Internal cable routing safety concern? (bike specific)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CPongpanich

by CPongpanich

Recently I found a picture of a disc brake road/gravel bike from a very popular 'b-grade' brand in Asia called Java. It has a carbon fibre fork and internal cable routing for the front disc brake. However, it looks like some one just cut a hole in the fork and routed the cable through which, I think, looks very ridiculous and unfinished. I asked the original poster whether this comes as a default from the factory and make sure if he didn't do it himself. He confirmed that it comes straight out of the factory.

To me it looks like the structural rigidity of the carbon fibre and fork might be compromised. However, I'm not an expert or very knowledgable in this area. Please, note that I have no interest in buying this bike, just curious with the structural rigidity and safety issue relating to this.

What do you think?

This is the picture of the fork and where the cable is routed through.

This is the entire bike.

Thanks,
Chanon

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

Nice bike. I don't see why the routing should be more of a problem than on handlebars or frames.

CPongpanich

by CPongpanich

@Marin I think that the hole in the fork is not rounded properly, there are still a lot of variations on the edge of the hole. To me, it also seems like there is no extra layer of carbon added to the area around the hole to counter the missing material.

Chanon

Marin

by Marin

Yes, looks just like in my 2 bars with internal routing.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

Seven Cycles refuses to do internal cable routing or anodizing for that matte claiming it compromises frame integrity. That said virtually everyone else does it. Properly done I see no issue. Unless the former owner drilled his own holes you should be fine. It sounds like you think this was the case, so walk from the purchase.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

rpenmanparker

by rpenmanparker

Frame integrity is about design. Sure you could have a problem if you take a frame (or fork) that is designed to not be drilled, and then you drill it. But that is not tha case here, or so we are led to believe. If the drilling (or molding) of the hole were included in the finite element analysis-computer aided design of the fork, why shouldn't it be suitably durable?
Robert

Marin

by Marin

The problem with internal routing is that it's annoying and heavy, not that it's unsafe.

Do you think bottle bosses, drain holes or fender mounts are a structural problem?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CPongpanich

by CPongpanich

Thank you for all responses. rpenmanparker summed it up nicely about the frame integrity. I am in doubt because this brand is a b-grade, I believe, Chinese brand which led me into questioning if the fork has been properly designed and manufactured to accommodate that hole.

I have no interest in buying and do not have any relationship with this brand whatsoever, I was just curious about carbon bike design and manufacturing.

Cheers,
Chanon