Parlee Flex Fit

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Enda Marron

by Enda Marron

A quick question about Parlee Flex Fit.
Is it possible to alter the Stack and Reach of a ML frame from ML Short to ML Mid or ML Tall by changing the size of the Top Cap?
Thank you all in advance

AJS914

by AJS914

The top cap? A top cap doesn't affect stack/reach. If you have an ML, you can add spacers above the headset to essentially make it into an ML tall. (Assuming you have enough steerer tube left.)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RyanH

by RyanH

What you're describing is what the flex fit system does.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Enda Marron

by Enda Marron

RyanH thank you

Enda Marron

by Enda Marron

Once again, Thank you RyanH.
Parlee replied to an email query and yes it is possible to alter the stack and reach on the Altum (and other Parlee models ESX??) by changing or removing the special Top Cap.
Its quite a clever piece of engineering.
Clever people at Parlee :beerchug:

DrewBru

by DrewBru

I have a Parlee Altumr and I can confirm that the system works well. And overall its a beautiful design and a nice innovation. However, its important to determine the size top cap you need in advance. There was a mix up with my order (the local importers fault) and the frame came with the largest top cap. Its about 8 months on and I'm still waiting for the smallest top cap. Apparently, Parlee needed to make more of the small and has had delays. Parlee customer service has been very prompt and they sent a complementary cane creek top cap as an interim solution. But it looks hideous. So I am mostly on my wilier. Still I think when I eventually get the right top cap I will be happy.

bikedoc

by bikedoc

Argon do a similar thing, both seem pointless when adding spacers to any frame does the same thing.

kode54

by kode54

the Flexfit tries to keep it from looking hideous. what i have on my Altum is the medium one...which sits flush across the top tube hump. i don't have any spacers on that at all. the tallest one adds about 10mm more in height or close to it...for those that need a Tall version for more height on the head tube.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

rmerka

by rmerka

I wish they wouldn't call it a top cap, that term is typically reserved for the thingy on top of the stem. It's just a headset spacer albeit a spacer that matches the frames lines.

AJS914

by AJS914

I'm still not understanding exactly what the original poster was asking.

Is it possible to alter the Stack and Reach of a ML frame from ML Short to ML Mid or ML Tall by changing the size of the Top Cap?

Once you've cut the fork down, you really can't go up from a short to a tall unless you replace the fork.

wingguy

by wingguy

bikedoc wrote:Argon do a similar thing, both seem pointless when adding spacers to any frame does the same thing.

To be fair the Argon system raises the upper bearings and becomes a structural part of the frame, so you can theoretically maintain more front end stiffness while increasing bar height or raise the bars more than would be acceptable with conventional spacers only.

Not sure if the Parlee system works in a similar way or is simply a more cosmetic spacer.

kode54

by kode54

BTW, only works with the Parlee Altum or ESX framesets.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com