Pinarello Dogma BB/ crank compatibility

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

snowdevlin

by snowdevlin

Hi there!
I'm buying a Dogma F8 (colour 677 -BoB) and am looking to move my virtually as new FSA K-Force Light BB386EVO crankset, which being black and grey would look perfect on the bike.

In order to do so, from what I've researched online I'd have to buy a ITA30 BB, such as ceramic speed sells, and then a FSA BB30/386 adaptor.

Can anyone confirm this would work, and better yet, would work perfectly as expected on such bike?

Many thanks for your help!

snowdevlin

by snowdevlin

Yep, I know it must be Italian, thus the ITA30 BB from ceramic speed, for Italian Threaded frames and bb30 cranks.
The question is would it work ok, flawlessly

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

The Italian threading has reduced the number of possibilities. FSA who developed the BB386 EVO std only offer an English threaded BB.

The Ceramic speed one you cite is correct for your frame and crank. No adapter needed. Crazy price though. Like 20X the price of FSA.

Ceramic Speed appear not to know the difference between BB30 and BB386 EVO, referring to all cranks with 30 mm spindles as "BB30". Their "ITA30" is an external bearing BB386 BB.

Perhaps someone will come up with an alternative.

edit.

Rotor make an Italian threaded version, also called "ITA30" http://rotorbike.com/media/files/2012/12/rotor_310662450.pdf

Also THM http://fairwheelbikes.com/thm-road-bottom-brackets/
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

snowdevlin

by snowdevlin

I can always buy the option from rotor like you mentioned, which should be the same as ceramic speed (except for the bearings).
Many thanks bikerjulio!
Great help!! :thumbup:

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

------

double post
Last edited by wheelsONfire on Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

As an owner of both Rotor and FSA, i would seriously use FSA K-force light BB 386 EVO, if it can be fitted.
It's an excellent crankset which shift very well and looks really good.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

I don't have a BB386 EVO crankset, but if I was starting from scratch I think that in combination with a threaded BB it's pretty much an ideal setup. I also think that Pinarello was a little obstinate in sticking to Italian threading which is virtually obsolete, and limits choices as in the OP's case here.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

snowdevlin

by snowdevlin

I already had the crank, so it would only be a matter of making sure it would work and not be an extra expense :-)
Thanks guys for your precious input!

snowdevlin

by snowdevlin

Now that's helpful...
Are you looking for the ww discount?
lol

nycebo

by nycebo

bikerjulio wrote:I also think that Pinarello was a little obstinate in sticking to Italian threading which is virtually obsolete, and limits choices as in the OP's case here.

Quoted from Pinarello on the Italian threaded BB: “By far the best solution to ensure rigidity, performance and reliability over time.”

Am I wrong or is it my recollection that the Italian threaded BB cups are larger than the English? Does that account for the "improved" rigidity? Or is it just that it's threaded?

For my part, compared to my pressfit Cervelo, I MUCH prefer the threaded BB on my F8, though it hasn't come loose on me...yet...fortunately! :unbelievable:

kkibbler

by kkibbler

For much less than the CeramicSpeed, you could buy 2x FSA MegaEVO ceramic BBs and simply use both NDS cups and bearings in your F8 (I think).

Stendhal

by Stendhal

Hi. After years of enjoying this site, I finally joined as a thanks for all the information.
I just bought a Dogma after years of thinking about it, and had a similar issue because I was considering using a crank from my older bikes. Also, I am working on upgrading another crank, so basically crank / bottom bracket compatibility is a subject in which I became interested.

What I found useful is a chart on the web site of cbear, the Belgian company that is a lower cost alternative to Ceramicspeed and an expert in this area. The chart maps BB types to crankset types. That's how I found what was possible, and needed, in building up the Dogma. (In my case, using a SRAM Red GXP on the Italian thread BB).

I will post the Dogma build when the frame arrives and is built up. Happy riding.
Cannondale Supersixevo 4 (7.05 kg)
Retired: Chapter2, Tarmac SWorks SL6, Orbea, Dogma F8\F10, LOW, Wilier, Ridley Noah, Cervelo R3\R5\S2\Aspero, Time Fluidity, Lapierre Pulsium, Cyfac, Felt, Klein, Cannondale pre-CAAD aluminum

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

As per the last post - CBear. And there is also Wheels Mfg.

engsohere

by engsohere

snowdevlin wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:57 am
Yep, I know it must be Italian, thus the ITA30 BB from ceramic speed, for Italian Threaded frames and bb30 cranks.
The question is would it work ok, flawlessly
Posted by snowdevlin in another thread "That's it! I own a F8 and went for Ceramic Speed ITA30 BB with an FSA K-Force Light crankset (386EVO) and the spindle lenght is on the limit, my mechanic struggled to make it fit, but it now works and spins smoothly and lovely like it should! BB30 as mentioned, wouldn't fit."

This is the email reply I got from Rotor USA...

"The Sram crank will not likely work in that frame. The BB30 spindle is typically only able to fit frames as wide as 68mm with no outboard cups. Our 30mm Aldhu and Vegast cranks use a spindle that is designed to fit a shell as wide as the 70mm ITA threaded BB with the outboard bearing."

So the only viable option to run Sram BB30 cranks is ceramic speed ITA30?

muntos

by muntos

So, I'm looking at the new Aldhu Carbon crankset (https://rotorbike.com/aldhu-carbon/) from Rotor for my Dogma F10 and since the crankset is 30mm spindle, I'm not sure it will fit the frame.
With this ITA30 BB (https://rotorbike.com/catalog/default/r ... ta-30.html) maybe it will work? Anyone tried ?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com