the OP if this is a case of mistaken identity but get the Passoni - there's already one Baum in the team Route catchment!!

Hello Liam7020, I blame you and Mr B for getting me into the difficult situation with your stunning collection ok bikes. I know have a nice winter training bike that will help me decide on what direction to take.

The problem is I cant just go and test drive Ti Bikes from different manufactures. Tricky one and this was the main reasons reaching out to the forum, to gain some feedback from you experienced riders.

Buda

by Buda

Hi, I just recently bought the Passoni stainless steel.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=136183

The build quality is second to none. It's the Bentley of the bike world. Baum builds great bikes too but I prefer the look of the Passoni. I can't comment on ride quality of the others but my Passoni is the best riding and most comfortable bike I have been on.

Good luck on your decision.

midelifec

by midelifec

What a stunning bike. Just to let you know I have gone for a Baum and thank you all for your input.

Buda wrote:Hi, I just recently bought the Passoni stainless steel.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=136183

The build quality is second to none. It's the Bentley of the bike world. Baum builds great bikes too but I prefer the look of the Passoni. I can't comment on ride quality of the others but my Passoni is the best riding and most comfortable bike I have been on.

Good luck on your decision.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

I would go for lynskey. Top notch without huge pricetag.

BRM

by BRM

Last edited by BRM on Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eaglejackson

by eaglejackson

If you haven't been riding for 25 years, as the subject line says, I would assert that you don't really know what fits you anymore. What fit 25 years ago most likely does not today. My humble suggestion is to buy a modest off the rack bike, maybe a used one, ride it for a while, and make the necessary adjustments as your 25 year older body gets used to riding again. Only then will you know approximately the right dimensions and not potentially throw a lot of good money down the drain.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jmagoulas

by jmagoulas

Good choice although I don't think you could have gone wrong with either. Would have love to see a Passoni build as those are few and far between. But Baum is an excellent choice. Enjoy and will look forward to a build post.