Colnago C60 THNE build

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Beancouter

by Beancouter

Have pulled the trigger on a C60 in black and thought I would seek some views on groupset for my build.

I was planning on DA di2 (I run Ultegra di2 on my CAAD) but am now getting tempted by SRAM etap. Kind of feels wrong putting SRAM on a Colnago but think it might look nice....

As much as I like campag, have never been particularly keen on their electronic stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

I'd be very tempted by etap - no wires - so easy to install. My only pause would be that it is a first generation product.

And I'm a 100% Campy guy but I don't think I'll go electronic until they go wireless.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Since you're leaning towards Di2, and you already have Di2 Ultegra on another bike, I'd say DA Di2. If you didn't care about having bikes with different groups on them I'd say Campy SR Mechanical without hesitation.
Numerous small "buts..." in the Cyclingweekly review on SRAM eTap. That's magazine speak for "it's great, but..." You just have to read between the lines. And why doesn't anyone ever talk about Sram's brakes? They're part of the group as well and they are a pile of mush as far as I'm concerned. Both Shimano and Campy's brakes are far better.
Last edited by Calnago on Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Beancouter

by Beancouter

Calnago wrote:Since you're leaning towards Di2, and you already have Di2 Ultegra on another bike, I'd say DA Di2. If you didn't care about having bikes with different groups on them I'd say Campy SR Mechanical without hesitation.
Numerous small "buts..." in the CyclingNews review on SRAM eTap. That's magazine speak for "it's great, but..." You just have to read between the lines. And why doesn't anyone ever talk about Sram's brakes? They're part of the group as well and they are a pile of mush as far as I'm concerned. Both Shimano and Campy's brakes are far better.

Calnago - food for thought. By coincidence I have a 2015 Record shifter set but was leaning towards electronic.... Will continue to ponder that one !

One of the big decisions influencing the build is the crankset; I am coming from Exogram BB30 so need to buy new - trying to stick to a budget and therefore going with DA is the most economical option but it is a bit on the heavy side. This was one reason for considering the SRAM route given the crankset is relatively light - even lighter if I swap over my Extralite rings.

Interesting point on the sram brakes too - have done a few WW builds with SRAM but have never used the brakeset. My Evo, which I will be stripping down, has Zero Gravity on it, but was assuming I would take the weight penalty and go for the DA (or Planet X which I find give a little more bite).

I think at the heart of my dilemma is that I am WW and the single groupset option is going to cost me extra weight (in addition to the frameset!)

scale29

by scale29

I've got the very same frame set and colour way.

I went for Dura Di2, Mavic Ksyrium SLR and Fizik R1 bar, stem, post and Arione Cx carbon saddle. I can't remember the exact weight off hand but it's ok for me in 56s sizing.

I had a group set dilemma but I was always going to go electronic having used it on other bikes. I love the look of Super Record but really don't care for it in use, also it was the expensive option for me as I picked my 9000 di2 up for £1500gbp. I'd not have SRAM again I don't think, weight or no weight as I just don't like it, my team bike has Force 22 and whilst workman like and cheap it just isn't very nice compared to the hood shape and action of di2 for me.

The brake combo of dura calliper and Mavic rim is superb and the SRAM are scary in comparison.

I bought my c60 to be a bike is like to own and ride for 10 years maybe and I wanted a mile munching, relaxing grand tourer not a bone shaking, nervous F1 if you pardon the analogy.

If you're looking at the C60 you already know it's not the lightest option available so embrace that and have a really nice bike to ride for miles (or Km's)

Beancouter

by Beancouter

scale29 wrote:I've got the very same frame set and colour way.

I went for Dura Di2, Mavic Ksyrium SLR and Fizik R1 bar, stem, post and Arione Cx carbon saddle. I can't remember the exact weight off hand but it's ok for me in 56s sizing.

I had a group set dilemma but I was always going to go electronic having used it on other bikes. I love the look of Super Record but really don't care for it in use, also it was the expensive option for me as I picked my 9000 di2 up for £1500gbp. I'd not have SRAM again I don't think, weight or no weight as I just don't like it, my team bike has Force 22 and whilst workman like and cheap it just isn't very nice compared to the hood shape and action of di2 for me.

The brake combo of dura calliper and Mavic rim is superb and the SRAM are scary in comparison.

I bought my c60 to be a bike is like to own and ride for 10 years maybe and I wanted a mile munching, relaxing grand tourer not a bone shaking, nervous F1 if you pardon the analogy.

If you're looking at the C60 you already know it's not the lightest option available so embrace that and have a really nice bike to ride for miles (or Km's)

Thanks Scale29 - any chance of a rough built weight ... And a picture!

Beancouter

by Beancouter

Interestingly not much in it on the weight of the shifter set anyway.

Any thoughts on non big 3 crankset at a decent price, neutral graphics? Would love a THM M3 but can't justify the price.

AJS914

by AJS914

I think at the heart of my dilemma is that I am WW and the single groupset option is going to cost me extra weight (in addition to the frameset!)

Someone posed here recently that eTap was the lightest road group overall when you factor in the lack of cables.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

For a road bike i would seriously move to Etap!
However, it could be debated how long until this is going through any kind of revision.
OMC Italia crank would be cool on that bike.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

scale29

by scale29

I'll have a weigh and take a pic for you as soon as I can!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Beancouter

by Beancouter

Many thanks - one other question I have been pondering, does anyone know how many C60 are manufactured each year ?